Choosing for next year

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Busymomma1

Choosing for next year

Post by Busymomma1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi ladies,
I used to post here last year, and now that it's time to consider what to use for next year, I have a question. Just some history... our 1st year of HSing, we used LHFHG for my dd in K. This has been our 2nd year of HSing, and this year had to teach my dd 1st grade and my ds for K. We''ve been trying to do the "Classical" model for history this year, and have used bits and pieces of Mystery of History, ideas from LHFHG (which we used our 1st year), and just generally piecing it together myself from various sources. Basically, it was a year of planning it all myself. It's been fine, but it's hard to keep coming up with the "fun" stuff to go along with it. Plus, I drop the ball in art and science a bit. So... I'm feeling led to come back to HOD. I felt a peace about it last night, after struggling with what to do.

So...I'm wondering about opinions on whether to use Beyond or Bigger. My dd (age 8 in Sept) will be technically 2nd grade, but when it comes to reading, she can read ANYTHING, and is probably at least at a 5th grade level. She spells well, and is a whiz kid with language arts. As for my son, who will be 6 1/2 this fall, starting 1st grade, I feel he is at the expected level for 1st grade. We're still working on reading at a basic level, and he's coming along. Given the big gaps in abilities, what might be best? I want to keep my dd moving along with challenging spelling/dictation exercises, but don't want to lose my son. I figure if I do Bigger, I could just require less of him. On the other hand, if I do Beyond, I'd have to come up with more for her.

Any insights? Especially from those who have /are using these levels? Also, in addition to the challenge for my dd, I want to keep in FUN!
Thanks!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

netpea

Re: Choosing for next year

Post by netpea » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:52 pm

It really sounds like your little one should be in Beyond. Have you checked the placement chart to see where they fall skillwise? Your older one might fit better into Bigger. Let us know where they fit on the chart and we will be better able to help.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:54 pm

We're glad to see you back on the board again! :D netpea gave you great advice for sharing a bit more about your kiddos based on our placement chart. Here's a link to the placement chart: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

if you get a chance to pop back in and tell us where your little sweeties fall on the chart, all combining scenarios aside for now, then we can advise you better on possible options. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 am

Thanks for the replies, ladies.

Here's what I considered when looking at charts:

Age: Both kids will fall into the 6-8 category (dtr will be 8, son 6 1/2 come fall)
Reading: dtr independent; son working on phonics/basic spelling with short vowel words
Writing: dtr can do copy work and dictation with manuscript; son ready to copy words (just finishing K level Reason for HW)
Grammar: dtr finished Yr 1 of Wise's First Lg Lessons; son could begin basic?
Math: dtr finishing Math-U-See Alpha, son Primer

Given this and the chart info, it seems clear that dtr falls well into Bigger, and son straddles LH/Beyond. Given that, I don't want to leave my son behind, but I also want to challenge my dtr. Any opinions? I'm wondering if I could just make it "easier" for my son if we did Bigger?

Thanks so much! Have a blessed day!
Tricia
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:08 am

Oh, Netpea... I just looked at your signature and saw you have a 6 and 8 year old, and it looks like you are doing separate programs? Is that correct? I'd be interested to hear your experiences...

Thanks! :D
Tricia
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:45 am

Mine will be 6 and 8 in the fall and we'll be doing beyond. DD *could* do bigger, but I think would benfit from beyond. For your family, I think I've read some people do the left side of the page together, so say beyond OR bigger, and then they do the right side seperatly in beyond AND bigger. Or you could do two whole seperate programs.

GL!
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:57 am

I would actually do Beyond with them based on everything that you have said. You can always do DITHR with your older child at her level and even add in a few extra read a louds from the appendix for her. The reason I say this... Your older child will really be able to go "deep" with the books used in Beyond. Your younger child won't understand "as fully" but will get the basics and will learn so much. If you go with Bigger, you may lose your younger one completely. It may be just enough "over his head" that he won't be able to engage and really get the most out of it. With Beyond I really believe both of your children will learn and excel!! :D
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:13 pm

I did Beyond this year with a 6 and 8 year old. It went very well. You could use Beyond for both and then use the right side of Bigger for your daughter. This would keep them together.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi there,

I just have a few minutes, and hope I can be of help.

I was in your shoes last year. I have a 5, 6 and 7 year old and wasn't sure if I should combine or separate my children. My oldest sounds a lot like yours, as she is an advanced reader and very strong in language arts. Since I have two more coming up in the ranks, I decided to combine and put them in LHFHG, with each of them working at their own level for math, spelling, reading, and phonics. For a while there, I just wanted more for my oldest. In making plans for the upcoming year, I though again about separating them, and having my oldest skip Beyond and go into Bigger in the Fall. I recently bought the Bigger Economy pack so I could review the manuel, and then it hit me. My children all love learning. They're doing great! They are all working above on or above grade level in many different subjects, so why not relax and enjoy the ride?

We have the best time doing HOD, and the children really benefit from one another other during discussions and art/science projects. I think it's only going to get better when we start Beyond! This program has been such a blessing. Plus, Lord willing, we plan on sticking with HOD for the long haul, and keeping at this pace HOD will last until 8th grade for my oldest, 7th for the younger two.

