Curious, how did you first learn about Heart Of Dakota?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Candice

Curious, how did you first learn about Heart Of Dakota?

Post by Candice » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:06 am

When I first began researching homeschooling, about 2-3 years ago, I would constantly do searches online to learn more. HOD came up and I thought, hmmm, this looks good. So, it had been bookmarked for quite some time and eventually became my #1 favorite. So glad I happened upon it!

So, what's your story?

Candice

annaz

Post by annaz » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:10 am

Well Shera (Sarah) told me about it, of course!!!

:lol:

paliz

Post by paliz » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:18 am

I'm not 100% sure how I found them anymore. I think I was looking for a preschool program and found LHTH at CBD.

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:24 am

I found it a little over a year ago when I began researching curriculums for K. I think it came up on a google search. I looked into many other programs, but just kept coming back to HOD. I'm so glad that I did. :D

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:35 am

I Got stuck and frustrated trying to do kindergarden myself. I Went to a homeschool conference with my friend Di who helped me clarify what exactly it was that I wanted, before I walked into the convention. This was Awesome She was a been there done that homeschooling mom, Who helped me tremendously! *Thanks Di Profusely*

I walked around the conference and did not find what I wanted. Unless I combined the pieces myself. Grrrr! I was afraid of doing that because I wanted an easy button.

Then I found HOD! it fit my ideal best, it wasn't "perfect" but it was so close as to not matter. Then the Price! As missionaries it was wonderful! I only had $200.00 to spend on DD's school books graciously sent by her Aunti. I walked out of the conference in a daze. I had everything I needed for DD and I still had $50.00 left over! My hubby was so very happy! And DD got a gymnastics class.

Also Carrie spent at least 30 min calming my worries and showing me how everything worked. *Thanks Carrie Profusely*
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

shera

Post by shera » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:40 am

I first heard about it when another mom gave me her homeschooling stuff. My ds was starting k and she gave me a LHTH manual. She didn't have any of the resources only the manual. Homeschooling ended up not working out for her. I looked at the manual and said no way can I use this. It probably wasn't the right level for me. I sold it, went on my merry way and then W2W, Mary and some others (forget who :oops: ) started talking about it on Homeschool Reviews. I took a second look pondered for a while and decided to give it a try for a yr whats it going to hurt. It may be a better fit than what we were using.

Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:43 am

I found it but was afraid I could not pull it off with all my kids. Then I think I forgot and came back to it as a side thing for MFWK. So we started out just doing it here with MFWK for my older child just as an idea book really for my older child. Then I put it aside because MFW K was too taxing for us :cry: and I felt like I needed to get that down. Then one day I looked at it and thought what am I doing. MFW frustrates me :x and HOD frees me :lol: Why is it second fiddle? So sold MFWK and did the happy dance to HOD.

Then helping Mary really made me see that I could maybe get my other kids into HOD. Speaking with Carrie sealed the deal and hear we are and loving it! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:23 am

Another MFW dropout! I was looking for a curriculum that was Christ-centered AND would let me combine my kids for everything except math and reading (doing individual lessons there). I tried using Ambleside and Sonlight...never could get into Winterpromise...and somehow stumbled upon HOD. Perfect!
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

momof4

Post by momof4 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:30 am

I found LHTH in a homeschooling catalog at our local Christian bookstore. My sil kept telling me I didn't need a program to teach preschool, but then she has been homeschooling for close to 20 years. I have no clue what I'm doing and I really liked the idea that everything was right there. Just open and go.

I also liked that almost everything revolves around the bible story for the day. When my husband and I began discussing homeschooling our little guy, our first and main goal is that we lead him closer to God and Jesus. Our other kids have been to ps and private and they both have a good relationship with God, but they are still missing some. It's not a "pray unceasingly"; "seek first the kingdom of God" relationship, yet. They can always learn more knowledge, but if they don't have Christ to lean on/depend on life is so much harder. I don't know. We've just had some really in depth conversations lately about where we are and where God wants us to be that we just want more for all of them. Now the question is how do we get there??

So I think I got sidetracked alittle there. Anyway, we are VERY happy we found Little Hands and are really looking forward to Little Hearts next year!

Laurie
dd's 22, 17
ds 9 - Bigger
dd 5 - LHFHG

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:56 am

The first time I saw it was at a Homeschool convention. A very nice man explained it to me, but it did not appeal to me. Then after a year and a half of doing my own thing, and being totally frustrated about having so much to prepare I picked up MFW at a store. When I was about to pay I saw HOD and decided to take another look and knew right away that I had found what I was looking for.
I still look around, browse around, think that I need to do something else, but end up coming back. I guess I do that because I cannot really believe that I have found a perfect match for our family.
Thanks Carrie!
Dorla

netpea

Preschool

Post by netpea » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:21 pm

We put our son in preschool at the local public school for about a month and realized that wasn't where we wanted him. So we quit and I walked into the local homeschool store (which is now closing :cry: ) and I was overwhelmed by all the choices.

I felt drawn to a particular aisle where LHTH was sitting right at eye level. We loved it, so we used LHFHG and loved it. Beyond was not quite out yet when I went to a convention and saw MFW Adventures and started second guessing myself. We HATED adventures. Now we're back to HOD and using Beyond. Can't wait to use LHFHG next year with my youngest.

:lol:
HOD rocks!

awanama

Post by awanama » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Well, I found out about them at a homeschool conference some years ago. At that time, DITHOR was out and they were just releasing the first of the For His Glory series. I went and listened to Carrie speak about DITHOR. I never did use it because at that time I was so afraid to move away from traditional methods. Now as I become more experienced, I wonder why I never used it or something similar.

Erica

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:36 pm

I heard about it from crazy women over on the HSR's board! (Water2wine, my3sons)
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:20 pm

I bought Konos Obedience used and was reading it. And reading it. And reading it. And really not getting it. And then some guy on the Konos groups really scared me away when he tried putting me on a guilt trip for not paying $30 a month for some internet instructions on how to use the program effectively. Then he said he'd pray for my soul (I have the email saved cause it's kinda freaky) I ran away from Konos that day.

I started looking again, and really felt driven to teach early american history, and everyone was on Homeschoolreviews raving about HOD, so I started researching. And reading. And reading. But this time, it mostly makes sense. And nobody is asking me to pay $30 a month, or praying for my soul because I wont join anything, or sending me creepy emails. LOL

I'm selling the Konos and using the money to pay for the history and science books for HOD.

And I feel REALLY REALLY good about the decision!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:41 pm

joyfulheart- I was a bookstore yesterday and saw that curriculum. I was obviously just looking. But when I opened it up I thought wow there looks like there is some good stuff here but what a headache looks like comes with it. And honestly it looked like things were not connected very well biblically. Just a quick look at it and I was so relieved I never went that way. For me it looked like a migraine in the making. Flip over the back and it was a $100 instant headache. My dd looked at it and said "Mommy they need the HOD lady to fix this. How do you know what to do?" Kid you not! I'm sure it is great for somebody out there but definitely not for us!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)