Beverly Cleary

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof2n2

Beverly Cleary

Post by momof2n2 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:28 pm

I have noticed that there are no Bevely Cleary books suggested in the suggested book list. Oneof the ladies in our growth group is an 78 year old and is the church librarian and former school librarian. I was telling her how much we were enjoying Homer Price. She suggested Otis Spofford. That was when i noticed no Beverly Cleary. I read them all as a child, but can not remember a thing except Ramona's teacher's name was Whaley. :P Can anyone comment on Otis Spofford, or others? I remember Ralph Mouse, etc., but don't remember the content.
Thanks in advance, ladies!

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

sharonb

Re: Beverly Cleary

Post by sharonb » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:57 pm

I can't tell you about the specific books you mentioned, but a couple of weeks ago I was previewing some Beverly Clearly books for my dd, and decided she will NOT be reading them at this time (she's 7). My main issue with them was behavior/attitude problems that had no consequences. There's a site somewhere that does reviews on children's books and even tells you on which pages they find problems. I don't remember the link though. I found that site after I had read through a couple of the books, and found it to be very consistent with what I was feeling. With so many other choices that I KNOW are good, I decided to pass on these.

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:36 pm

I agree...I've passed them up as well even though I read them as a child is ps. I'm wanting excellent content only for my impressionable minds and there are just so many through HOD...I just felt a little uneasy about these. I'll admit though, I did rather enjoy them as a child!

I also look at the book lists at Veritas Press to find other books for free-time reading so as not to use up any HOD books we've not yet gotten to. I've enjoyed many of their choices so far as well as....I think its Logos School??

ETA: I just realized I think I got these mixed up with a different series I was peeking at in the library the other day. Or maybe I just came across one that had a bad example and I let it spoil the whole bunch of them...who knows..I've been on pain meds for over a week so my mind is warped for now! LOL
Last edited by Mom2Monkeys on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

dale1088

Post by dale1088 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:51 pm

"Emily's Runaway Imagination" is in the girl set for Bigger. We haven't read it yet. My dd read "Socks", also by Cleary and LOVED it. I got her "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" from the library, but she didn't get to it before it was time to turn them all in again. She tends to like stories more about girls, so she wasn't just clamoring to read that one.

I think the content of Cleary books is good, personally, and I like to have opportunities to discuss why someones attitude in the book might not be God honoring.

Hopefully Carrie will chime in on this author!
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:08 pm

I just, now got done reading aloud "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" to my daughter and we loved it, the subject metter is about growing up and becoming more resonsible and sacrificial love. I can't remember what the other stories involve, but I would review them before proceeding. I can say that there is one series of books that I find to be beyond the pale in demonstrating poor behavior with no consequnces and that is the "Junie B. Jones" books. I made the mistake of readinf one aloud to my daughter without reviewing it and even she did not like the story, the language or the main character. I would avoid them at all costs as there did not seem to be any redeeming value contained within their pages.

I would love to have the link to book review site so that I could have some help with finding other quality books.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

momto3girls

Post by momto3girls » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:28 am

dale1088 wrote:"Emily's Runaway Imagination" is in the girl set for Bigger. We haven't read it yet. My dd read "Socks", also by Cleary and LOVED it. I got her "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" from the library, but she didn't get to it before it was time to turn them all in again. She tends to like stories more about girls, so she wasn't just clamoring to read that one.

I think the content of Cleary books is good, personally, and I like to have opportunities to discuss why someones attitude in the book might not be God honoring.

Hopefully Carrie will chime in on this author!
The books that you mentioned above are wonderful. We've enjoyed them also. The Henry Huggins books are also very good. However, in the books with Ramona the author includes bad attitutes and sisters not getting along. It is very "real" but I would prefer my girls read stories that includes good examples to strive to.
~~Jenny~~
Wife to Andrew for 21 years
Mom to...

dd15 - HOD next year :-)
dd13 - Res. to Ref.
dd9 - Preparing

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:54 am

I noticed Ramona the Pest and Henry Huggins are listed in the Sample Book Ideas for DITHOR as well as Emily's Runaway Imagination in Bigger girls pack. I have ds's so I don't know about the Ramona books. My ds has enjoyed Socks, Henry Huggins, Henry and Ribsy, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Ralph S. Mouse, and Emily's Runaway Imagination.

