Is it hard to follow 2 HOD curriculums at once?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tree House Academy

Is it hard to follow 2 HOD curriculums at once?

Post by Tree House Academy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:54 am

This year, I am set b/c we are out of $$$ and I can only do HOD for Science and History (already purchased the other things we needed for this year). HOWEVER, Next year, I am looking at doing Beyond Little Hearts (the full package) for my youngest who will be 7 and HHTT (the full package) for my oldest who will then be 11. I love the prices, love the choices, LOVE the books, just love it all! BUT, am I going to be biting off more than I can chew? Will it be tough to do two programs at one time - especially with my older being into one of the harder and more "full" programs?

Oh...and one more question...does HOD include Spelling somewhere? Or handwriting?

TIA!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

eazbnsmom

Re: Is it hard to follow 2 HOD curriculums at once?

Post by eazbnsmom » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:45 am

Hi Rebecca,

No, it is not difficult to do two programs, especially since you oldest will be somewhat independent. I am doing both LHFHG & PHFHG this year and it is working out fine.

Spelling is included in the dictation excercises that are done each week (see index & search box for more on this as this has been discussed recently, I believe). Formal handwriting is not included in Preparing and beyond, but is practiced through copywork.

HTH
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:18 am

It won't be too difficult at all! I can't comment much on the older grade guides as a whole but like the pp pointed out, your oldest will be doing a good deal of independent work as well which will help quite a bit!

I am currently doing 2 guides and it isn't a problem at all...although LHTH is only about 1/2 a day. :lol: However this question has come up quite often, and I don't think I can recall a single time when anyone has said that it was too much to to more than one guide at a time. I think you'll love doing both! :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:12 am

I'm doing Little Hearts and Bigger Hearts, AND sometimes LHTH when the 2.5yo is cooperative-- and I have no problems other than my own lack of self-discipline :oops: All my kids are still mostly dependent on my instruction as well, so being in a more independent level should really be no problem! I'm thinking of the future when I'll be doing 3 FULL guides at once for the first time....Little Hearts, Bigger, and CTC. If I were just getting into HOD, it would sound impossible and I would question it like you have...but now that I'm familiar with it and now how well it flows, I'm actually looking forward to it!

I'm sure you'll find it to work amazingly well!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:46 pm

We've done 2 HOD programs for 3 years running now, and it's not hard to do. We're currently doing Beyond and PHFHG and having a super year. I will say I think placement is very important! Make sure your dc are each ready for the programs you're considering, and you should be fine. Also, I like to take a week or 2 to ease into a new program. When we started Bigger Hearts, I remember we did the left side of the plans one day, and the right side of plans the next day for a week or 2 to get used to it. Then, it was smooth sailing. With PHFHG, we didn't do that, I guess - but my older ds was used to the Bigger Hearts guide, so the PHFHG guide was an easy start for him. I think it is key to teach older dc to use the guide themselves, so they are not waiting for you. My oldest ds puts a checkmark in the corner of the boxes as he does them. That's a quick way for me to see what's done. We are often done by noon, or for sure by 1:00 (lunch included). It's been a super easy year. I'll be doing Creation to Christ next year too - so we'll have to swap stories! :D I am sure you can do this and enjoy it. I can't wait for you to begin! :D

In Christ ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie