Really exciting news - and it involves HOD!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tiffini

Really exciting news - and it involves HOD!

Post by Tiffini » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Hello, fellow HODies. It's been awhile since I've posted, but I've tried to keep up with all of your posts and news. I have some really exciting news to share and HOD plays a part in it!

Today, my dd, Riley, won an art contest. A news crew came out to our house this morning and filmed her receiving the news today that she won! It was incredibly exciting for us. She won a week at a dude ranch in Wyoming for our whole family. She loves horses, she loves nature, she loves art, and she loves the Word of God which were all the ingredients to this art contest. We are so thrilled for her. You can see the news story at this link: http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/re ... p_20090414. You can also see the webpage the contest has created for her at http://www.kidstalkaboutGod.org/riley.

I wanted to let Carrie know about this because HOD has played a part in this. The story opens with a shot of Riley's portfolio and shows several of her drawings and art projects that we have done this year with HOD. If it wasn't for our fabulous year with Bigger Hearts, we wouldn't have had that portfolio to share. The story was very complimentary of homeschooling and I was so happy for that.

And for those of you who have kids who enjoy art, the contest is being extended for another year and will have at least six more winners for next year. The organization is publishing an online Book of John that is illustrated by children. The ages are 5-12 years old to enter. They send out three questions at a time from the book of John and the kids draw an illustration and a written answer for one of those questions. New questions are sent out once they get enough entries for the previous three questions. You can enter as many times as you want. It is a really neat organization and their website has lots of free currriculum and helps for Bible teaching. It is http://www.kidstalkaboutGod.org.

Thanks for letting me share my joy with you all. Riley has been quite ill since January and there have been times we have felt despair during this time. We are just in awe of God and His timing to bring her this gift at the tail end of a very long struggle for her. He is so good. One thing we try to teach the kids all the time is that God is completely sovereign and He always has a purpose for what He is allowing in our lives and it is always for our good. Riley has been learning this during the past few months and it has been hard. I just know that God delighted to give her this very good gift today and I want to give Him the glory and thanks for that.
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

MamaMary

Re: Really exciting news - and it involves HOD!

Post by MamaMary » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:55 pm

Oh Tiffini,

This just makes me want to cry. What a precious gift the Lord gave your family today. It's one that you would hold onto for a LIFETIME!!!!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Wow! That is wonderful news! I am so happy for Riley! Way to go, Riley! God is Awesome.
Congrats!
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

gratefulmama

Post by gratefulmama » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:20 pm

WOW :!: :!: Wow :!: WOW :!:
Congratulations Riley :!: :shock: That picture is so beautiful :!: I'm so excited and happy for you :!: Praise God :!:
Way to go, little girl :!: :!: :D :D :D :D
Wife to my hero for 17 yrs
Blessed to be a mom through the beautiful gift of adoption 4x!
DS (10/03) CTC, DITHOR
DS (5/05) CTC, DITHOR
DD (5/08) LHFHG
DD (02/11)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Tiffini - WOW! I watched the news report online, and you can be so proud of Riley!!! :D Her picture was absolutely beautiful. I loved the way she drew Jesus. She also handled herself so well in the interview and while finding out she won. She just seems like a precious daughter with a heart already full of love for God. So, now I guess it's time for you to saddle up your horses and hit the trails, right? I hope you and your family have a wonderful time at the ranch, and tell Riley all of her HODie moms are super proud of her!!! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Tiffini - I just watched the news report, too. :D How exciting for your family! I'm so glad that Riley was able to have this wonderful blessing after some difficult months. Have a great time on the trails!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:12 pm

WOW, Tiffani, :D
That was so precious! Thanks for sharing. I am so happy for you all. Riley, is so talented!

God Bless you all!
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:30 pm

What a blessing that your daughter won! Congratulations. I am amazed at the picture and what she wrote on it, gave me tears in my eyes. It just so confirms how blessed we are to have HOD to help guide teach our children and help teach them about our Lord and savior Jesus Christ who is most important!
Many blessings and thank you for sharing!
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:29 pm

How awesome!! What a wonderful representation of homeschooling and God's grace. Congratulations :D :D
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:43 am

:D :D :D :D :D That is so exciting! How Wonderful! :D :D :D :D :D
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:10 am

Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful! Tiffini- Thank you for sharing with us. Riley is an amazing artist. Her attention to detail is impeccable. She deserved to win alright!!! Have a great time in Wyoming at the dude ranch. Yeah!!!!!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:30 am

Wow, how exciting! Congrats Riley!
It's so wonderful to see homeschooling portrayed in a good light on the news. It's also encouraging to those of us with younger children in the HOD programs to see great successes from older children using the program.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

familygirl

Post by familygirl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:06 am

Wow! What an amazing picture! Your child definitly has talent, and what a blessing to have parents that recognize and encourage her! Blessings to you all, enjoy your trip :D

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:23 am

Way to go, Riley!! :lol: :lol:
CONGRATULATIONS!!
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG
We have completed: LHFHG & BLHFHG

"For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me and guide me."

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:58 am

Thank you, everyone, for your enthusiastic responses! I showed them to Riley a little while ago. This has been such an exciting time for her and it does my mother's heart so much good to just watch it all.

It really is unusual and neat to see a news story that paints homeschooling in a positive light. We were so thankful for the reporter that came and her kindness and openness to our choice to homeschool. We know that God definitely had a hand in orchestrating all of that! :D
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008