Singapore Math US Edition vs Standard Edition

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
tmcg

Singapore Math US Edition vs Standard Edition

Post by tmcg » Tue May 05, 2009 11:45 pm

I see that the US version will be discontinued at the end of this month. Not sure the exact differences and which is "better." Trying to decide if I should get the US edition while I still can and maybe even order a few extras for the younger children that will eventually use it or not . Please let me know what you all know about this and what is recommended. Thank you.
Tammy
Mom to dd, 6, 1st grade, LHFHG
dd, 5, Pre-K, LHTH
ds, 2, Toddler Pre-K, LHTH (he loves the songs)
Wife to Jonathan (12 years in June)

SoaringEagle

Re: Singapore Math US Edition vs Standard Edition

Post by SoaringEagle » Wed May 06, 2009 5:29 am

Are you talking about the Early Bird series? I know I bought them before they were gone so my son could start using it in Fall '10. I didn't want to have to buy the Standards Edition for K. I really enjoy this series.
~Juli~
Wife to P
Mommy to dd Froggie - age 7 - BLHFHG - August '10
ds Hot Wheels - age 4 - LHTH - August '10

http://soaringeagle91.blogspot.com/

tmcg

Post by tmcg » Wed May 06, 2009 9:10 am

Yes, I want to get the Early Bird 2B because I think the exercises would help my oldest (1st grade). She never got math in K and now I have found we are at stand still with the Primary Math 1A. So, I thought over the summer we could do the 2B book. Then in the fall, she may be more prepared to finish the Primary Math 1A & 1B. My middle is 5 yo and we did K math with her (Early Bird 2A/2B) and she is doing great and almost done. So, then I'll get Primary 1A/1B workbooks for my 5 yo to do this fall. My little guy is going on 3 yo so I would just be getting it for later.

So, my question is.....is the US Edition better? Should I get it while I can or will I regret that later because the Standard Edition has more or be harder to transition to later? What is the difference between the two editions? Why is the US Edition being discontinued? I found on the Singapore site that the Standard Editon is to meet California standards. Do not know if this good or bad.

Are they only discontinuing the US Edition of Early Bird or Primary and Secondary Mathematics too? I hate to hear they are doing that when so many people seem to like it. So, please tell me what you all would recommend and what your thoughts are. I hate to buy up the discontinued stuff just to find I should have just gotten the new stuff.

Help!
Thanks.
Tammy
Mom to dd, 6, 1st grade, LHFHG
dd, 5, Pre-K, LHTH
ds, 2, Toddler Pre-K, LHTH (he loves the songs)
Wife to Jonathan (12 years in June)

SoaringEagle

Post by SoaringEagle » Wed May 06, 2009 10:47 am

On the Singapore website, the only books that are being discontinued is the Early Bird series. The US primary math is still going to be published as far as I know. I wanted to buy the EB series before they are discontinued because they are way cheaper than the Standards math book for K.
~Juli~
Wife to P
Mommy to dd Froggie - age 7 - BLHFHG - August '10
ds Hot Wheels - age 4 - LHTH - August '10

http://soaringeagle91.blogspot.com/