cursive question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Susan

cursive question

Post by Susan » Tue May 05, 2009 7:50 pm

My daughter has learned all the cursive letters and can write words and sentences, but she has trouble reading cursive writing. When and how does this skill occur?
Susan

my3sons

Re: cursive question

Post by my3sons » Tue May 05, 2009 8:12 pm

HI Susan! We did Cheerful Cursive last year, and one of the things it had my ds do was read cursive sentences and write manuscript from that. Anyway, it may be worth a trip through that - here's another post I just posted about it:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3674

However, if that idea does not appeal to you :wink: - you could just begin writing some of your markerboard lessons in cursive for her to get used to reading, or even just a one sentence message in cursive for her to read each morning... like, "If you can read this note in cursive, help yourself to the chocolate chip cookie hiding in the basket on the kitchen table". (That would motivate ME to read cursive.) :wink: I really think she will be able to do this over time as her cursive becomes more second nature, and as she sees other cursive written. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Susan

Post by Susan » Wed May 06, 2009 3:45 pm

Julie,
I like the idea of the personal message in the morning! I may run her through Cheerful Cursive, too. I'll take a look at it. Also, I've been reading your weekly summaries of Preparing and I'm excited to do that with my dd next year. I love CTC and am so tempted to move on since my daughter is older, but your comments about Preparing are encouraging me to stay on course. My dd is 10 and has vision problems so reading has been difficult. However, she did gain a whole level of reading this year. So I'm grateful. Preparing will be perfect at her reading level!! Have fun at the conference!
Susan

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat May 09, 2009 6:48 am

Susan wrote:Julie,
I like the idea of the personal message in the morning! I may run her through Cheerful Cursive, too. I'll take a look at it. Also, I've been reading your weekly summaries of Preparing and I'm excited to do that with my dd next year. I love CTC and am so tempted to move on since my daughter is older, but your comments about Preparing are encouraging me to stay on course. My dd is 10 and has vision problems so reading has been difficult. However, she did gain a whole level of reading this year. So I'm grateful. Preparing will be perfect at her reading level!! Have fun at the conference!
Susan
Thank you for your encouraging words, Susan. I just finished by morning Bible quiet time, and thought I'd quickly try to get on the board before heading to the conference. This was such a nice post to start with, and I do think you will enjoy PHFHG with your dd. I am celebrating with you that she made such gains in reading this year! I think that is so important, and you are wise to base your placement decisions on a program that will complement and encourage that growth. :D Your dd is blessed to have a mom who weighs her needs carefully when choosing a curriculum.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Susan

Post by Susan » Sat May 09, 2009 7:17 pm

Julie,
Did you write the devotion book that Carrie is selling through HOD? Or is she selling it? I've seen a devotion book for moms on this website, I think. How can I purchase it for next year?
Thanks,
Susan

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat May 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Susan wrote:Julie,
Did you write the devotion book that Carrie is selling through HOD? Or is she selling it? I've seen a devotion book for moms on this website, I think. How can I purchase it for next year?
Thanks,
Susan
Yes, I wrote "God's Hand in Life's Little Moments" as a devotional for homeschool moms - hopefully as an encouragement for you as a well-deserving homeschool mom. :D Here is a link to the devotional:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/gods-hand.php

I pray it is a blessing to you!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Sat May 09, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi Susan!

We would write out a scavenger hunt in simple short cursive sentences on 3x5 cards. My boys loved this!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing