Questions about BHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mom@home

Questions about BHFHG

Post by mom@home » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:09 pm

I am considering using BHFHG next year with my ds who will be 9 in August and my dd 7. I have read many posts from users who say the program is very manageable and they and their children love it, but is it academically strong? My husband and I are looking for a curriculum that is both Christ centered and has very strong academics without killing us :D. We want to develop a life-long desire for them to learn. We're also considering Sonlight Core 3, which in comparison looks a bit too meaty. Any thoughts?
Thanks for any input!
Mom@home

netpea

Re: Questions about BHFHG

Post by netpea » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:14 pm

I think you will find that the lessons are deceptively simple. They may seem lighter than other programs, but they really stick with the kids. My kids have blossomed using HOD. The lessons teach a lot in a manner the kids get, and there is still time in your day for your own pursuits.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:24 pm

mom@home,

I'll link you to a previous thread that is worth reading on a similar topic:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2174&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Our own family used Sonlight cores 1,2, 3, and part of 4 with my oldest son, (although by the time we got to cores 3 and 4 we were tweaking it so heavily that it really wasn't Sonlight anymore). :wink: I tell you this so you know that I am familiar with what you are considering.

There are many moms who use and love Sonlight, however for our family it contained too many books (with quite a few titles we didn't agree wtih) read too quickly with little meaningful follow-up or Biblical emphasis. We found our day was filled with me reading aloud to my oldest son or with him off reading on his own. The deep discussions and time spent in God's word was just not there without me adding it in on my own. Yet, we desired for the Bible to be the focal point of our day, which was not the case with Sonlight. In addition, my son deeply loved hands-on activities, of which there were none. :wink:

Needless to say in order to meet our own family's goals, we searched for a better fit curriculum-wise. This led us to try a myriad of options after Sonlight and later to write our own guides. Heart of Dakota and Sonlight are very different philosophy-wise, so if you can pin down your family's philosophy of education, then your decision will be easier. :wink: I pray you'll find the peace that you're seeking as you strive for the Lord's best for your family.

Blessings,
Carrie

mom@home

Post by mom@home » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:35 am

Thank you so much for your replies. I did read the other thread you suggested, Carrie. I have always subscribed to the "better late than early" philosophy of homeschooling of the Moore's...we've just gotten off track a time or two when I got scared my children weren't getting enough :D . This year I have not used a complete curriculum. We've done a Bible Study, Math-U-See, Handwriting/Copywork and just read TONS of historical fiction books (my younger daughter has done a phonics program). It's been one of our best years, but I feel like we've possibly missed out on some necessary factual information in order for them to connect the dots. I've been googling events in history and piecing our learning together, but then I started thinking that was crazy! There must be a curriculum out there that does this for me. Why should I reinvent the wheel? So...will HOD fit the bill?

dale1088

Post by dale1088 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:28 am

YES!

I'm using Bigger right now for my third grader and it's been fantastic. I will tell you that whatever you choose, in prayer and petition, allow the Lord to speak to your heart and then be at peace. Our first couple of months have been a struggle, but not because of the material. Just adjusting to homeschooling in general. Because you are already used to hs'ing, you won't have this.

For me the struggle has been worry that I am not doing enough academically when dd complains about math or whatever. Mostly because my dd used to spend 7 hours in school and we only spend about 3-3 1/2. Certainly I'm missing something? Worry...worry...fret and worry. :? :roll: My challenge has been to see how different her education is now. Richly based in BIBLICAL truth, history and character focused, meaningful activities, not busy seatwork, concise math lessons, and the best books we've ever had the pleasure to find. And my challenge is to look in her heart and see some issue we need to work on and tackle those, not jump curriculum!

I am re-reading Shepherding a Child's Heart and he talks about how unimportant grades are when compared to character building and it just struck right at my heart. Who cares if my dc are advanced in mathematics or science if they have no dligence or trustworthiness? If they have no foundation in faith?

That's why I love HoD so much. The academics are there, and I see that so much more as the units build on eachother the more we move through the program. But the way Carrie ties everything we study to biblical truth is the very best part. I have conversations with my dc that I would have NEVER had if they were away from me for so long in a school day. Praise the Lord!!!
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

wertzeemom

Post by wertzeemom » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:42 pm

I am in the exact same situation, and was looking at SL as well. I just couldn't wrap my brain around how it would work - HoD seems to make so much more sense. God surely lead me here, as I found it totally randomly! We did another curriculum last year, which was mostly workbook, some DVD and a LOT of preparation on my part. There were nights where I was up until midnight, usually crying, putting together bags with characters on popsicle sticks that no one ever ended up using anyway! I can't wait to use HOD next year. It seems the right fit for our family.
10 yo DD -
8 yo DD -
3 yo DS -

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:55 pm

I will say that of all the curriculum and "stuff" we have used over the years, HOD is the stuff they remember. One of my boys asked me something about a bird the other day, and I KNOW we covered it (because I cut out all the little flaps for his lapbook, by golly! we covered it!!) but he had absolutely no recollection of learning it. But with the HOD things, they will spontaneously tell me things they learned years ago! My 8 year old was chiming in on the 2 year old's rhymes the other day because he remembered them from when HE did Little Hands to Heaven! :-)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:12 am

I must agree with the other ladies... HOD is academically and SPIRITUALLY sound and well-rounded. Sonlight was very high on my list of curricula that I was considering. I had also looked at many other Kronos, Winterpromise, etc... these had what I was looking for, literature based education. SL seemed to have TOO many books, I couldn't imagine getting through each day and no hands on stuff, the others seemed to be too dependent on hands on stuff, they looked fun, but would my dc receive a good, solid education?? God kept leading me back to HOD, it seemed too simple though, KWIM :wink: Especially after looking at the overwhelming richness of all these other programs, I kept thinking it wouldn't be enough, but lo and behold it is quite enough! Now that we are in the last quarter of LHFHG, my daughter breezes through her lessons and school takes less time, instead of fretting that school isn't taking more time, I rejoice in the incredible progress she has made through-out this school year. We now have more time for fun stuff, like Spanish, ASl and swimming lessons. I f the Lord is leading you here, I say go for it and He will take of the rest!

Blessings,
Nancy
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017