Question about spelling in Beyond and advice on storytime

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happyhomeschooling

Question about spelling in Beyond and advice on storytime

Post by happyhomeschooling » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:09 pm

This week we started Beyond (and are loving it!!) I have a question about the spelling list. The "first grade" spelling list is too easy for dd, tried the "second grade list" which she did just fine on, so even though she is doing first grade, should I be using the first grade list, or is it fine to do the second grade list if the first is not challenging her??

Now about story time, we are reading Benjamin West, and the chapters are longer then were the storytime books in
LHFHG. My dd seems to be having a hard time paying attention when I am reading. Should I stop after every 1-2 paragraphs
and explain what it says or should I challenge her to concentrate and listen through the whole chapter not stopping until
it is done??
Thank you in advance for any insight!
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

my3sons

Re: Question about spelling in Beyond and advice on storytime

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:28 pm

HOORAY! I'm glad you and your little sweetie are enjoying Beyond. :D We are using the second list for Beyond now, and several years back my oldest ds used the second list during Beyond as well. That works just fine! The next year, in Bigger Hearts, you will just have her do Dictation Level 1 next.

As far as stopping to explain while reading out loud - you don't want to do that. I remember asking that very question when I started Beyond with my oldest ds. I was told that was a "no-no" :lol: according to CM. So, I braved the waters and decided to keep reading with the hope that he'd begin to be able to listen to longer books more attentively over time. It worked! Just give your dd some time, and I know the same thing will happen for you that happened for each of my dc. If you are still feeling the need to explain - you could break the reading up into 2 segments each day, maybe one during homeschooling, and one before bed. But, I really do think time will solve this! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Last edited by my3sons on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:34 pm

We tested out Benjamin West and found it was difficult reading. We then tried the Helen Keller book which was a hit for my DD. So maybe you'd want to try some books out of the gender specific packs.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:20 am

happyhomeschooling,

The ladies are giving you wonderful advice! :D I also wanted to pop-in and mention that the List 1 in spelling does start out quite easy to be more of a review of the short vowels, not really requiring any spelling muscles but just helping kiddos get in the routine of spelling. After the first 9 weeks or so, the lists do get harder, so you will want to keep that in mind. My little guy sailed through all of the spelling lists, missing only a few words all year. Yet, it was good practice before getting to dictation. :D

As far as Benjamin West goes, I agree that the chapters are longer. Since you have 20 days to read Benjamin West, I'd just read 1/2 or even less of a chapter in each sitting. You could always split the reading session if needed too. My boys loved Benjamin West and still remember it! I also agree that Hellen Keller is easier and very interesting! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Thank you ladies for your adivce, you have given me good info to go on. I appriciate it ever so much, and gosh
after finishing LHFHG it was hard to imagine this curriculum could get any better, but wow, we are just loving it
so much. HOD is just a precious precious gift to our family.
Thanks again for all the advice!!
Blessings :D
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG