DITHOR with 2 dd ??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mansmom

DITHOR with 2 dd ??

Post by mansmom » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Hello ladies...so I will be starting DITHOR with my two daughters this coming year...maybe this summer. They are just finishing Sonlight's Readers 2 Intermediate...which seems maybe a bit harder than the emerging readers from HOD...I'm not sure? I feel like they can pretty much read anything now...but my oldest especially...doesn't want "really small words." Anyway...here are my questions...I can't decide if I should push them (really her) and do Level 3 books or get them used to the DITHOR activities and let them do the Level 2 pack which are books they could definitely read now (a few we have and they have read). And with 2 girls doing DITHOR at the same time....their reading levels are very similar....should I buy a book pack and have them do the same book at the same time...or can 1 do Biography and 1 do say Historical Fiction...or would that just be too crazy...does anyone have two children with the same reading ability doing DITHOR similtaneously?

My original plan was to use the library and let them chose a book from maybe 4 of Carrie's suggestions...but I love the books in the book pack and I'm not sure how to proceed....any help would be appreciated?????? :?

Thanks....
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

mom2boys030507

Re: DITHOR with 2 dd ??

Post by mom2boys030507 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:28 am

I would just pick 3 or 4 books for each daughter and let them choose. I think it would be good for them to be reading different books but in the same genre. Also by you choosing what they can pick from you can push each daughter gently in the way you feel then need to go.

I am currently doing the humor genre with my son. I chose to start DITHOR to gently push him to read longer chapter books. It seems to be working for us.

Karen
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

ccmom

Post by ccmom » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:46 am

I have twin girls I'm doing this program with next year. I was wondering over the same thing with my girls - I wanted to buy the book pack, but didn't want them to have to take turns reading the book each day. I think you have a good idea of giving them each a different book from the same genre. It may lead to great discussion as you compare the different characters, etc. Maybe I'll just get the recommended book list and use it help them each pick a book.

Thanks!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:35 pm

mansmom,

When looking at whether to use the Sample Book Ideas List or whether to use the Book Pack selections instead, it's a good idea to take an honest look at your teaching style and your family's lifestyle. If you are a family that loves going to library and gets it done on a regular basis, then using the Book List works very well. Or, if you are a family that enjoys planning ahead and loves to place books on order at the library, so you'll have them when you need them, then the Book List is also a great way to go. :wink:

If, however, on the other hand your lifestyle right now is too busy to regularly get to the library and the need for a certain book would mean an unplanned last minute trip to the library, or if not having a book on hand would mean Drawn into the Heart of Reading wouldn't get done regularly, then you may wish to look at using the Book Packs instead.

At our house, we happen to be in a season in our life where I need the books on hand to just pluck off the shelf from the book packs and open and go. However, we have been in seasons in our life in the past where I loved planning ahead with the booklist and pre-selecting each title to specifically match my kiddos. Blessedly, DITHR has worked well both ways for us! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:25 pm

Carrie

I think that defintely we would benefit with having the books here (if I hide them up in a closet somewhere)...and that's what I would like to do...but then I don't know what to order...my dd7 would definitely prefer level 2 pack...she is a great reader...but still prefers some pictures etc...PLUS..what I want her to get from DITHOR is the extras that it brings, the digging apart the story...I believe she will really grow as a reader with these activities...so I'm happy to have her read those...but I'm not sure I want my dd9 to read the exact same book as her (there 22 months apart and that may NOT be the best scenerio for my year!)...so do I push her a bit and have her read Level 3...she is really good at comparing, analyzing etc...Beyond has definitely shown me that....this is where I struggle...I want the book packs (I've decided that!) But what I really need is a Level 2 plan B...could you whip that up right quick? :P Or I know dd9 could read the level 3 and probably benefit from me telling her that she can...we are going to do DITHOR at half speed...so i could break the books up into pretty small chunks...I think??? Maybe I need reassurance that that's okay?
Joy

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:47 pm

Joy,

Since your kiddos have already read some of the readers in Level 2, I would lean toward choosing 5-6 of the Drawn into the Heart of Reading genres that you'll be doing and then picking only those Level 2 books for your 7 year old and only those Level 3 books for your 9 year old. That way you won't need to purchase 2 whole packages but will be able to customize the program to better meet both of your daughters needs. :D

A back-up plan would be to just purchase one book pack. If you choose that route it would make more sense to do the Level 3 pack, since you already have read some of the Level 2 books. We've found that small bite-sized readings each day work well for us when doing DITHR (even though my boys love to consume books in their free-time), as it keeps the lessons short and helps the kiddos think more deeply about what they've read. However, you may use the program in whatever way works best for your family, as families do differ! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:37 pm

Thanks Carrie,

It just dawned on my last night that I don't actually have to have ALL the books right away :lol: ...I can pick a few to get started and go from there...it was a lightbulb moment...which you reinforced....thanks!
Joy