SO..Who else here is teaching a special needs child?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ahngele

SO..Who else here is teaching a special needs child?

Post by ahngele » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:10 pm

besides me? I am anxious to wrap up this year and get started with HOD for my 8 yo. Both of my kids have issues but it is my 8 yo I am really worried about. He has several issues and as each year passes the difference between him and typical children becomes more apparent. I was at the parent teacher store today and I was looking at the tests for 1st and 2nd grade and there is no way my son could pass those. Thank God we have the portfolio option here. Anyway if you are teaching a special needs child how is HOD working out?

Kelly

Re: SO..Who else here is teaching a special needs child?

Post by Kelly » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:41 pm

Angie,

My son is almost 9 and I go through the same thing as you regarding looking at the tests and feeling that way! I have had a TERRIBLE time finding curriculum for him. Like yours, he has many issues. He is in three different kinds of therapy. He is extremely bright yet struggles with simple things like writing, simple spelling, math. Yet, he can tell you about any kind of airplane, how it was built, it's dimensions, etc.. and has exceptional reading comprehension. We used Beyond this last year, and let me tell you HOD has been the best fit yet for him. It is SO flexible that you can use it with a special needs kid and still feel like you are moving along. I have adapted the spelling, copywork , and math portion (at times) when we needed it and was able to still stay on track with the other subjects and not have it all fall apart and me stressed out. HOD has helped him to succeed and me to RELAX, which in turn helps him to succeed....... I am finally learning to accept him where he is at and stop trying to push.
So, yes, I am teaching a special needs child as well and HOD is a fabulous fit!!
Kelly

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:45 am

I consider spiderman has special needs -due to his aspergers and ADHD but academicaly he is on target.
I understand some about
as each year passes the difference between him and typical children becomes more apparent.
.Eavh year I see a bigger difference between how spiderman reacts to some thing and behaves in certain situations

I was at the parent teacher store today and I was looking at the tests for 1st and 2nd grade and there is no way my son could pass those. Thank God we have the portfolio option here. Anyway if you are teaching a special needs child how is HOD working out?
HOD works brilliantly for us.The boxes mean he only has to concentrate for a few minutes at a time.The phonic/math are seperate [ in lhfhg-not sure about later levels ]which is excellent because I can tailor that to him.Im not sure we ever look at tests.Im not required to do them - and Im not sure that they would work for DS or even show where he is.We have an Educational Pyschologist who will start doing some home visits this month and Im hoping she has some ideas on how best we can teach Spiderman and how he learns best.
Finally.I hope this is encouraging :wink:
I believe God selected parents for my child.Im left with believeing God sent spiderman as a blessing to us[and Oh how much I have learnt from him] and that the Lord knew we would train him to his abilities and strengths.And that is where I feel home education and HOD work so well.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:35 am

I have a daughter who has cerebral palsy and HOD is working out great for her. It allows me to teach her beyond her disability so that she can stay on target age wise with the things she can't yet read. Plus it takes care of all the details so that I can focus with her on her weak areas which are language arts and math. It's been a huge blessing to us. It's a perfect program for a child with special needs as well as a gifted child so it works great for families no matter what you have going on with your child's learning. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

RedTulipMom

Post by RedTulipMom » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:54 pm

My son is PDD-NOS (high functioning autism) and we are just about to start LHTH with him. i just ordered it today after praying about it for months. I am just trusting in God and not expecting perfection. I think it will work out..even if we have to tweak a thing or two along the way..or even slow down.
Karen
wife to Michael
Mom of 3:
Joe 20 yrs (in his own apt as of last month)
Luke 4 yrs (pdd-nos) LHTH and Kumon wkbks
Anna 23 mos LHTH tag-a-long and loves to color (well scribble anyway)

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:11 am

I don't have a special needs child, but I wanted to chime in on this thread and tell the mamas who do how much I respect and honor the difficulties they face. I can't say "I know how you feel" because I don't-but I can say, "Let me walk beside you and help hold you up!"
I believe God selected parents for my child.Im left with believeing God sent spiderman as a blessing to us[and Oh how much I have learnt from him] and that the Lord knew we would train him to his abilities and strengths.
I agree! Some days I can't for the LIFE of me figure out why God gave me this child or that child, :D but I know that He trusted me to raise them for His Glory.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: