HOD and spelling challenges

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4froggies

HOD and spelling challenges

Post by 4froggies » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:15 am

My dd will be 10 when we begin CTC in the fall. Spelling has been a struggle for her. We use a spelling program which is working for her, but is teacher intensive (all 1 on 1 instruction). I would love to use the prepared dictation technique, but am worried that it might not work. Does anyone have experience using HOD's method with a "challenged" speller :) ? Thanks!
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

Michelle

Re: HOD and spelling challenges

Post by Michelle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:31 pm

Oh my goodness!! Spelling problems with my ds have been my life for the last week! :!: No, really! I was on the homeschoolreviews.com forum and asked for advice because my ds is 9 and still spells terribly and very phenotically.

One person wrote back that my ds sounded like her ds and that they think it is something called Stealth Dyslexia. Google it and you'll find info. on it if you suspect that. I did because in additon to his poor spelling, he still frequently mixes up his b and d, skips small words when reading (like "the" that he CAN read, it's like he doesn't even see them) and longer words and never before seen words out of context really trip him up. The reason that it's called "stealth" is because these kids read well, so dyslexia is never even thought of. My ds is in 3rd grade and reads at a 4th grade level.

In doing all this dyslexia research I found a spelling program called Sequential Spelling. They do more than just spelling too and it was written by a dyslexic for dyslexics and they say it works great for non-dyslexics too! I would definately check that out. Someone also recommended a reading program called Spalding because they said that the dc spelling improved greatly in doing that reading program.

Sequential Spelling is 1 on 1, but daily lessons are supposed to be 15 min. or less. Also, a DVD version is coming out really soon for the level 1 which they recommend every student begin at no matter what their age. However, they also have a way you can customize your spelling to not have to teach word families that they already know well.
HTH!! :D

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:14 pm

Hello,

Since you mentioned that you might give HOD Dictation a try. Here is a post that may help you ease your mind!

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1246
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

4froggies

Post by 4froggies » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:30 am

Michelle, your son does sound like my dd! You really should check out All About Spelling. It uses the Orton-Gillingham method, which has been proven to work with Dyslexics. Like I said, it is working- (and is the only program that has worked- and we've tried several!) I'm just wondering if she might be ready to move to prepared dictation (but I don't want to waste time and have her get behind if it doesn't work. maybe we could try it this summer...)

We have tried Sequential Spelling. My daughter is such a perfectionist, though, that she was in tears at having to guess at a word she didn't know and then correct it. If your ds doesn't have this problem, though, then SS might work for him.

Thanks for your input!
Beth

Mom to 5 great kiddos (15,11,8,5,2) and one due in October!

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:01 am

For my poor spellers we are still using Carries spelling method from Beyond with word lists from BJU spelling as well as dictation. So far so good, oldest dd's spelling and writing skills have improved greatly this past year and younger dd is coming out of her shell and finally writing on her own!!! I have younger dd write sentences with her spelling words. Older dd is a perfectionist and Spelling Power and Sequential Spelling both drove her to tears.

:D Carries card file method has been so painless for dd...I LOVE IT!!!! :D
Wife to Jesse,
Mom to Michelle, Dawn, Rose, Marie
DD14 Rev to Rev, MTMM in the Fall
Enjoyed Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, and World Geo.

momto3girls

Post by momto3girls » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Spelling. :cry: It is the bane of my (homeschool) existence. My 9 year old daughter is a terrible speller. Her 7 year old sister often corrects her. We tried Sequential Spelling but it was too much writing for her (25 words evey day). I ordered All About Spelling about a month ago and have been working through that. I thought it was working unti she spelled "think" as "thingck." We had just covered that concept the day before and I thought she understood it. It really seems to be a great program but it is expensive and teacher intensive.

So, I'm going to try the narration in Bigger. What do I have to lose? It makes a lot of sense that we remember things that we learn in context (narration) better than in isolation (random spelling lists). The scarey part is that spelling lists *feel* more measureable than narration.

Michelle, thanks for linking that post. It was encouraging. Any more narration testimonies out there?
~~Jenny~~
Wife to Andrew for 21 years
Mom to...

dd15 - HOD next year :-)
dd13 - Res. to Ref.
dd9 - Preparing

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:44 am

Here's some good past posts on dictation: :D

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1246

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1623

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=616

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:29 am

We've loved the results we've gotten with dication /copywork with our ds. He had struggles early on with spelling (and speaking), but the CM methods used in HOD have all but remedied that. He even scored high on his standardized test in spelling - :shock: that was a very pleasant surprise! :) Give it a try - I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised too. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie