Box Day!!!! But feeling a little overwhelmed!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
maddykate

Box Day!!!! But feeling a little overwhelmed!

Post by maddykate » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Yea!!! We got our boxes today and we are all so excited. We cannot wait to get started once we get settled in South Korea. But.... I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all the books. Since we are leaving the country and the area we are going to doesn't have a good library, I bought every set of books for Bigger and DITHR. Now, I am overflowing with these wonderful books and don't know how to organize them.

How have you all organized the books? Do you separate them according to genre or level? or both? I also have alot of our other books that I would like to add to our library but don't know how to include them. Any ideas or advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Amanda

Marsha

Re: Box Day!!!! But feeling a little overwhelmed!

Post by Marsha » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:33 pm

I always label by color, then write what they are on it.

Like I would do green for Bigger and all of the books because the manual is green, then write if it is Science or whatever on the side.
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:38 am

Amanda,

Congratulations on your BOX DAY! :D Marsha gave you great advice on color coding your books. Once you get them labeled and organized you will feel so much better. You are going to have a wonderful year! :D

Your guides will do a great job of telling you when you need each book. You may also wish to clip out the DITHR book pack listings from the catalog or print them off the website and just glue or tape those inside your DITHR guide or inside the cabinet where you keep your books to refer to as you head on through DITHR. :D

On paper, I make a list of the genres in order for my storytime read-alouds to go with my guide and then note the book title I'm reading aloud next to it. On a separate sheet of paper (for each child), I also make a list of the order of the genres I will do for DITHR for the year and write the book title(s) the child will read for DITHR next to the genres I chose. I tape these lists inside the door of my cabinet where I store the storytime and DITHR books (and the books from the science book packs and the history books too), and we check the books off as we go through the year. Then, I have a different cabinet where I keep all of the kiddos current work (including the DITHR guide/Student Book, the DITHR book they're currently reading, our current science book, our current storytime book, and our current history books that we need every day). :D

Happy organizing! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:40 pm

I am the bin lady. I have all the guides now. Each guide with their books are in their own bin. They are all currently on a shelf in our school closet. The stuff that we are using now are on a book shelf in the living room. I also have a bin for just math guides/workbooks and a bin for english guides/workbooks. There is also a bin for 'reading' books that go with DITHOR and for my littles learing to read. So far this system works for me. We move this winter and I hope that the movers just move my bins into boxes. I did that when I moved myself last winter/spring. I have a desk with all writing items along with scissors and glue. Craft suplies are also in the school closet.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/