New, needing tips

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
RebekahDW

New, needing tips

Post by RebekahDW » Wed May 13, 2009 10:08 pm

After two years of home schooling, I am ready to branch out from ABeka and am thrilled to have found your program (via Patti --thank you!). I am planning to get the material for my preschool (Sorry -- I did have Little Hands for His Glory marked in my book) and 4th grade (Preparing Hearts for His Glory) children, but have been told my other two will not want to be left out. (I was planning to keep them in ABeka. I will only have to order the child kit for 1st and 2nd grade. Although, I'm also planning to purchase the story time set and emerging reader's set from HOD for them.) Did any of you come from A Beka? Should I switch everyone? If so, what would I need to get? For the fall, I will have --4 yoa, preschool girl; 6 yoa, 1st grade girl; 8 yoa, 2nd grade boy; 9 yoa, 4th grade girl. They have all learned well (A students) but I am wanting a more relaxed schedule for me, a more advanced language program and a new teaching style (for them to be able to learn under different styles). I'm hoping for modern Biblical language,more time to actually listen to them and to adjust to a fourth student. My oldest daughter has two pen pals. She would love a student message board and to have friends throughout the USA and beyond.

DETAILS -- I would rather do four programs than hold anyone back, but they love working together and would enjoy sharing the fun. I have to watch or the middle two will not even listen to my questions letting the oldest hear and answer. They all LOVE all the pictures in the A Beka material which draws them into the material and discussions together.

4 yoa girl is very smart (has a mechanical/mathmatical mind which medication may steal from her), has luekemia and will be needing / enjoy LHandsfHG to learn alphabet, numbers, etc. . . may also miss days depending on treatment and/or side effects (1 1/2 years younger than next sister) She turned 4 in March and has not been consistently with us for 'school;' though she started the year strong, health issues took over. Annalisa lives above the rules which illness only deepens in us all.

6 yoa girl has finished kindergarden, is reading and writing well (hates repetitive lists but enjoys little stories; prefers reading help and does need some), absorbs math, is two full years younger than brother (though I've been asked if they are twins due to size, hair color, etc. . .) Bryanna is joyful (never been in public school), affectionate, laid back, can run the show in play time (dramatic and stong-willed). I'm hoping this material will create in her the love for reading her older siblings have. (July birthday will make her 6 in the fall.)

8 yoa boy is reading independently (probably at a second grade level) loves to learn and explore IN OR ABOUT OUTDOORS (not as advanced in writing or reasoning --unless it is about animals). 1 1/2 years younger than next sister but appropriately put back one year in public school; he will soar over the next year or two (two months premature, no lasting side effects, August birthday makes him 8 for the fall). Corban is a deeply affectionate, protective and caring brother; animal encyclopedia like his father; diamond headed [dad's language for strong-willed] like mom.

9 yoa girl is an avid reader (was reading Box Car Children book last summer in one of two evening settings. I think she finished the series and read from several others.), athlete at heart, perfectionistic tendencies, avid writer (a bit board with previous material), deeply curious and thoughtful (I am hopeful to have time to contemplate, answer and find scripture together for her questions.) loves history and art (would dislike math if mom didn't think math was so great). Mikayla is an independent, compliant socializer who loves to learn but loves people even more.
Last edited by RebekahDW on Thu May 14, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

funkmomma71

Re: New, needing tips

Post by funkmomma71 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:10 pm

RebekahDW,

Welcome!! I would say that if you change over 2 of your dc to HOD the other 2 would feel left out. :( You should take a look at the placement chart http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php in order to decide which program to get for 2 middle ones and your preschooler to be sure that she is ready for LHFHG, which is more of K or 1st grade program. Most likely you'll be able to combine the 2 middle ones in Beyond and do the left side of the plans and storytime together and then break them up for LA and Math. In order to do that you would need to buy the Bigger guide for the advanced LA and Math activities. God Bless.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu May 14, 2009 4:08 pm

this is a friendly bump... to the top of the list. Ladies? can you help her out?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 14, 2009 6:25 pm