Now there are plenty of families that use two different programs successfully. That is one of the bonuses of HOD! It is completely manageable -- I was even able to get school done when we all were sick one week.

Good luck in making your decision.

Joy
Using LHFHG and lovin' it!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:09 pm

Tricia,

I agree with the ladies that if you desire to keep them together, they would be best combined in Beyond for the left side of the plans and the Storytime from the right side of the plans. Your younger child would do all of Beyond as written. I think it is a good idea to combine kiddos who are close in age if at all possible. :D

For your older child, I would also add the right side of the Bigger Hearts guide to use the studied dictation in the Appendix for Spelling, the Rod and Staff English 2 schedule, the cursive assignments, and the 2A/2B or 3A/3B Singapore math. You would also add DITHR Level 2/3 for him, along with books of your choosing, or you could use one of our ready made books sets with it if you prefer. :D

The one other area that you may wish to add to for your older son would be the science readings. You could do this by just choosing books that appeal to your older son's science interests, or add an elementary Apologia text for him, or just add some good science biographies. Any of these will work well to adjust the science for your older child. :D

Then, the following year you would move both into Bigger Hearts with extensions and just add part of the right side of Preparing Hearts for language arts and math for your older child. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks so much for all of your input. It's so wonderful to share in your collective wisdom and advice! You have all given me much to consider. All in all, I want to bring a little more fun into our day. I think the advice to go with Beyond is probably right, because I've noticed my son "balking" at listening to certain books (ie: certain chapter books or history books with too much detail) and the reason being, they may be slightly past his comfortable level. But on the other hand, if I "trick" him into listening to some books (ie: just start reading while he and my 3 1/2 y/o ds are playing quietly with trucks or blocks or something) he tends to get into it and wants more! Or if I'm reading about weather or bugs or snakes, he'll listen forever! :D While my dtr is capable of advanced work in the LA area, sometimes I wonder if it would be better not to push and just let her be a kid, too! You know, enjoy learning, instead of sometimes pushing or trying to keep up with friends' children. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, I believe Beyond would have more hands-on learning/activities to satisfy the needs of a 6 y/o boy!

I'm praying that the Lord will help us make decision that helps us choose the right program so that our home school "looks and feels" the way I think it could be! Cuddling while reading, excitement, enjoyment. Plus, I love how the programs help to bring home spiritual principles throughout, not an add-on, and I'm looking for help in that.

OK, I'm rambling! Thanks for the listening ear!
Tricia
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi Busymoma1,
Busymomma1 wrote:I'm praying that te Lord will help us make decision that helps us choose the right program so that our home school "looks and feels" the way I think it could be! Cuddling while reading, excitement, enjoyment. Plus, I love how the programs help to bring home spiritual principles throughout, not an add-on, and I'm looking for help in that.
If that's what you're looking for, then I really want to encourage you, because that completely describes our school day! Even though we're over half way through LHFHG, I started using Beyond for my younger two for spelling, emergent readers and we just started reading Ginger Pye for the mystery genre. The kids love it. What I also like about the program is that it stresses narration. I know my kids are comprehending the stories they hear, and not just listening to be entertained -- and that goes for all subjects! Like you said, the Biblical portion is executed very well, and it is a continuation of the lesson, and not an add-on. That is so important to me.

Obviously you have some things to consider. I just wanted to wish you luck.

Blessings,

Joy
Just finished Unit 25 in LHFHG, and lovin' it!

netpea

Post by netpea » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi Tricia,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I messed up my login ID and had to ask Carrie and Mike to fix it for me... I shouldn't have been playing around in my user control panel. :roll: Thought I was being all smart and stuff. :lol:

Anyway, You asked me about doing 2 programs. I wish I could combine my kiddos after hearing everyone who does talk about how great it is. If you can make it work, do it. I started with HOD with my oldest in LHTH and have worked up Bigger. My daughter is doing wonderful in LHFHG but definitely could not do Bigger this year. My kids are only 2.5 years apart, but too far apart acedemically to combine. Its' no sweat to do 2 programs. I just wish we were doing everything together like those who combine...

Figure out what works best for you and go for it. HOD makes it easy either way.
:D
Lee Ann
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:42 pm

Anyway, You asked me about doing 2 programs. I wish I could combine my kiddos after hearing everyone who does talk about how great it is. If you can make it work, do it. I started with HOD with my oldest in LHTH and have worked up Bigger. My daughter is doing wonderful in LHFHG but definitely could not do Bigger this year. My kids are only 2.5 years apart, but too far apart acedemically to combine. Its' no sweat to do 2 programs. I just wish we were doing everything together like those who combine...
Thanks for the advice! I'm already used to doing separate math and language arts d/t a big gap in abilities, even though my dd and ds are only 19 months apart. We currently combine history, science, some read alouds, etc. So... I think I could pick ONE HOD program, and continue on with my current math/language arts for each of their levels. I feel where we need to the most "help" is in the history/science/art areas and tying it in seamlessly with biblical truth. Having done LHFHG, I essentially need the left page of plans! :-) Plus, I'm looking forward to doing the genre studies with literature.

Thanks to all!
Tricia
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)