Just ordered LHTH and excited!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
RedTulipMom

Just ordered LHTH and excited!

Post by RedTulipMom » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:56 pm

I just put my order in for LHTH and am so excited. Does anybody know how many days/weeks before it will arrive?

My son Luke is 4 yrs old (turning 5 in June) and diagnosed with PDD-NOS (high functioning Autism) and my daughter Anna is turning 2 next month. I plan on using LHTH with both of them together, along with some KUMON workbooks for pasting, cutting, folding activities since my son is behind in gross motor skills he needs practice.

Luke was in Early Intervention therapies from age 19 mos to 3yrs old, then he was in a special Ed program 5 days a week from age 3 until January when i pulled him out of the school and decided to homeschool him. Since this is still his 2nd yr of pre-school, since January we have just been doing various Walmart wkbks and watching learning factory videos while looking through a million homeschool curriculums trying to find one that i wanted to try out. I decided to order NOW since i will be doing some work with him over the summer as well and probably by next January if he is ready i will order the next HOD program for him.

With Luke being behind in some developmental areas I am not sure how far behind he might be in some subjects. Though he will be Kindergarten age next year i don't know if he will be fully ready for the K program or not, which is one reason i am not starting him out on it in August but giving him some extra time and not starting till about January. (hopefully that extra half year will make a difference). I am going to give it a go with the Singapore Math Carrie suggests once he starts the K program (though i am open to the possibility he might do better with something like Math-u-see..we'll figure it out as we go). From everything i have read i think trying the Handwriting without Tears will be my best bet for him with Handwriting so i am glad with Carries program you can use whichever handwriting program you choose.

Anyone else have a child on the autism spectrum and is doing well with HOD? Are they at their age level or behind?

Look forward to getting to know all you ladies better.
Karen
wife to Michael
Mom of 3:
Joe 20 yrs (in his own apt as of last month)
Luke 4 yrs (pdd-nos) LHTH and Kumon wkbks
Anna 23 mos LHTH tag-a-long and loves to color (well scribble anyway)

spidermansmum

Re: Just ordered LHTH and excited!

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi I have a little boy with aspergers.He is six.In many ways he is advanced but in some areas he is less mature.The biggest challenge was getting him to focus on an activity not imagined by him.He was /is quite absorbed in his own ideas .He has made amazing progress with HOD this year.He is much more able to follow a directed activity.We get on well with singapore math.
I have found some things out which helped my DS and might be of help to you
Routine.We gradually built up to a full day of HOd adding in boxes as the weeks went by.We try to follow the same pattern of subjects each day -We keep the 'lessons' short 10-15 minutes and then we break for some play time.
hope that helps
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:35 pm

Karen,

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you to the board! :D We have many wonderful moms using HOD with kiddos who have varying special learning needs, so you'll be in good company. :wink:

My hubby and boys are busy packing orders tonight, so I'm assuming yours will head out the door tomorrow morning. :D

We pray you'll enjoy LHTH as much as we have!

Blessings,
Carrie

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:14 pm

welcome the the HOD family! :-)
Sam has some great words of wisdom for you. I know her little guy has really grown with HOD. (and her awesome mom-skills! ((sam)) hi five! )
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:25 pm

Welcome to the HOD board! LHTH was a great start for both of our sons, and I know you will love it too. There are lots of wonderful moms on this board using HOD in all sorts of situations, with all kinds of specific needs - I know you will enjoy the company here. :D Sam has done a super job with HOD - it's been great to hear about how that's going. :D Thanks for sharing about yourself and your dc here too. I enjoyed reading your signature - I am imagining my oldest moving into an apartment someday and having such a hard time with that - however, I know there comes a time when that is a good thing and an excellent sign of maturity. :wink: I hope that's going well - You'll have to share your box day with us! :D We enjoy that so much!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

RedTulipMom

Post by RedTulipMom » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks for the Welcome everyone! :D