Advice on possible choices

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
1GirlTwinBoys

Advice on possible choices

Post by 1GirlTwinBoys » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:51 pm

:? I introduced myself a few weeks ago and told ya'll that I have twin boy's that will be in K and a daughter that will be in 1st (she is 13 months older). I'm trying to decide what to use and combine as much as possible. I am wanting to go with "Little Hearts" to use with all of them. I am really leaning towards McRuffy for math K & 1st, also their phonics & reading program. I love that it has workbooks & readers that go along with the lessons and like what I see on their website. They also have a writing curriculum or I could go with HOD's suggestions???

The only thing I am positive about is not going with Singapore for math. What do ya'll think about these choices. Also, my kid's are all on the same reading level because they started learning phonics/reading together back in Sept. We are using Phonics Pathways but I wish that it had readers and workbook lessons to go along with it. :(

my3sons

Re: Advice on possible choices

Post by my3sons » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:32 pm

Hey there - I remember chatting awhile back. :D Little Hearts is a great program, and I do think you will enjoy it! You can sub in a different phonics and math if you want. If you have dc needing to do emerging readers, the emerging reader's set is awesome. The schedule for that and the comprehension questions are in Beyond though. It sounds like you may want the right side of Beyond for other things too - like dictation and copywork for the writing portion. You may want to order the LHFHG guide and packages and pour over it - then decide if there are areas you want to extend for your oldest. Praying for you as you make your final choices!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:38 pm

I'll throw in a plug for Singapore. The activities Carrie has written into the manuals go really well with the Singapore program. We started with Singapore. I have an engineering degree so I had to take a lot of math and I have been pleased with Singapore.

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:55 am

I would have to agree with the other ladies, buy the program and take a good, hard look at what is covered in the cuuriculum before making your decision for phonics and math.

May I also add, Reading Made Easy, one of the choices for phonics, has been an incredible blessing to our family. The readers are built right into the program, along with copywork and art practice. We do that portion in a story journal, my daughter will have a wonderful keepsake of her reading journey.

And may I ask, why are you against Singapore? My daughter loves it, and usually asks to do more math after we are done our daily lesson. Of course, Singapore may not be a good fit for your family, that is the beauty of HS, you can use what works for your child.

Best wishes,
Nancy
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:55 am

Welcome Back! It sounds like you are asking some really good questions. Everyone has jumped in and given you some good points to pray about. I think you're on the right track and can't wait to see how the Lord leads you!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:12 am

We are using The Reading Lesson now with our second child. It has worked wonderfully with them both. My little girl has discovered that she can now read easy books to herself. Such Joy!