Just found HOD & have questions re starting :D

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
campaulmace

Just found HOD & have questions re starting :D

Post by campaulmace » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:34 am

Hi Everyone,

We are a Christian family from New Zealand intending to continue teaching our ds via Homeschooling when he turns 5 this month. School starts at 5 here. I came across HOD yesterday amazingly & it looks absolutely great. I do have a few questions for you though :wink:

My questions are, does HOD have 'living books' (like CM suggests)? Im thinking yes, but just like confirmation of this as I love the idea of not 'dumbing down' the books for children & encouraging great literature :D
Also are the Bible studies taught/used of any particular faith or will they pretty much fit with most? we use KJV. I love the idea of everything being guided back or forward from Our Heavenly Father because that is the most important to us :)

I am looking at starting ds on LHFHG as this seems the one most suited to him at this time. As we go along will it be a problem using the history for example as it will be US based, or is it possible at sometime to add NZ history. If anyone has any ideas on great living books for NZ history, I would love to know :)

Also my ds just turning 5 would I be correct in ordering the LHFHG K packages rather than Year 1?

I am praying on this curriculum but feel that Our Heavenly Father has lead me here, so would love any input from how those using it & how they have found it with their children over the longer term.

Thanks and Blessings, Camille :D

netpea

Re: Just found HOD & have questions re starting :D

Post by netpea » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:10 am

Welcome to the boards. I would say that your 5yo would do just fine with LHFHG with the K options. Did you look at the placement chart though? Some people start their 5yo in LHTH some start in LHFHG. Little Hearts gives a wonderful overview of history from creation to now. Beyond and Bigger focus on American History and then Preparing does world history.

Yes, HOD does use living book.

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:51 pm

OOOh I love kiwis...the fruit too. :wink:

Welcome to the board. I too felt that the Lord led me here. I have second and third guessed myself over the past year but no matter what I think or question, the Lord keeps saying "Jessi, I led you here. Trust me with the details. Here is where I want you, do you trust me with that?" And I have finally said, "Yes!" It isn't that I think there is better out there but you want to find the best fit for your family and I tend to overanalyze everything. :-)

I think your son will be just fine with LHFHG with the K materials. My daughter is doing it now and she literally LOVES it!!! Are you planning on using Carrie's recommendations for math, handwriting, and phonics? We use her recommendations for handwriting and math but we use a different phonics option.

As for New Zealand living books....if you find any let me know. My husband and I would love to visit NZ! We thought about going there to renew our wedding vows someday.

Look forward to hearing more from you.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

campaulmace

Post by campaulmace » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi Again and thanks for your input :D much appreciated.

I like the fruit too :wink: LOL

I have a reading program so will do the math & handwriting and see how we go with our reading program. I havent used it yet but have heard good things about it.

Our ds is spelling all over the place and is just loving to learn and I think for me at least that I need something where I know what Im doing and headed without the stress of having to plan everything and organise thinkgs everyday etc. This is certainly feeling right and Ive been praying on it fervently, which I guess is the only way to pray actually :D

Im really getting very excited to order and teach my ds as he is going to thrive, I just know it :D

Thanks for your help and support, now I just need to find our about the doctrine side of things and Im set :) Its probably a pretty hard question, maybe Ill need to talk to Carrie :)

Love and Blessings, Camille :D

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:47 pm

campaulmace wrote:Also are the Bible studies taught/used of any particular faith or will they pretty much fit with most? we use KJV. I love the idea of everything being guided back or forward from Our Heavenly Father because that is the most important to us :)
See this older post from Carrie about HOD's theologies:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=385&p=2658&hilit=Re ... tant#p2658

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:58 pm

welcome to HOD!! I just wanted to jump in about the NZ living books-have you seen down under lit dot com? I got some copy work from them and they have lots of NZ and Aussie living books.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

campaulmace

Post by campaulmace » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:23 am

Thanks you all heaps for the welcomes and replys :D , they have helped me greatly. Sure looks like a wonderful program Im getting very excited to think of having something concrete (for want of a better word) to start with my darling son :D .I really appreciate the time and advice you have all given me.

Thanks and Blessings, Camille :D

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:27 pm

Camille,

I just wanted to take a moment to pop-in and welcome you to the boards! :D We're glad you're here. The ladies have done a terrific job of answering your questions. You''ll find the ladies to on the board are very gracious and very giving of their time to help one another. :wink:

I pray you'll enjoy LHFHG as much as we are! We're currently using it with our third son and are really enjoying ourselves. :D

We look forward to getting to know you better. :D

Blessings,
Carrie