I wish I could be more specific on the content, but each parent has their own ideas for what they wish their children to be exposed to. But for us these have been some of my 3rd graders favorite books.

Blessings,
3musketeers
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

momto3girls

Post by momto3girls » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:05 am

3musketeers wrote:I wish I could be more specific on the content, but each parent has their own ideas for what they wish their children to be exposed to. But for us these have been some of my 3rd graders favorite books.
I totally agree with this! I didn't mean to imply that these books are inappropriate for everyone. But since my girls were already struggling with bickering, I chose not to read Ramona the Pest to them. Beezus views her sister Ramona as, well, a pest and I didn't want to feed on our problem.
~~Jenny~~
Wife to Andrew for 21 years
Mom to...

dd15 - HOD next year :-)
dd13 - Res. to Ref.
dd9 - Preparing

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:37 am

That's why I like DITHOR so much-you can use whatever book is right for YOUR family!! :-)
We have read a lot of Beverly Clearly's books in our house, so I'm on the "we like them" end of the spectrum. :-) As for the book packs, I know that Carrie is incredibly discerning when it comes to choosing those that I don't think about it anymore. Probably not the best thing to do-I should always stay alert to the choices they read-but in all honesty I don't always do very well at that.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:49 am

I'm trying to find that site again. Hopefully I'll be back soon with a link!

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks, Ladies.
I don't know how I missed that one. I was glancing thorough the book list Carrie sells and obviously made an error.
I did get and preread Otis Spofford. He is a VERY naughty boy, but I am allowing my 8 year old [first born] to read it because he is not at all the mischief maker that Otis is.
Now, that being said, I am not sure I will let my 6 year old son read it, unless I see some MAJOR changes before he is 8! :lol:
Maybe I will get the mouse ones and preread them. And Henry Huggins. Thanks, lady.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:01 pm

I think I have Ralph S. Mouse if you want to borrow it...I haven't read it, nor have the kids, so no opinions on it for you. :wink:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Ladies,

In all honesty, Beverly Cleary isn't personally one of my favorite authors anymore, now that we have discovered and rediscovered so many other finer books! However, when I initially made the booklist I was just coming off of my public school teaching days (at which point I already thought I was being quite discerning compared to everything that was out there). So, while I do still choose books off of our booklist and do still consider it to be a great resource, there are definitely books I would now add to the list (hence our new book packs for DITHR) and there are some I would most likely omit. Redoing the Sample Book Ideas list is not high on my priority list currently, so it will remain as is for quite some time to come. :D

I have a tough time with the way the characters speak to one another in the Beverly Cleary books and the way they speak to adults. The word "stupid" is used off and on as well. I have allowed my kiddos to read some of the Cleary books but not all. The ones the boys have read they have enjoyed. However, every time we put together a new book pack for our guides, I carefully look at the Cleary books and usually pass them over in favor of better material. We did utilize Emily's Runaway Imagination in one of our book packs (but even with that one, we needed to mention a possible content warning and chapter omission). :D

The wonderful part of HOD is that you don't have to agree with me on our literature selections, as we often give you great choices and then leave the deciding up to you. Each family is so different, which means a curriculum needs to be able to be customized to meet varying needs (especially in the vast area of literature). I know that the only perfect book is the Bible. All others are a matter of personal discretion. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:46 pm

Here's that site I was talking about:

http://factsonfiction.org/content/detailedreport.aspx

I found it to be very helpful.

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:28 pm

Carrie wrote:The wonderful part of HOD is that you don't have to agree with me on our literature selections, as we often give you great choices and then leave the deciding up to you. Each family is so different, which means a curriculum needs to be able to be customized to meet varying needs (especially in the vast area of literature). I know that the only perfect book is the Bible. All others are a matter of personal discretion. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie
And THIS sums up why I love HOD SOOOO Much!!! I can have a God Honoring curriculum that is organized, gentle, and yet can meet the needs of my family without a bunch of rewriting!!
*standing ovation*
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: