Curious, how did you first learn about Heart Of Dakota?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
netpea

wow

Post by netpea » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:09 pm

joyfulheart wrote:Then he said he'd pray for my soul (I have the email saved cause it's kinda freaky) I ran away from Konos that day.
:(
My goodness! I'd run too. I've never seen KONOS so I don't know anything about it but that would freak me out.

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:04 pm

I found HOD when browsing the Rainbow Resource Catalog-this was last year, and RR only had up to Beyond available. I was disappointed, because I thought maybe it would be too light for my girls. Then I searched for the website, and lo and behold, Bigger was coming out. After discussing it with Carrie by email, she helped me confirm Bigger would be the better choice, and I am so HAPPY we found HOD!!!
I used MFW K and it was OK-but it was a bit tedious, but I truly could not continue after ECC-it was so hard for me to follow, and over my younger kids' heads!
I have used many things over 11 years- CLP, Calvert, Oak Meadow, AOP, Christian Cottage, putting my own things together-I can honestly say, this has been the BEST year of homeschooling EVER, and I will stick with HOD as long as Carrie keeps writing :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:49 pm

I found LHTH while looking for a preschool program. I wanted something with structure but not overload with extras and workbooks. I liked what I saw online but wasn't sure about buying without looking. Then I learned that my neighbor had the book and liked it. I bought a day or so after from an online bookstore. It's going so well that I ordered the rest of the guides for furture use. After reviewing the books I decided to add my oldest to the program. I learned of this forum from ladies on a homeschooling forum. Before I just looked at the main HOD site. It's nice to be able to 'talk' with others who use the same stuff.

my2guys

Post by my2guys » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:52 pm

Last spring I was doing some Letter of the Week stuff with my then 3 yr old ds and he was enjoying it, but the prep was taking me FOREVER. I starting asking around on a Christian moms board that I belong to and a few of the moms mentioned Little Hands to Heaven. I started reading about it and looking at reviews and it was exactly what I was looking for. We starting using it this past fall, and the rest is history! We love it. :D
Sharon
2017-2018
Ben (14yo) 8th with MTMM
and
Sam (12yo) 6th with RTR
Have already used and enjoyed: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR & Rev to Rev

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:06 pm

I fist heard of HOD while searching online for a curriculum for my struggling reader. I needed something that wasn't necessarily one "grade level" and felt Beyond was a perfect fit! It certainly was. :)

Lil Mama Bird

Post by Lil Mama Bird » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:51 pm

I was at my first homeschooling convention walking around, not sure where to start. I found out I was pregnant a few days before and I did not feel well either. By the time I got to their area I was nauseous and tired (and needed to sit down).
Carrie's mom came right up to me and was so gentle and kind. She pulled up a chair and got me some water :D Obviously they made a great impression! The curriculum made a great impression also. I loved what they had to say and really liked how it was laid out. It seemed very easy for a first timer like me.

We ended up only using our LA and math the next year to keep it simple, and this year I used MFW ADV. It wasn't a good fit at all, and I'm in the process of switching over to Beyond for the rest of this year. I wish I would of gone with my initial thoughts!

Krys
DD 6 - 1st, DS 4 - pre-k and speech therapy for apraxia, DD 2 - sassy toddler ;)
We will be finishing out current year with BLH (using separate LA & Math.)

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:16 pm

Lil Mama Bird wrote:I was at my first homeschooling convention walking around, not sure where to start. I found out I was pregnant a few days before and I did not feel well either. By the time I got to their area I was nauseous and tired (and needed to sit down).
Carrie's mom came right up to me and was so gentle and kind. She pulled up a chair and got me some water :D

Krys
I LOVE this story!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:36 pm

I met Carrie and Julie at the homeschool convention several years ago. It was the first one dh and I went to, and we had already decided to take no money on day one, but just shop. Then we could really avoid the impulse purchases. We talked to Julie on day one, and knew we'd be back! So day two we took exactly what we would need to buy DITHOR. Ever since then I've been on the "mailing list" and was so happy to see the preschool program, and we bought that the next year. Then the next boy in line is a really strong workbook learner, so I kept my fliers in my wish file. And lo and behold, the next boy in line was doing so well with the LHTH that I knew we could go ahead with the rest of the HOD stuff, and that's why at next conference I will be buying a cartload of stuff at the HOD booth! :D
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

eazbnsmom

I discovere online

Post by eazbnsmom » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:26 am

I had been looking at MFW ever since my oldest dd was in Kindergarten, but being on a tight budget never went with it.....This coming year we will be starting our 4 year history cycle over and I decided I was going to do MFW for my two older girls, but could not afford to buy 1st & K for my younger boys, but still researched MFW anyway.....so I googled it and was reading a board that was suggesting HOD to someone, so I thought I would check it out. I discovered that LHFHG would cover both my K & 1st w/o having to do 2 separate curriculums and it the TM was very affordable......I am so excited...I did consider doing Preparing with my girls next year, but havent been able to see any samples of it and would like to stay with the 4 year history cycle...

Am very excited about this program though and telling my hs friends about it!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:34 pm

My dh and I went to a hs conference 4 yrs. ago. (My dd was only 3 weeks old and so there aren't a lot of things that stick out in my mind... :? ) We were just ready to get started hsing and were looking at thinkgs for our 1st ds. I remember HOD's display and talking briefly to a nice lady :D . (It seemed too simple to be a whole curriculum to me...little did I know that is one of the great things about it!)

We ended up sending our ds to a small Christian school for 2 years and brought him home this year. I already had an assortment of things from a freind that I used this year for him. We can't wait to start Bigger this summer/fall!

I actually looked into HOD last summer. I decided to get LHTH for my dd and read through the web site and highly reccommended LHTH or LHFHG to my sister for her 4/almost 5 yr old. We are both loving it this year! (I'm usin LHTH and she's using LHFHG.) I so wish that I had used LHTH for my 1st ds for preschool. He would have loved it so much more than what we did!

Throughout this year I have known that I wanted to do something different and have looked into Sonlight, TOG, MFW...but kept coming back to HOD. I love the fact that it is Christ-centered!! :D And I don't plan on changing any of it which will make it so easy to do!
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH