Anyone using HOD AND Apologia elem science?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sharonb

Anyone using HOD AND Apologia elem science?

Post by sharonb » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:58 pm

I've been considering getting either Beyond/LHTH, OR Bigger/LHFHG. I'm still not sure ($ is a huge issue, and I already have plenty of resources to keep us going for a while!). Anyway, we just started Apologia Zoology I, and if I were to go with HOD, I wouldn't want to give that up. But I also like the looks of the science in HOD. Anyone do both? FWIW, we are taking Zoology very slowly since my children are young. When we've read it this week, we've only read for about 15 minutes before stopping, and then my 5 and 7 year olds did very simple pages for their notebook pages. So, it's not terribly time-consuming.

BTW, since Zoology III is used in one of HOD's programs, does that mean that other Apologia books are going to show up in the future? (I'd need to plan ahead if that's the case).

funkmomma71

Re: Anyone using HOD AND Apologia elem science?

Post by funkmomma71 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:14 am

Sharon
There are plenty of moms, and I'm one of them, who use supplements because we want to. There's nothing wrong with continuing what you are doing along side of HOD. The curriculum is complete but I like to enrich the experience and there is plenty of time do so. I don't believe that there will be any other Apologia books planned, but I'm sure Carrie will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. :wink: The science is deceptively simple and complete, Carrie somehow managed to slip some into our art plans today! But like any child my dd has things that pique her interest so we do chase her rabbit trails, after we're done everything else that is.

Blessings
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:54 am

Hi sharonb!

We are doing Zoology 1 in addition to Bigger. It's one of the things that we do in the afternoons 2 or 3 days a week. So far it hasn't been a problem and we love doing Science around here. I've been schooling a long time and already own all the Apologia books, dd is my last :( and science is one of her favorite things, so we are enjoying it in a relaxed style right now.

You are in charge of your day and can add anything that you or child likes to do! Isn't homeschooling GREAT!! :D
Wife to Jesse,
Mom to Michelle, Dawn, Rose, Marie
DD14 Rev to Rev, MTMM in the Fall
Enjoyed Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, and World Geo.

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:02 am

Here Carrie addresses future Apologia science additions.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3158&p=23248&hilit= ... nce#p23248
Wife to Jesse,
Mom to Michelle, Dawn, Rose, Marie
DD14 Rev to Rev, MTMM in the Fall
Enjoyed Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, and World Geo.

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:13 am

Thanks Sharon!

My 7 year old is LOVING Zoology I so far (notebooking seems to be her thing) so we are definitely going to stick with it regardless of other plans that we make.

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:35 am

Hi Sharon,

I am using Zoology 1 right now with my dd alongside Preparing (we do it on the 5th day) because my dd loves these books. We did Zoology 2 last year (before HOD) and Astronomy the year before. I think doing it along side Bigger would be fine, and at the slow pace you are working! You could do Zoology 2 with Preparing and Zoology 3 is already scheduled into HFHTT - CTC. If you wanted to do the whole series. Just my thoughts.
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

Emilylou

Post by Emilylou » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:21 pm

We are science junkies around here too... I plan to use Apology Astronomy for my son next year. On top of Beyond's science.
~ Lisa
Wife to Stephen, mom to dd almost 5 and ds 6 1/2

lostinabook

Post by lostinabook » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:27 pm

I just started Beyond with ds this week & I'm continuing with Zoology 2. The science in Beyond is very light so it's not a big deal to add in the Apologia. We don't do it full blown though. I read about 3 pages/day, they narrate, & we do some of the experiments, but we don't do any of the notebooking. We already have the Astronomy volume & I'm still considering whether I want to add it in during the coming year. It would fit in well with the science in Prep so we just may do it.
Libby, Mama to a 9 yo and a 7 yo
dd-RightStart D; Ambleside 3; CWP; AAS 3; Lively Latin; CW-Aesop A
ds-RightStart B; BLHFHG; Reading Made Easy; AAS 2; FLL
both-Training Hearts, Teaching Minds; Exploring Creation-Swimming Creatures; violin

Emilylou

Post by Emilylou » Thu May 07, 2009 5:40 pm

We are going to supplement BEYOND with Apologia Astronomy. The author of Apologia has a notebook/journal for younger kids and we will use that on top of the science in BEYOND.

Not that we need too, my DS just likes science and history. We actually have been supplementing LHFHG with Ampleside Online Year 1. We have been doing all the books except Trials and Triumphs, that one is way above his and my heads. :)

That is the great thing about HOD you have plenty of time to do other fun things your kids enjoy.
~ Lisa
Wife to Stephen, mom to dd almost 5 and ds 6 1/2

ksjk3

Post by ksjk3 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:49 pm

I'm so glad to read that I'm not alone! I also own all the Apologia elementary science books. It's the one science program my oldest asked me to PLEASE continue. How can a mom resist that? Anyway, I'm reading Zoology I aloud to them during lunch time. It even keeps my 4 year old entertained. All of this to say, Apologia has been very easy to add with the Bigger program we are doing this year.
Kristi

Mother of 3 girls ages 10, 8, and 3 years

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Thu May 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Kristi,
Do you do any of the activities with Apologia or do you just read to them? We have been doing Beyond with Astronomy but with Bigger I was wondering if we could keep it up? We do the activities with some notebooking and lapbooking. My boys are loving it and I would hate to give it up!
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

momontheprairie

Post by momontheprairie » Thu May 07, 2009 8:37 pm

We are doing Swimming Creatures (Zoology 2) along with Bigger. We do the science experiments in HOD, but not too much in the Zoo text yet. We read short sections everyday for narration practice. Even if Carrie's lessons do not match up the experiments are still fun and so far they have actually blended quite well.

I own the One Small Square books but they are 1200 miles away at our other house. :( When I get those I will use them too.

Because the sections are so short they are perfect to use for quick narration practice. I don't plan on doing all the notebooking; we are having a lot of fun using the HOD experiments. :D
Carrie
Married to Major Dan for the last 13 years. :)
Preparing with ds 11, 9, and 7
Little Hearts with dd 4
Everyone does MUS, Queen's LL, Latin, and Bedell at mealtimes :)

ksjk3

Post by ksjk3 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Michelle,
I have done the activities/notebooking with Apologia, and yes, at times, I have found it hard to squeeze everything in with the Bigger program. To be honest, my kids and I have not enjoyed the Small Square books. I tried to push on with them, but I finally gave up mid year and went with what worked best for our family. Therefore, I substituted with Apologia and with TOPS science. I did read the Edison and James Audubon books and did the Bigger activities with them. My kids loved both of those books, and even my 4 year old remembers some of the activities. For us, I weeded out from the Bigger science what wasn't "clicking" and went with what the kids loved . . . Apologia and TOPS. That's actually the beauty of homeschooling! Hope this helps answer your question.

Blessings,
Kristi
Kristi

Mother of 3 girls ages 10, 8, and 3 years