Need advice...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tree House Academy

Need advice...

Post by Tree House Academy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:09 am

This coming fall (July-ish), I am doing Bigger with a 6 year old 1st/2nd grader and a 10 year old 4th/5th grader (history and Science only).

At the end of the 2009-2010 school year, I plan to start using HOD exclusively. I plan to put my then 7 year old in Beyond and move my older up. We did CHOW this year. So...my question is whether or not I should move him up (at the age of 11) to Preparing and repeat CHOW more in depth with the book studies OR should I go on to HHTT with him?

Either way, my younger will repeat Bigger when we get to it. I am just not quite sure what to do with my older.

We use Singapore math and right now, where my younger is will not match up with any of the programs. I am okay with that. We also are using CLE Language Arts with my older along with DITHOR, so the English level will not be an issue either way.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Lynnw

Re: Need advice...

Post by Lynnw » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:36 am

I totally understand where you are coming from. I recently wrestled with a similar decision with my oldest. I thought I would start him in CTC in the fall (he's 10.5 finishing "4th grade" now). He has a very good knowledge of history (he listens to Diana Waring cds and SOTW cds every day on his own). So, I didn't feel he needed Preparing for content. On the other hand, his writing is not quite where I would like it to be. Ultimately I'm putting him in Preparing now and plan to start CTC sometime next year (depending on how much we do over the summer :wink: ). For him, I felt that Preparing would hold us more accountable for regular dictation and narration, etc. helping him build his writing skills. It looks like Preparing will help coach us into written narration too. (He can do written narration now, but I would like for it to be a little more comfortable for him.)

Also, I know Carrie has said that a student can be placed in any guide that they fit in without having to complete previous ones. So, I would gauge it by his skills when you get closer to making that decision - or even work on skills with that in mind.

Just my .02 :D
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:48 am

Rebecca,

I would wait until next year to see where he fits in the placement charts before making a decision. If it could go either way, then I would base your decision on whether you want to repeat an overview of history or delve right into the 4 year cycle. :D
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:58 pm

Lynnw wrote:...For him, I felt that Preparing would hold us more accountable for regular dictation and narration, etc. helping him build his writing skills. It looks like Preparing will help coach us into written narration too. (He can do written narration now, but I would like for it to be a little more comfortable for him.)

Also, I know Carrie has said that a student can be placed in any guide that they fit in without having to complete previous ones. So, I would gauge it by his skills when you get closer to making that decision - or even work on skills with that in mind.

Just my .02 :D
Rebecca - This is what I was going to say; if your ds would benefit from the CM skills taught in a more guided way in PHFHG, than I would do that. If he's strong in those areas already, he could do CTC. For example, here are a few things to consider -
*in PHFHG, written narrations are quite guided, giving a good strong basis for doing them well
*in CTC, written narrations are guided with questions and a starter for the first 9 weeks, for the second 9 weeks there will be guided questions but no starter, for the next 9 weeks a few questions are given but are more open-ended and no starter, and the last 9 weeks the directions are basically to do a written narration; other skills will be introduced along with that (i.e. finding the main idea of a written narration, making sure that details go along with the main idea, etc.)

*in PHFHG, creative writing is done through very guided lessons using Robert Louis Stevenson's poems as a model once a week; the writing is shorter
*in CTC, creative writing is taught by using Write with the Best's program 2 times a week; the writing will be longer and more difficult, modeled after a variety of classic pieces by various authors; (Robert Frost's poetry is taught for the purpose of appreciation and basic art techniques are taught along with this to create a poetry notebook)

*in PHFHG, there are 3 levels of dictation to choose from and dictation is done 3 times a week
*in CTC, there are 3 levels of dictation (the first 2 levels are the same as from PHFHG, but the last level is added to be the most difficult), choose 1 level and it is done 3 times a week

*in PHFHG, research is done with a parent
*in CTC, research is independent

*in PHFHG, dc are told what to copy
*in CTC, they choose from their reading what they want to copy (at times)

*in PHFHG, we do Bible quiet time in a guided way with our dc 3 times a week, they do 1 day on their own (this is not linked to the history)
*in CTC, for Bible quiet time dc will be doing their Bible reading alone as well as doing their prayer, hi-lighting the key verse, memory work, and singing along with music (optional) on their own; (this is linked to the history)

*in PHFHG, there are short Bible connections woven throughout the daily plans, along with many selections of Old and New Testaments stories and missionary stories also woven through the study of history
*in CTC, the formal Bible study done with Genesis Finding Our Roots is a much deeper Bible discussion, taking a more mature child to comprehend it well

Maybe some of these differences will be helpful to you as you make your decision, and as LynnW said, checking out the placement chart as the time for beginning draws nearer will be very beneficial as well. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:44 pm

I'd agree that you'll honestly need to wait until the you're closer to the end of Bigger Hearts to be able to see whether Preparing Hearts or CTC would be the best fit. Normally, we'd just recommend heading into the next guide, however since you've already done Hillyer that changes the advice a bit. :D

I know it doesn't feel wonderful to wait and see, but at times it truly is best. One year can make an absolutely huge difference and can make our best-laid plans go awry! :wink: The good news is that you have two very good options waiting in the wings and either one will be worth looking forward to doing with your child. 8)

Blessings,
Carrie