Rod and Staff schedules and sequence

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
threegreatkids

Rod and Staff schedules and sequence

Post by threegreatkids » Tue May 05, 2009 7:11 am

I'm a bit confused about what to use if we switch to R&S. My daughters would be in CtC in grades 4 and 5, with only informal grammar instruction (PLL/ILL). I was looking at the Language Arts page on the HOD site, and it says that R&S 3 is for grades 4 and 5, or advanced 3rd graders. But why is R&S 3 not scheduled in CtC? (Looks to me like only levels 4 and 5 are recommended on the CtC page). If we started level 3 when they were in grades 4 and 5 they could still get to level 6 by 8th grade, right?
My philosophy is to wait a bit on formal grammar, and yet I see that life would be easier if we switched to R&S assuming we make the switch to HOD.
Does this make any sense?
Thanks!
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

momontheprairie

Re: Rod and Staff schedules and sequence

Post by momontheprairie » Tue May 05, 2009 8:47 am

If it helps any, I was in the same boat this past week and we are doing R&S that does not line up with the guides. We are doing Bigger with R&S 3 and 5 with my kids. I just pencil in what pages in what books in the little box. :D

My kids have had very little grammar too, but I am surprised how much they have learned from PLL,ILL. Save for all writing (I am not opposed to oral work) my almost 8 year old is fine in level three. My older two are reviewing with their little brother and starting level 5.

We'll see how it goes.
Carrie
Married to Major Dan for the last 13 years. :)
Preparing with ds 11, 9, and 7
Little Hearts with dd 4
Everyone does MUS, Queen's LL, Latin, and Bedell at mealtimes :)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 05, 2009 4:20 pm

threegreatkids,

Depending on how much of PLL and ILL your kiddos have had, you could place both in Rod and Staff Level 4 (at half-speed) doing half of 4 one year and the other half the next as scheduled within CTC. Typically, I'd recommend that your 4th grader do Rod and Staff 3, but since you have a 4th and a 5th grader it makes sense to keep them together. Just another option to consider. If you'd like a more gentle route, then Rod and Staff 3 would work well for both. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

tmcg

Post by tmcg » Wed May 06, 2009 9:56 am

What is PLL and ILL?
Tammy
Mom to dd, 6, 1st grade, LHFHG
dd, 5, Pre-K, LHTH
ds, 2, Toddler Pre-K, LHTH (he loves the songs)
Wife to Jonathan (12 years in June)

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Thu May 07, 2009 6:59 am

Thanks, Carrie and Carrie, for the clarification about R&S...it's nice to know that there is some flexibility!

Tammy, PLL=Primary language lessons and ILL=Intermediate language Lessons :)
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

jcbchristy

Post by jcbchristy » Thu May 07, 2009 11:29 am

Are PLL and ILL the same thing as Preparing to Build: English 2 and 3? Is this the same as R&S English? What is CtC? I am having a hard time figuring out what to use for English.

Thanks,
Christy