What records does your state require for homeschooling?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Daisy

Re: What records does your state require for homeschooling?

Post by Daisy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:04 pm

CA - file a yearly affadavit (online) declaring yourself a private school. Maintain records of attendance (don't have to be sent in).
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:35 am

in Iowa we have 3 (technically 4) options. They sound difficult, but they are really not!
Every year we file a "competent private instruction" paper that is provided by the state. The first time I send it in for a child I have to include their immunization records or the exemption form. New legislation recently also adds a lead test to that first time paperwork. Then you have to chose one of the options?
1. yearly testing. the results are then sent the board of ed just like the public school kids.
2. Portfolio evaluation-you have a licensed teacher go through your work at the end of the year and file a paper with the state board of ed.
3. Work with a supervising teacher-you have a licensed teacher "supervise" your work throughout the year.
4. HSAP/dual enrollment-some districts have a home school assistance program, where they provide books, tests, teachers, etc. You also have the option (but you still need to pick an oversight option) of dual enrollment. We chose that for the oldest, so he can play football. You can take from one to all but two classes/activities at the school.

My gf in Missouri is supposed to keep a log of their learning hours, but she said she's never heard of anyone being asked to produce one. That's all I know of their laws.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:14 am

Kay - is the "approx 12 pages" a requirement of your district? I don't remember reading anywhere that our portfolios had to have 12 pages on each subject. I could be wrong and this could be something new - we aren't doing HS this year, unfortunately,but plan on it next year. I'm certainly not challenging you - I'm just curious! The first homeschool support grp meeting I went to was about the portfolio. Some of these women had these GIANT scrapbooks for their young elementary kids. It was very intimidating to me as a newcomer! Mine last year for DD's 2nd-grade year was a moderate size and pretty straight forward. I'm sure that some of the superintendents who have to read these things would love a "12-pages" rule :wink:
It is not a district law (I don't think the districts can make extra laws for homeschoolers), after reviewing the law (not thoroughly) maybe it was just a guide line that some of the more experienced homeschooling moms have given me. :mrgreen:
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11