High school

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Love2Learn

High school

Post by Love2Learn » Fri May 01, 2009 3:14 pm

I apologize in advance for really jumping the gun here, but I do have a rising 7th grader which, gulp, could also be called junior high - so this of course has led me to think about and look into high school requirements for college.

Carrie, I am wondering how your future guides will handle high school (if at all) with the extension packages. Looking at the Scope and Sequence chart of the new catalog, p. 8, will you continue to add extension packages to each year to extend the learning for olders? My son will be in 9th grade the year that "The Age of Exploration 1550-1800's" is projected to be published (he is at the upper end of the age range for your programs). At this point do you plan on including high school plans (where credits can be earned) or will you keep the programs through 8th grade?

BTW, thank you for such a wonderful year with Preparing...
Jennifer

eazbnsmom

Re: High school

Post by eazbnsmom » Sat May 02, 2009 8:02 pm

bump
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

momontheprairie

Post by momontheprairie » Sat May 02, 2009 10:02 pm

:D I want to know too.
Carrie
Married to Major Dan for the last 13 years. :)
Preparing with ds 11, 9, and 7
Little Hearts with dd 4
Everyone does MUS, Queen's LL, Latin, and Bedell at mealtimes :)

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Sun May 03, 2009 5:52 am

ok didn't have time last night, but here are couple of links in which Carrie discusses high school:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=820&p=6069&hilit=Notgrass#p6069

http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/vi ... ass#p24843
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

momontheprairie

Post by momontheprairie » Sun May 03, 2009 8:49 am

Carrie,
The Hands-on grammar program that you mentioned was one I was looking for for weeks! I had saved the link somewhere and could NOT find it and it drove me crazy. Thank you!
Carrie
Married to Major Dan for the last 13 years. :)
Preparing with ds 11, 9, and 7
Little Hearts with dd 4
Everyone does MUS, Queen's LL, Latin, and Bedell at mealtimes :)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon May 04, 2009 8:50 pm

Jennifer,

Our last guide will potentially work for a 9th grader with the addition of a geography program (which is typically what is required for 9th grade rather than a history requirement). We do plan to have extension packs written for all future guides and will be making recommendations as to what could be added to make the guide work for a 9th grader. :D

As we explore high school options much more deeply for our own son, we have had quite a few changes to our original thoughts on high school. We'll be glad to share those when we wrap up this guide this summer. Right now, writing is consuming all my "free time", so ask again when we get to July! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Wed May 06, 2009 8:26 am

Very interesting! Will stand by and ask later!

Thank you above poster for the links to past posts, that helps to know where Carrie stands at this point for the HS years.

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed May 06, 2009 12:59 pm

I have a high school resource I am really pleased with--Rod and Staff's History/Geography based on Baker's Bible Atlas. It is tucked in with the Bible items and listed for 7-10th (I think). I am AMAZED with the Biblical geography we are learning. You could add this to HOD Ancients. The only drawback for me is that it is a little difficult to schedule, as I have not found any scheduling guide for it. I have two high school students next year, and I am coupling this with BJU's world history (We will just be covering the Ancients time period--not the entire BJU World History book since we are adding the Rod and Staff.) I will be adding other things as well, but these are my spines. (I have to write my own history since they are too old for Carrie's guides.) My 6th grader will be doing the HOD Ancients program, the 7 and 9 year olds--Bigger, and the 4 and 3 year olds--LHTH. And the baby will just look cute!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.