Anyone use CLE Learn to Read w/ HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tiffany

Anyone use CLE Learn to Read w/ HOD?

Post by Tiffany » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:20 pm

I would really like to use CLE Learn to Read and was wondering if anyone here uses it with their children. Did you like it? Since they don't have K did you start in K and stretch it out? Do you plan on continuing with their reading program?
*Tiffany*
Happily married to Aaron...
Mom to...Brac and Emma
Looking forward to beginning our homeschooling journey with HOD and CLE :)

Patience

Re: Anyone use CLE Learn to Read w/ HOD?

Post by Patience » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:02 pm

Just wanted to say hello and sorry that no one responded. I am guessing that means there are not many that have used it. I haven't either. Have you been able to find out any more information since you last posted this?
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

1GirlTwinBoys

Post by 1GirlTwinBoys » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:10 pm

I tried using it before knowing about HOD but I did not like it. I felt like it must be me though because so many others love it and have had success with it. There was just way too much verbage and writing IMO. The parent script was all over the place and confusing. CLE is revising this program and their 1st grade LA. The new editions will not come out until at least June from what I have read.

I'm using Phonics Pathways because that is what I found after sending back the CLE program. We are having success with it so I won't change.
Daughter~ 7 (2nd grade)
Twin Boys~ 6 (1st grade)

Amey

Post by Amey » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:04 pm

We used it and really loved it. We did not start until first grade as we had used Explode The Code in K. The beginning was review, but it was good. My son finished it about a month ago and instead of using the CLE LA I decided to finish up his phonics instruction (only the things we had not covered with LTR) with Phonics Pathways. The CLE LA was just too much and I wanted him to be able to relax and enjoy his new found skill of reading so we are doing PP and the emerging Readers schedule from HOD. HTH! :D
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:35 pm

I am a CLE lover and I detested Learning to Read. :( I really WANTED to like it, but I just didn't. And neither did my ds. We are now continuing with our ETC and we have picked up Phonics Pathways to finish phonics. :) As soon as we finish phonics (this summer, most likely), we will continue to work through ETC for extra practice and we will then start the emerging readers listed in the HOD Bigger manual. :)
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.