RebekahDW wrote:After two years of home schooling, I am ready to branch out from ABeka and am thrilled to have found your program (via Patti --thank you!). I am planning to get the material for my preschool (Little Hearts for His Glory) and 4th grade (Preparing Hearts for His Glory) children, but have been told my other two will not want to be left out. (I was planning to keep them in ABeka. I will only have to order the child kit for 1st and 2nd grade. Although, I'm also planning to purchase the story time set and emerging reader's set from HOD for them.) Should I switch everyone? If so, what would I need to get? For the fall, I will have --4 yoa, preschool girl; 6 yoa, 1st grade girl; 8 yoa, 2nd grade boy; 9 yoa, 4th grade girl. They have all learned well but I am wanting a more relaxed schedule for me, a more advanced language program and a new teaching style (for them to be able to learn under different styles). I'm hoping for modern Biblical language,more time to actually listen to them and to adjust to a fourth student. My oldest daughter has two pen pals. She would love a message board for students and to have friends throughout the USA and beyond.
Rebekah,

I'm thrilled for you that you've found HOD, and I think you will love branching out with it! :D I think you will find HOD gives you a more relaxed schedule, a more advanced LA program, and a fun new teaching style - you hit the nail the head there. The Biblical focus of HOD has helped me so close to my dc, and it's kept me sharing my faith with them on a daily basis. We are so close because of it, and able to share what God means to us so easily. It's just a part of our every day with HOD. :D

Thank you so much for sharing about your dc! The way share about them shows you know them so well and have such a deep love for them, as well as an appreciation for their strengths and differences. I have prayed for your dear 4 yo. She sounds like a capable little gal, may God give her a lion heart.

I've got several options running around in my head, but I am wondering if I could ask you to share just 2 more things? For your 6, 8, and 9 yo - could you please share about their writing and grammar (like have they done copywork, spelling or dictation, written narrations, notebooking type activities; and what level of grammar if any)? Also, if you could please share how well they each listen to read-alouds with and without pictures.

When you look at the placement chart, and consider each of them individually, which program would you guess would fit them each well?
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Then, we'll chat about some options and get a great HOD fit for you and your dc!
:D
In Christ,
Julie
Last edited by my3sons on Thu May 14, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu May 14, 2009 6:32 pm

If it works out with the placement guide, is it possible to pair up the oldest two and youngest two? Then you can simplify your day and he kids each have a partner to learn with.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

RebekahDW

Post by RebekahDW » Thu May 14, 2009 8:42 pm

If it works out with the placement guide, is it possible to pair up the oldest two and youngest two? Then you can simplify your day and he kids each have a partner to learn with.

No. I hope ya'll will find my edits in the original texts. I can't pair the younger two; well, I don't think so. One is a reader and one is a starter (who may miss a good bit depending on her health). They are all great with each other. Reading ya'lls responses to other moms, I may be able to do lots of combining but needed to give you more information.

RebekahDW

Post by RebekahDW » Thu May 14, 2009 9:06 pm

Julie, I'm way down here! The editing is getting the initial info too long, but I can edit more here. I hope I answered your questions; I don't have a teaching background.

6 yoa --Beyond; listens to stories well with or without pictures; finished phonics and able to read emergent reader books; knows and writes numbers, addition, subtraction, before and after numbers, reads clock, counts by 2s, 5s, 10s and change; does dictate and spelling; writes manuscript upper, lower case, and sentences. Has 'seatwork' (independent copywork) most days.

8 yoa --Bigger; mastered cursive, independent reader, understands and applies everything he is taught about math (not advanced, prefers jumping while counting --beginning multiplying, has not memorized tables but beats timed drills on subtracting and adding [touch point], no trouble with story problems independently, counts money), has weekly spelling tests and dictating other words almost daily (not longer passages, but finds verse in the Bible [OT and NT] and copies them daily), does follow daily writing lessons independently and writes sentences independently (I don't think he enjoys it but he does it without complaint; only when assigned and as much as is assigned. His older sister was writing pages at 6 yoa and finishing the first grade. I don't think he is behind, just not like her.) Has 'seatwork' daily, all year.

9 yoa --Creation through Christ (but I wanted to do it the next year); second year of mastered cursive, independent student (She gets up early and has completed several books without me, including Spanish. She is waiting for her language and math lesson so she can get them done before lunch. Waiting only because in the past when she does it without the lesson, she has to redo too much.) She is diagramming sentences (subject, nouns, verbs, adjectives [all that she has been taught]) dictates all she has been given, but can't take sermon notes without helps; copies passages on her own; will write all day with very few grammar or spelling errors. Has 'seatwork' daily, all year.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 14, 2009 10:41 pm

RebekahDW wrote:Julie, I'm way down here! The editing is getting the initial info too long, but I can edit more here. I hope I answered your questions; I don't have a teaching background.

6 yoa --Beyond; listens to stories well with or without pictures; finished phonics and able to read emergent reader books; knows and writes numbers, addition, subtraction, before and after numbers, reads clock, counts by 2s, 5s, 10s and change; does dictate and spelling; writes manuscript upper, lower case, and sentences. Has 'seatwork' (independent copywork) most days.

8 yoa --Bigger; mastered cursive, independent reader, understands and applies everything he is taught about math (not advanced, prefers jumping while counting --beginning multiplying, has not memorized tables but beats timed drills on subtracting and adding [touch point], no trouble with story problems independently, counts money), has weekly spelling tests and dictating other words almost daily (not longer passages, but finds verse in the Bible [OT and NT] and copies them daily), does follow daily writing lessons independently and writes sentences independently (I don't think he enjoys it but he does it without complaint; only when assigned and as much as is assigned. His older sister was writing pages at 6 yoa and finishing the first grade. I don't think he is behind, just not like her.) Has 'seatwork' daily, all year.

9 yoa --Creation through Christ (but I wanted to do it the next year); second year of mastered cursive, independent student (She gets up early and has completed several books without me, including Spanish. She is waiting for her language and math lesson so she can get them done before lunch. Waiting only because in the past when she does it without the lesson, she has to redo too much.) She is diagramming sentences (subject, nouns, verbs, adjectives [all that she has been taught]) dictates all she has been given, but can't take sermon notes without helps; copies passages on her own; will write all day with very few grammar or spelling errors. Has 'seatwork' daily, all year.
Thank you - this is so very helpful, Rebekah! :D You know your dc so well - no need to have a teaching background to share - you gave exactly the details I was hoping you would. :) Here are a few scenarios that come to mind...
1) Your 6 and 8 yo could do either the left side of Beyond Little Hearts together, or the left side of Bigger Hearts together for their core program. This would be for their "Learning Through History" part of the plans. Whichever guide you chose for their core program, you could have your 6 yo do the right side of Beyond for his Language arts and math, and have your 8 yo do the right side of Bigger for his LA and math.
Then, your 9 yo could do Preparing Hearts for His Glory. If you're thinking it would work well to do either Beyond or Bigger for your 6 and 8 yo as a core, then I'd choose Beyond because you will have a very nice rotation going for teaching the HOD guides. You would not be teaching the same guides back to back each year - so it would be Beyond and Preparing this year, and then Bigger and CTC the next year, etc. We've just enjoyed that pace at our house.

2) Or, you could combine your 6, 8, and 9 yo in Bigger Hearts for the core program - using the left side "Learning Through History" with them all, and adding in the history/science extensions for your older dd. Then, you could do the right side of Beyond for your 6 yo. My only worry with this scenario is that it might be too hard for your 6 yo, and your dd may be ready for more writing.

So, I'm leaning toward option #1 thus far. I'll be very interested in your thoughts about this. These are all just ideas, you will certainly know best because you are mom! :D Either way, I think you will love HOD! All of these programs are simply terrific. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

RebekahDW

Post by RebekahDW » Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Thank you, Julie. I will probably go with idea one. Whether I use Beyond or Bigger, I will use grade appropriate math, language, penmanship so they will each be challenged, not overwhelmed or board. I think I want to use Beyond but will get the grammar from Bigger for my 2nd grader and 2nd grade math. Just a bit more digging. I will have this catalog worn out by the time I order (but it will be decided before summer)!! Thanks again. God bless you!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun May 17, 2009 3:05 pm

Rebekah,

I just wanted to welcome you to the board. The ladies have done a good job of helping you discuss possible options that would work for your family. :D I agree that Beyond with some of the right side of Bigger would be a good fit for your 6 and 8 year olds. I also agree that from what you've shared about your 9 year old's skills, she could either do Preparing Hearts or CTC. CTC is designed to be more indpendent for the student, which would make teaching two programs easier on you. However, your oldest daughter would also be on the youngest age range for that guide. Preparing Hearts will require more work from you as the teacher, yet it can be more independent if you train your daughter to use the guide on her own as much as possible. Just a couple things to consider in her best placement. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Jen in Va

Post by Jen in Va » Mon May 18, 2009 6:28 am

I'd put your eldest in Preparing just so she'd have another year to enjoy Carrie's wonderful guides! :wink:
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)