History ONLY?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
joyfulheart

History ONLY?

Post by joyfulheart » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:41 am

I am setting up curriculum for 8 year old

My son is very visual learner, right brained, that does not do well with rote memorization, and drill drill drill worksheets just dont work.

I have already bought Konos Obedience before I found this. (dangit!)

Anyway, my thoughts were that I could finish obedience (don't think it will take THAT long), then start with Heart of Dakota.

Because my son has Learning Disability issues, I have a reading program, handwriting, math program, phonics and spelling that is geared for his specific needs.

Memorization is a big issue, so while we have the Bible lessons, we don't do the memorization.

So is it worth it to buy Heart of Dakota if ALL I'm going to use it for is History and a little science?

Should I just boy the books for history that the website shows and wing it?

Other than the samples, I have no experience with Heart of Dakota, so I'm not sure how this will fit with our needs?

Is there a history program seperate?

Thanks!

marypoppins

Post by marypoppins » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:54 am

Hi there!

I don't see why you couldn't just use this as a history program if you wanted. As far as history programs go, this is very affordable compared to everything else out there. Sure there will be lots of stuff you will probably skip in the TM, BUT over time you may find that you want to try some of those other things... The good thing is that it's all optional. The TM's are set up in such a way that you can use as much or as little of the components as you want. Really, imho, HOD is the ideal HS product!

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:19 am

ok, so what do I need to buy?
The kit, and the history stuff? That's it????

the website and "store" is very confusing and I'm really not sure what all we need.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:31 am

Hi! Have you had a chance to look at the placement chart? Here's a link for that: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Agewise and situation-wise, I'd say Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory would be a good fit for your son, but I'd love to hear what you think after looking at the placement chart.

Have you had a chance to look at the teacher's guide? The first week of plans are all on the HOD site. Here's that link, just click on the PDF's under the picture of the Beyond... guide:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/byd-little-hearts.php

You'd be able to use all of the left side of the plans based on what you've said. My son was 8 weeks premature and had speech and auditory difficulties. We did Beyond... with him last year, and he did it all very easily. I know your situation could be totally different, but you might be pleasantly surprised how much of Beyond... he could really do. Doing your own phonics and math would be easy to do, but you may be interested in doing Beyond's... hands-on math activities. They're a favorite of almost everyone's using the program. Also, the Storytime read-aloud part and discussion is awesome too! You may want to take a look at those boxes on the right side of the plans (the Learning the Basics side).

I'd love to hear what you think about placement after checking that out! Based on what you've said so far, you'd need the Economy package and the science out of the Basic package at least. HTH! Love to hear more from you - it's nice to meet you!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:50 am

He has dyslexia, dysgraphia (math form of dyslexia), fine motor skills problems using his hands, and auditory processing disorder.

I was definately thinking of Beyond little hearts for his glory! That's the one I was considering.

so the beyond little hearts Economy package is $88
but the science out of the basic package? an additional $53?
(ouch! $$$$ sorry we're poor so that stings! LOL)

sooo confused here!

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Joyful! I don't thing you got the right $
are you looking here?
http://www.heartofdakota.com/byd-little ... ckages.php

Here you can see the economy package is 68.00
and the science book is 9.95
http://www.heartofdakota.com/gods-works.php

that is 77.95 w/o shipping

You do need to buy the guide to get all the science experiments. But the economy package comes with all the history and the basic guide.

I'm sure HOD is working on the store and making it less confusing.

And we are missionaries (living on $ we raise from supporters) so I know every Lincoln is pinched at our home. But God is faithful! If he can pay for many of our adoption costs he can pay for good books for your son.

P.S. I'm dyslexic too.. so u might want to check my math.. :wink:
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:23 pm

OOOH, thanks!

Ok, I guess I was in the wrong area.

This makes it much better!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:31 pm

Hi Joyfulheart.

I am using Bigger with my son who has ACUTE CAPD. I use endlessloop tapes to teach him his memory verses. I have found that the eggleson book doesn't work as well for him so I am using the Christian Liberty Press book, A Childs story of history as it's more visually appealing for our processing disorder children.

He LOVES the science, the bible, the history. I use Time4Learning for Math and Lang arts and he does really well with that.

HTH,
Mary
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:42 pm

what's the eggleston book? Is that part of the package?

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:47 pm

"A First Book in American History" Edward Eggleston.

I am keeping it and will use it with my younger boys when they get to the "Bigger" package.
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:04 pm

*I was typing the below message at the same time as the gals posting above me and you here - wow - we're "burning up our computer keyboards" at the same time, aren't we?

Good news! It's only $68 for the WHOLE Economy Package! And... drumroll... It's only $9.95 for the science text, OR, if you want the WHOLE Basic Package, it's $47 OR $64, depending on what math you pick. However, I understand you don't need the math, right? So really, you just need the Economy Package for $68 and the Science text for $9.95. Pretty inexpensive, hmmmm? That includes the awesome guide, of course, which in my opinion, is worth much more than it is priced at already.

Now, let's say I happened to have got your curiosity going about the other areas I was telling you about. You COULD, if you wanted to, utilize the devotional for $4, this links to the history theme each week. We really liked it and had great discussions from that little book last year. And, you COULD, if you wanted, consider the Hide Em in Your Heart CD for $16.98 if you want your honey to sing his Bible memory verse. This is daily and is also linked to the history theme.

If you wanted to do the Storytime box, you could pick books you already own to read out loud to your son and still do the great discussion. You'd just have to make sure you match the genre, which is listed in the plans in the Storytime box, i.e. if it is mystery, you just have to pick a mystery.

I'm just trying to think how you can get the most use out of Beyond... with the littlest expense. But, the $68 plus the $9.95 is what you'd need for sure. The rest is up to you! HTH!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:11 pm

my3sons wrote:*I was typing the below message at the same time as the gals posting above me and you here - wow - we're "burning up our computer keyboards" at the same time, aren't we?

Good news! It's only $68 for the WHOLE Economy Package! And... drumroll... It's only $9.95 for the science text, OR, if you want the WHOLE Basic Package, it's $47 OR $64, depending on what math you pick. However, I understand you don't need the math, right? So really, you just need the Economy Package for $68 and the Science text for $9.95. Pretty inexpensive, hmmmm? That includes the awesome guide, of course, which in my opinion, is worth much more than it is priced at already.

Now, let's say I happened to have got your curiosity going about the other areas I was telling you about. You COULD, if you wanted to, utilize the devotional for $4, this links to the history theme each week. We really liked it and had great discussions from that little book last year. And, you COULD, if you wanted, consider the Hide Em in Your Heart CD for $16.98 if you want your honey to sing his Bible memory verse. This is daily and is also linked to the history theme.

If you wanted to do the Storytime box, you could pick books you already own to read out loud to your son and still do the great discussion. You'd just have to make sure you match the genre, which is listed in the plans in the Storytime box, i.e. if it is mystery, you just have to pick a mystery.

I'm just trying to think how you can get the most use out of Beyond... with the littlest expense. But, the $68 plus the $9.95 is what you'd need for sure. The rest is up to you! HTH!
I agree with my3sons! It is so doable, easy and FUN!