The Workbox System - Good for HODies?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Shannon C

Re: The Workbox System - Good for HODies?

Post by Shannon C » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 pm

We have been doing the workbox system with our HOD for a few weeks and it has been the BEST 2 weeks we have had all year. Oh and we are only on week 5 of HOD so that might have something to do with the greatness too! :D My kids are motivated and so am I! I just whip out my teacher's guide the night before and fill boxes to go with boxes laid out in HOD. I also add in some more fun stuff(UNO, crafts, math games, etc). My kids live for the HOD crafts, games, experiments,etc so when they can actually see them coming up, it motivates them even more. It's awesome. The two of these combined is homeschool heaven for us. Also, I am doing it exactly like the workbox system book describes it--I also bought the starter kit which really helped me out as I probably wouldn't have ever gotten it together if I hadn't. We use 12 boxes(though sometimes we only use 9 if we have something else going on that day) on the shoe rack thing. I also add in centers from Evan Moor and I have also set up a few areas for independent science and geography exploration(books, coloring books, interactive globe and microscopes by geosafari). Everything still gets accomplished in a timely manner and we are using both LHFHG and Beyond.

Blessings,
Shannon C

1GirlTwinBoys

Post by 1GirlTwinBoys » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:36 pm

The Workbox System is working great for us too. I get my HOD Guide out and then fill up my boxes the night before with whatever books & supplies we need to accomplish things for the next day. I LOVE it! I did not buy the book or anything but am using the ideas I have found on websites etc... We take the #'s off the boxes and put a smiley face on when we are done with each box. Below is a picture of what we are using: :P
Daughter~ 7 (2nd grade)
Twin Boys~ 6 (1st grade)

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:35 pm

Quick Question? Does every child need their own boxes? (1200 sq ft house)
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

annaz

Post by annaz » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:50 pm

Yes, I ordered mine through currclick. Then if you download Susan Patrick's file for the cards to laminate, she'll ask you for your currclick order number.

1GirlTwinBoys

Post by 1GirlTwinBoys » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:55 pm

Quick Question? Does every child need their own boxes? (1200 sq ft house)
I have twin boys and my daughter is only 1 year older so we are doing mostly the same work/lessons. We just use one system for all 3 of them. Not sure for those with children in different age ranges. :?
Daughter~ 7 (2nd grade)
Twin Boys~ 6 (1st grade)

annaz

Post by annaz » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:56 pm

MamaMary wrote:Quick Question? Does every child need their own boxes? (1200 sq ft house)
Yes, but some use sterilite drawers, some use catalog or magazine holders to save on space. Some also use large ziplocks. I only have one dd so it's not an issue, although mine is huge. I couldn't find the shelving unit. It was either too small or too big, so I have a 48" x 3'. I could fit two more shelves on it. :roll:

If you have space for one, you may want to get a shelving unit and go up. The lower shelves for the little guy, the highest one for the oldest, etc.

My dd loves it!!!! It's somewhat of a lot of work for me. But for us, she'll get started on some independent things while I shower. Without the boxes, she never would.

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:31 pm

I have my workbox systems ready (but still need to get my numbers and smiley faces) to go to start out 2nd year with HOD. Where can I get those? I don't have the book, just using the idea of eliminating the boxes.
We will be doing it with 1 in LHTH and 2 in Beyond. Even though HOD doesn't take any time at all, I think this system will help me organize better with my overly crowded bookshelves and help with all the "are we almost done with school?" questions. :lol: I always want to add in those things like fact cards, game or other specific craft, etc, but get to busy in my day and forget. So, I think this will help with that. :D

I will have to post some pics too, a little bit later. :D

LeAnna :D
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:50 pm

Hey Sharon,
would you mind posting pics of the sliding drawers you bought at walmart? Anyone else want to post their pics as well? I love pics! Guess I'm visual...... :)

thanks so much! :D
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Could you use the things that hang on the back of doors also? i also have a small house and 6 people (1400 sq ft) and i really don't have room for boxes or more shelves or rolling carts. the workbox lady is coming to the NCHE convention next month and i am planning on hearing her talk. Hopefully she'll have pictures too. thanks, cheryl
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

busybee4

Post by busybee4 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:51 pm

I ran across this idea somewhere out in blogger space not long ago and fell in love with the organization of it all. We implimented this into our lives but on a much smaller scale because we have a small house and there are six of us. You can check out what we've made work at our home here http://www.rubyslippersschool.blogspot.com I hope that this helps someone else out as well!!
Krissy, wife to a great man for 10 years and busy Mom to
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05
dd '08 watching it all happen...but not doing it very quietly!!
http://www.rubyslippersschool.com

kayben

Post by kayben » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:12 am

Because I just can't help myself.. I just ordered this too. Now I am going to search for the ultimate Drawer/box system for a smaller home with 7 children. I believe I saw some great scrapbooking drawer type things. Also the kids sharing a program sharing at least the "right" side bins may help to decrease the storage needed. Maybe a "family" set of drawers for the group activities and individual drawers for the basics.. HMMM can't wait to get the book and dive in. I did order the kits too! Can't wait, I ordered it Sun. night and it shipped yesterday!
Rebecca :D
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:35 am

