Doctrine Specific Devotions etc

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
campaulmace

Doctrine Specific Devotions etc

Post by campaulmace » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi Everyone :)

I am new and looking at ordering LHFHG for my ds. Im loving the whole curriculum, but am wondering if the Devotions, Bible stories etc are Doctrine Specific? I am eager to start but obviously dont want to spend money on something if it will not assist our ds. It would help me GREATLY with input so I know what to buy.

Thanks so much :)

Blessings, Camille

funkmomma71

Re: Doctrine Specific Devotions etc

Post by funkmomma71 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:45 am

By "doctrine specific", what is it that you are concerned about? Is there some teaching that you are very opposed to and are looking to avoid?

My only complaint so far has been with the devotionals, occasionally it mentions "millions of years" in reference to God and His plans and knowledge; I usually skip the words "millions of years" as I believe it is not Biblically correct and may be a cause for confusion later in their education.

My experience is limited to LHFHG, but other than what I mentioned above, it is strictly Protestant in it's approach, which I like. Hope that this is of some help.

Nancy
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

campaulmace

Post by campaulmace » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:25 am

Hi Nancy,

Yes thats exactly what I was wondering. I didnt want anything to be confusing, especially with something so important. You have answered my question and given me a good idea and so it has helped me out greatly. Thankyou very much for your reply, I really appreciate it :D

Have a good weekend.

Blessings, Camille :D

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:32 pm

Ladies,

I'm just popping in here to address the millions of years part of the devotional. It actually doesn't pertain to the age of the world being millions of years old (which we do not believe in personally as we are young earth creationists), so the devotional is not evolutionary in its content. The only mention of millions of years in the devotional is in reference to how long God had been around before the earth was ever created. It's intention is to show that God always was and always will be. We are very careful about any evolutionary sounding content, and so I just wanted to clarify this particular reference's meaning. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Carrie,

I understand that in the context of the devotional, which is wonderful BTW, the the "millions of years" refers to how long has been around. I prefer to use phrases that indicate eternity rather than a set amount of time, because I feel that time, as we understand it, did not exist until Creation, therefore the "millions of years" phrasing could be confusing to my dd, so I choose to rephrase it when it comes up. I do love the devotional, it has lead me and my dd into many very productive talks about God, sin and her need for Christ and as a matter of fact it was after doing one these devotionals that she gave her life to Christ. So I don't mean to take away from your choice of this book, it is wonderful. :D

Nancy
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:50 pm

Oh, Nancy! I understand what you're saying now about your preference for using the word "eternity" rather than saying a set period of time. I was just trying to clarify for the original poster the context of the "millions of years ago" phrasing, as I didn't want her thinking we'd scheduled a devotional with evolutionary material in it. We try to be very careful in that area. :wink:

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:56 pm

We just use anything we come across that we don't agree with as a jumping point for further discussion. :-)
This year, however, we've stopped using the devotionals and the Bible reading plan as written because my church has put together a fabulous year long Bible reading/study program, and we are doing that. They coordinate it with the sunday school lessons every week, the sermons every week, the mission focus, etc and have written study guide questions for small groups to use for weekly discussion topics. Our family has become our own small group! :lol:
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: