Who here uses just the left side of the plans?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sharonb

Who here uses just the left side of the plans?

Post by sharonb » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:19 pm

The more I think about all of the placement options, the more I think that I'd have to just plan on using just the left side of the plans. I already have our 3R's pretty well figured out, and I'm not sure I could get those to line up just right with the other subjects in the HOD guides. (For example, my 5 year old can do 1st grade math but can't read yet). I imagine it's easier to combine children if you just use the left side of the plans.

BUT, I think it would bother me to only use this curriculum partially. But even if I don't use the 3R's boxes, there's still history, Bible, geography, art, music, and science, right?

funkmomma71

Re: Who here uses just the left side of the plans?

Post by funkmomma71 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:31 pm

The curriculum is very flexible, you could easily do 1st grade math with phonics instruction. That's one of things that drew me to HOD, the flexibility! My dd is pretty much on the same level for everything,"K", but if she were to pull ahead or fall behind in a subject I could easily adjust that part without disrupting the rest of the cuuriculum. Of course, if you love what you're doing now, by all means continue.

In one of your other threads, you mentioned that scheduling is what you needed, well with HOD it's all scheduled for you. Like I said above, it is easy to adjust where necessary and still follow the schedule. Something to think about...
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:37 pm

But how well does that scheduling work for you if you have to flip way ahead in the book to see the plans for math, for example, if your child is ahead in that area? Or if you need the right-side plans from an entirely different guide? I'm just wondering how realistic it is to be able to stay exactly on pace with each and every subject, without a bunch of page-flipping through the guide.

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi Sharon,

I use just the left side and LOVE it! I like that I can now take my HOD and combine more freely with all the different ages. Though I definitely think you can do more than one program. I personally enjoy the flexibility and freedom using one allows us.
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:10 am

I use the left side and I use storytime and science on the right side. [Bigger]
We DO use R & S language, but it doesn't correspond for this kid/this year.
This has worked so well for us.

When I first did Beyond last year, it didn't bother me at all to leave stuff off that didn't fit. Then I began enjoying this board a great deal. Sadly, what ended up going along with visiting was I was feeling a lot of guilt for not using it 100% the way it was written. [The guilt was all self-inflicted.]

As I puttered off the board in the craziness of fall, I was feeling better about adjusting it to fit our needs. It has been a big blessing.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:33 pm

We started off at half speed and now use all the guide-except for Math.I found that Singapore 1a was more his level so we follow the extension plan -sort of and just do the math box if I feel he needs to practice thats skill.Thats the beauty of hs-being able to adjust a curriculum to a perfect fit :D
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:45 pm

momof2n2 wrote: When I first did Beyond last year, it didn't bother me at all to leave stuff off that didn't fit. Then I began enjoying this board a great deal. Sadly, what ended up going along with visiting was I was feeling a lot of guilt for not using it 100% the way it was written. [The guilt was all self-inflicted.]

As I puttered off the board in the craziness of fall, I was feeling better about adjusting it to fit our needs. It has been a big blessing.
This is an incredible testimony!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:35 pm

sharonb wrote:But how well does that scheduling work for you if you have to flip way ahead in the book to see the plans for math, for example, if your child is ahead in that area? Or if you need the right-side plans from an entirely different guide? I'm just wondering how realistic it is to be able to stay exactly on pace with each and every subject, without a bunch of page-flipping through the guide.
I use a weekly planner to keep track of what we are doing for the upcoming week. Since I utillize outside stuff to supplement, art, spanish, asl and current events, I would think that flipping to the right page, using another guide alongside of (as some ladies do) or using the appendix to keep on track for the correct level for math or LA wouldn't be too difficult. Though as the other ladies have said, you can certainly use other resources for math, la and science. I have a good friend who does just that, though at this time she is strongly considering moving to MFW for next year. :(

Whatever you choose to do, prayer for His guidance is the surest way to be ceratin that you will be giving your children what they need. :D

Best wishes!
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:25 pm

sharonb,

The ladies have done a great job of answering your questions. We schedule 2 levels of all areas of language arts and math within our guides to accomodate kiddos being a different levels within the 3R's. So, if you do choose to use what we have within the guide, you'd just have one daily plan you're following, with an additional page marker in the 1A/1B math schedule in the Appendix. When it was math time, you'd just follow the schedule in the Appendix, rather than the daily plan for math. :D

On the other hand, if you choose to keep some of your own favorites for language arts and math, then you'd flip to those items instead during the language arts and math time, as you probably have already been doing. It works either way. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:19 pm

Sharon - Only you can know what will fit your dc best in the areas of LA and Math. :D HOD guides are written in a way so that you can sub in LA and Math easily if you want to. I would never want someone to pass on using HOD because they had a different LA or Math they liked - there's just so much to the HOD guides that whatever boxes you use - IMO - they are worth it! :D But, I will say that the LA and Math in the HOD guides is worth a deep look. At least take a look at them, see how it would go if you did things that way, and then if the other LA and Math is still calling your name - by all means sub it in. The only reason I say this is I have moms I know who use other maths and/or other LA options, and some of them are spending HOURS on them. It has led them to burnout. :cry: Whatever LA and Math you use, it should not be consuming the homeschooling day, burning you out, or causing your dc tears. That is why I like HOD's options - they are solid, don't take a lot of time, and keep the day balanced. They make the CM style possible, and they work! However, if you love a different LA and Math, and it's working well - by all means keep it! :D It's about wanting the best for you and your dc - and only you can know what that looks like in your home. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

allforjesus

Post by allforjesus » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:45 pm

I've been using the left side of the plans for a couple of years. I have a hard time with kids matching up with the same level. So, I do everything like the plans, except reading and math. I just use books for those at my kids' levels. It doesn't bother me one bit because storytime and all the rest of the history, science, art, copywork, poetry, Bible studies, etc. go great with my kids' levels. I think it's pretty hard to match up perfectly, especially by 2nd grade. That's the beauty of homeschool!!
-- Sue Ann --

7th grade son - Rev2Rev, DiTHoR
5th grade daughter - Rev2Rev, DiTHoR
1st grade son - BHFHG