Sort of OT: We have been sick for weeks-- since 2/17 and

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rebecca

Sort of OT: We have been sick for weeks-- since 2/17 and

Post by Rebecca » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:58 am

it has really derailed our schooling!!! It has been major sickness. We had influenza a and b; croup; ear infection; and finally stomach virus!!!
I am really in need of support.
Our schedule has been totally out the window... I am so weary. My children are showing forth all kinds of attitudes...

Please give some words...
I am a frazzled Mommy!!!
Rebecca

dale1088

Re: Sort of OT: We have been sick for weeks-- since 2/17 and

Post by dale1088 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:10 am

{{{{HUGS}}}}

I'm so sorry to hear this! The flu has been so bad this year hasn't it?! Did you guys get flu shots?

The beauty of homeschooling is that you can get yourselves back on track pretty quickly, but maybe you need a little break. Is everyone well yet? Where are you - can you take a day off and go somewhere? I'm thinking pack a picnic and head to the lake, or something like that. Get everyone some fresh air and sunshine for the next couple of days and warn them that school and routine starts back on Monday. And that we all start with fresh hearts too.

Can you call a girlfriend to get out for a cuppa coffee this evening? I sure need that sometimes, especially after the kids have been sick and grumpy with me. I can only imagine it for a WHOLE MONTH! :shock: :shock:
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:50 am

Oh, it's so tough when there is sickness...and for a long time at that, it's just that much worse! Be encouraged...you will get back on track with school with a little work. As for the attitudes, we deal with this sometimes too (like right now after Nana and Paw Paw were just here for 3 weeks and almost in complete control because we were in the hospital with dc #4!). That will also take some work but you can get them back to where they should be. I think a good place to start is with what Amy suggested...a good talk with them to let them know you expect some changes by the time Monday rolls around, then stick to it with consequences for bad attitudes and behavior. I know you'll get some more great encouragement and words of wisdom. Hang in there! :)

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 am

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. :( You have my sympathy.

I hate it when sickness takes a toll on the family like that.

Pray, and remember we have an advocate with the Father. :wink:

Joy

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:36 am

I am praying for you, Rebecca. Anyone who has ever had Influenza (A or B) knows the toll it can take on health! Maybe you could just do HOD half-speed until most of you are feeling better? Sometimes bad attitudes can really flare up at times like that. I can totally understand that - no one feels well, and that always effects our attitudes. We've had colds around here, but nothing too terrible. It's tough to know when dc are really feeling sick yet, and when maybe they're feeling quite a bit better but the unhealthy attitude has managed to hang around. :?

I finally told my ds that I did not want the first words out of his mouth in the morning to be anything but pure sunshine. He was always getting up complaining about this or that (an achy knee, a bad night's rest, a sore throat, etc.), and this complaining tended to keep up in various forms all day. I finally told him my back is killing me, I have a migraine, and I dropped the dustbuster on my foot - OUCH! However, he didn't know about any of that because I was choosing to be cheerful instead, and NOT complain. It's not nice to share every ache and pain you are having with everyone around you, because chances are, they aren't feeling perfectly well either - and at that point, all anyone would ever be talking about was what was currently ailing them - not happy conversation. :D

I think that must have hit home. I also did say if the attitude was not pure sunshine, I would need to assume he needed a long nap during the afternoon to recuperate from the "sickness" he was feeling, as well as an early bedtime. He has been pure sunshine this week. He really was pretty much over his cold though - so if you are in the middle of Influenza yet - it's probably not time for the attitude talk just yet. If you're near the end, you may want to prescribe "pure sunshine" or lots of rest. :wink: Praying for good health for you and your loved ones, Rebecca - it WILL pass - you're probably almost on the other side of it. Blessings!!!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:22 pm

Rebecca,

I'm so sorry to hear how sick your family has been! That is never fun. I'm praying right now for your finishing recovery...and that things will get back to being more manageble for you. I think the attitudes flare up when the kids know that I don't have the energy I'd like to be able to take care of everything. (Plus everyone is grumpy when they don't feel well.) Remember, His strength is made perfect in weakness. The Lord will be your helper!

And, I totally agree with getting outside to play. (But, I'm pretty sure that I get "spring fever" worse than my kids, and LOVE to get outside and go to the park, walk in the pasture, jump on the trampoline... :lol: )

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:18 am

Hi Rebecca,

I completely understand where you are coming from. We have been in the same boat with the children having B-strain flu. I currently have 2 well and 2 sick. You never know it will end until it has ended. Last year (and the year before) starting February 9 we went through the same thing and it lasted till the last week of March - combined with several other real life scenarios that made for a "challenging" time. It is so draining and you all begin to wonder when and if you'll ever be well again, BUT here's the good news...YOU WILL! Yes, you will get well and you'll be able to come up with a plan (then) to make up for any lost HOD time. In the meantime, this is what I suggest ....get onto a routine today that includes the following anchors - set wake up time, set meal times, set devotional time, set basic chore time, set read-aloud time, set "outdoor time", set bath and bed time, set evening prayer time. Regarding the "outdoor time" if everyone, including you, could go outside together and walk together, even if it is just to the mailbox and back - do it! It will help you feel as if you are among the living. Also, unless someone has a fever that renders them useless I would encourage you to have the older ones do some basic chores to keep the house in order. You will all feel better, if you do this.

Regarding HOD - when we have times like these, we just focus on keeping on track with the reading. Then we count those weeks as completed and pick up with the rest of the lessons when we are well.

I'm off to pray for you right now. And on a more personal note, my husband and I decided last night that next year we're all getting flu shots!
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:47 am

Thank you all so very much for praying.

I have never been so strained. I think we are finished with sickness as of today... last little bout ended yesterday, Lord willing.

I wish you all lived around me!!! :)

The influenza did hang on ... and then just continue to morph into different things for different children. I guess- affecting their resistance, etc.

We have gotten flu shots in the past- just didn't get them this year. Even if we did- my son still got one of the strains that was not "protected."
Also- my one son is chicken and egg allergic and asthmatic- so he has never been able to get them- but they did say maybe flu mist for him next year???
We'll see. Thankfully, his case was really mild- mainly affecting his asthma only. This was such a blessing- because we have lived with fear and caution over that illness for years due to his health and inability to vaccinate.

Anyway-
the I really felt the prayers.

Lord willing, our week next week will be better. As far as HOD, I like what you said, Florence, about continuiing with readings and moving on... I am going to ponder. I might institute this for now on when stuff like this happens.

Thanks SO much.
Rebecca

Rebecca