I am sooooo confused! Please help me decide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marysmom

I am sooooo confused! Please help me decide

Post by Marysmom » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:07 am

This will be our first year with HOD and I'm very excited about that!!! I love the looks of everything and think it will be a great fit for my dd. I'm just not sure where to start her, though.

She will be 9 in July. We school year round and our new year is getting ready to begin May 1st. I really love the looks of Preparing but I also think Bigger is wonderful. My concerns with Preparing are that DD does not *love* a lot of handwriting and it appears there is alot. Also, the books seem a little more mature than what I feel she would be comfortable with at this point. She is only now reading short chapter books. My concerns with Bigger are that she will be older than the target age range and perhaps the material will be too light for her. She also had US History this past year (although not up to the 1990's, it was up to the Civil War).

Then there is the DITHOR. If I go with Bigger, do I order the 2/3 level of DITHOR? Technically, she will be in 4th grade. We will be doing our own math and LA and I'm not sure how that will fit in with Bigger?

I'm really confused and hope there is someone who can help me out. Thanks!!

Lisa
Lisa, wife to hubby,
mama to 9 year old dd - PHFHG,
adoptive mama to
a Shih Tzu and
a fat cat

eazbnsmom

Re: I am sooooo confused! Please help me decide

Post by eazbnsmom » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:26 am

Hi Lisa,

I know there are ladies here with more experience that will chime in here. From my experience and understanding of the program, based on what you said about her reading and writing skills, I would put her in Bigger. I used Preparing this year with my 10yo and started with my 8yo who was an emerging reader and didn't have strong writing skills and it was to much for my 8yo (but perfect for my older daughter), so I had her sit in with her brother (at that point couldnt afford to get Bigger for her) while we did the left hand side of LHFHG and had her do her own language arts and math. The HOD guides are very flexible with using your own Language Arts and Math. This year she will be doing Bigger with the extension pack and having already viewed it (the extension package), I do not think the history and science is to light at all plus the skills developed in Bigger will get her ready for using Preparing the following year. I think 2/3 guide for DITHOR would be perfect for her.
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:02 am

Welcome to the HOD board, Lisa! :D I agree that Bigger Hearts sounds like a great fit for your dd. We did Bigger Hearts last year, and I think you will find it to be more than enough for your dd. It is a very full program academically, and it does an outstanding job of getting dc ready for the increased writing responsibilities and also the increased level of independent work of PHFHG. :D She is in the target age ranges for Bigger Hearts, so she does not need the extension package. The extension package is meant for 10-11 yo's to read independently, and the reading level is much more difficult. If you are a mom who really loves to read out loud and would like to add even more history/science, you could always get the extension package for that reason, but I don't think that's necessary at all. HOD often recommends beginning with DITHOR's Level 2/3 for dc who have not used the program before. Fourth graders just coming to HOD more often than not begin with Level 2/3, and then for their fifth grade year use Level 4/5. I think this is an excellent way to increase reading comprehension and build foundational knowledge of the story elements, genre studies, and Godly character traits - which will make doing Level 4/5 the next year very successful. These programs are full of deep learning!!! I am very excited for you to begin. You will see what I mean once you do. The guides are so user-friendly for us as homeschool moms because of they way they are organized visually in boxes - but believe me, they are not "simple" programs for dc to do. They encourage balanced, full learning - and you are going to love them! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:31 am

I think I can help some! First of all, your paragraph about how the writing seemed too much for her in Preparing and that the books seemed too mature for her. Well, that is your answer! You should start at her level - which sounds like it is Bigger. Trust your gut there.

As for your concerns about her age.... I am doing Bigger with a 10 year old this fall. He is at the TOP of the age range, but we wanted to do American History. I just ordered the extension package (and because he is reading around a 7th grade level) and I feel comfortable that it will be perfect for him. :)

So, in short, I would go with Bigger for sure for your dd and decide on the extension package based on whether or not you think she will need that extra. It is recommended for 4th and 5th graders. :)

For DITHOR, you may want to start her in the 2/3 level if she is only just beginning to read small chapter books. My son who will be 10 is going to be doing the 4/5 level with Bigger though, so it is not a MUST that you do 2/3. You meet your child where she is as far as level.

Have you checked out the placement chart http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php It was EXCELLENT in helping me place my younger. It is even organized by what is MOST important for you to consider when choosing. It was just wonderful!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

angela&4boys

Post by angela&4boys » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:28 am

Hi Lisa,

Not an experienced voice with HOD as we will start our first year with it as well, but I certainly can relate to the confusion in deciding! However, I would like to say that I have chosen Bigger for our 9yo after much thought, prayer, and advice from all the kind ladies including Carrie.

I chose it for many of the same reasons you are considering (especially physical writing) and I feel very much at peace with our decision. The steps in the catalog really helped me narrow the choices and when I was still not quite sure, I emailed Carrie. She helped immensely. Now, I'm just looking forward to placing our order!!! :D

Praying the confusion will be removed and you will come to a decision that will fit your dd...
Have a blessed Lord's Day,
~Angela~
wife to Greg
Mama to Alex, Aaron, Ben, & Noah
2012-13 Rev to Rev

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Marysmom

Post by Marysmom » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Thank you ladies for your input!! You have reinforced my feelings that Bigger is where we should start. I am still praying about this huge decision and hopefully will come to an answer soon.

Thank you again!

Blessings,
Lisa
Lisa, wife to hubby,
mama to 9 year old dd - PHFHG,
adoptive mama to
a Shih Tzu and
a fat cat

annaz

Post by annaz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:27 pm

My dd is 8, but will be 9 in June. We'll be starting Bigger as well around July.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:24 pm

Lisa,

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you to the board! The ladies have done a terrific job of helping you sort through your placement options to find the best fit for your family. I agree that the placement chart that was linked above is a good place to check to make sure that your child is placed accurately. :wink:

I also agree that from what you've shared that your child would fit well into Bigger Hearts. The biographical coverage of American history should be different from what your daughter has had so far in American history. It will also allow your child to strengthen her writing and reading skills before heading into Preparing Hearts, where she will definitely need those skills in place. :D Doing Bigger Hearts will also give you more of a chance to focus on Drawn into the Heart of Reading, which is great for getting kiddos thinking deeply about what they're reading.

If you have other questions, ask away! The ladies are so gracious about helping one another. The board is a such a blessing! :D

Blessings,
Carrie