It seems like a lot of $ for something that is just so ...obvious, IMO. I am not bashing her system...but my kids have a printed schedule. My oldest son is 10 and I put his books out the night before. He looks at his scheduled, does what he needs to from the book, and marks it with a check. It is the same thing, only without "boxes." I think that would really slow us down for that day to have to get up and go get stuff out of the boxes after each subject.

Of course, I am an organized person and have always been. The first thing I did when I got my HOD manual was remove it from the binding, put it in a 3 ring binder, and divide the sections with tabs. :)
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

kayben

Post by kayben » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:44 am

I do agree about the expense for the "boxes". I.. being quite unorganized :oops: am looking for a kind of in between of your check mark paper plan, and a whole Box system. I really don't have the space for these giant systems in some of the links. But I love the idea in modification. Or maybe you can stop by and help me organize!! :D I am definitely not a born organized kind of gal and really admire those of you who are.. I am also a flylady dropout.. Maybe people can post links of modified "mini" box systems.

Did you have to take it somewhere to have it 3 whole punched and the binding taken off? Or can you do this yourself?

Rebecca
Tree House Academy wrote:It seems like a lot of $ for something that is just so ...obvious, IMO. I am not bashing her system...but my kids have a printed schedule. My oldest son is 10 and I put his books out the night before. He looks at his scheduled, does what he needs to from the book, and marks it with a check. It is the same thing, only without "boxes." I think that would really slow us down for that day to have to get up and go get stuff out of the boxes after each subject.

Of course, I am an organized person and have always been. The first thing I did when I got my HOD manual was remove it from the binding, put it in a 3 ring binder, and divide the sections with tabs. :)
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:57 am

Another type of modification that we are using is a large poster-board with small pockets to hold a laminated card. Each laminated card has an activity or chore listed that is facing picture side out. When the activity or chore is done for the day, you flip the card over so the blank side is facing out. At the end of the day, all cards should be facing blank side out. Then you just place in the picture cards for the next day. Once the kids get old enough to read well, I'll probably just go to a checklist type system.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Geo

Post by Geo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:19 am

Tree House Academy wrote:It seems like a lot of $ for something that is just so ...obvious, IMO. I am not bashing her system...but my kids have a printed schedule. My oldest son is 10 and I put his books out the night before. He looks at his scheduled, does what he needs to from the book, and marks it with a check. It is the same thing, only without "boxes." I think that would really slow us down for that day to have to get up and go get stuff out of the boxes after each subject.

Hi,
I'm Geo. This is my first post here. I will be using Bigger next year with my youngest 2, 10yodd & 7yods. I have ordered the workbox book and hope to implement it as soon as possible. The real plus for me is that it was originally developed for her son who is on the autism spectrum. What is so obvious to you and your children is NOT obvious to such children. ADD/ADHD is another hinderance to processing and organizing. Both types would benefit enormously from such an approach. There is a tendency for these children to not be able to "see" the progress and become overwhelmed with the sense of endless tasks. Practical books for teaching AS and ADD/ADHD are filled tips and systems to help with this. These systems help children gain control and stability in what seems to them like chaos. As for the "normal" person who is very visual this would be a welcome tool as well. My children are a mix from each category. It (the system) goes a long way in promoting responsibility, autonomy and self-motivation, which are HUGE life changing accomplishments. The testimony of the positive responses of so many children are the proof in the pudding. Though I did read a story about a boy who "melted down" because he realized he wasn't able to avoid certain subjects anymore because his mom wasn't prepared! Oh well, you can't win them all.
Ok, gotta go. I will post later about my family and our upcoming HOD year.

For now,
Geo
Geo
married forever to one man
hsing for 22 years:
6 children:
Eric (34) (not a typo)
Ian (26) leader
Lauren (24) steel magnolia
Sally (17), senior in phs
Zoe (10), administrator
Oskar (7), dead ringer for Thomas Edison