Rod and Staff english ?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carly

Rod and Staff english ?

Post by Carly » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:16 am

I have to say that language arts is my favorite area to teach.
We do stuff orally, on the white boards, play games etc..
It's never just an issue of giving assignments and checking work.
I love it too much to leave it at that. LOL

However, I was thinking about making our Rod and
Staff english more independent as the kids are getting older now.
They'll be in 4th and 5th next year.

How can I or should I make the Rod and Staff more
independent for them? Cut out the oral work, board work etc?
English can easily take an hour some days b/c we spend so much time
doing stuff orally and on the boards. We also do more than one lesson a day most
days, depending on the subject matter.

Suggestions, comments?
Thanks,
Carly

netpea

Re: Rod and Staff english ?

Post by netpea » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:56 am

You could have them read the assignment, do the written work in their notebook, and then be ready to do the oral assignment with you later. Would that help?

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:30 am

My dc (3rd and 5th grades) do their assignments independently. I do the oral drill with them each, which only takes about 5 minutes, then they do their assignments. It has worked out well for us. :wink:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:31 pm

I agree that the 5 review questions given in the Teacher's Guide at the beginning of each lesson are necessary to do together. The oral drill is also a quick way to see if the kiddos have the concepts. However, much of the rest of the lesson could be done independently, depending on how much time you want your kiddos to spend writing. :D

At the younger levels of Rod and Staff English (2 and 3), our grammar lessons take us 10-15 min. We do much of it orally. At levels 4 and 5, they take us 20-25 min.

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:56 pm

We do a good portion of R & S orally. We are on 3. We do the 5 oral questions, and then we do 2/3 of each section orally or on markerboard, and the last 1/3 of each section he writes. We're doing in about 20 minutes. I think "orally' is the ticket to finishing it in a more timely fashion - at least at our house. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie