What philosophy does HOD fall under?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Shannon C

What philosophy does HOD fall under?

Post by Shannon C » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:25 am

I was just curious as to what homeschooling method/philosophy you would say HOD is? Is it mainly CM, classical, combo? I only ask b/c I see a lot of discussion of it on WTM, but it doesn't seem very classical. What influenced you, Carrie--if you are reading this? If someone ever asks me what method I use, I'd like to know the answer! I have gone between CM and classical as I've been planning, but I can never decide what is best for us. What I do know is that we will be implementing LHFHG and Beyond soon and I think it will be a perfect fit for us whatever it is!

Blessings,
Shannon

Candice

Re: What philosophy does HOD fall under?

Post by Candice » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:18 am

Shannon,

I found this helpful when I had the same question:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/educational-philosophy.ph

Candice :D

Edited to add: Hmmmmm, the link is not working for me, not sure if it is for you. If you go to the HOD homepage and click on the drop-down menu (upper right hand corner), you will see the "educational philosophy" heading. Click on that for Carrie's insight.

Shannon C

Post by Shannon C » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks, that helps me understand a bit more. I definitely think we're more of a CM type family. I just didn't get why so much discussion was going on over at WTM. The thing I like most is that it is so Christ centered and in the end, that is what matters most to me. I'm not striving to have geniuses, just well educated children that grow to have solid relationships with the Lord.

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:30 am

http://www.heartofdakota.com/educational-philosophy.php
This one should work..

you freaked me out for a second :P cause their is no way I'm telling the web guy there is a broken link, as he is happily strumming his guitar watching the birds and is very relaxed! 8) drinking a cup of tea contemplating the beauty of the desert mountains.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Candice

Post by Candice » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:41 am

You may just end up with geniuses', never know what God has planned! :D

I think all the chatter on other boards is probably a result of all the HOD users out there spreading the word about HOD.
I have been sharing it with my friends in our HS group... one has already ordered and one is devouring the catalog, and another is coming over to take a look at my Little Hearts guide as well as my Beyond guide. I think once someone gets a peek at the HOD materials they get hooked!

Candice :D

Candice

Post by Candice » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am

Tansy wrote:http://www.heartofdakota.com/educational-philosophy.php
This one should work..

you freaked me out for a second :P cause their is no way I'm telling the web guy there is a broken link, as he is happily strumming his guitar watching the birds and is very relaxed! 8) drinking a cup of tea contemplating the beauty of the desert mountains.

Thank you Tansy!
:D
Candice

marypoppins

Post by marypoppins » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:49 am

For me, HOD is the perfect balance of CM and traditional. I have always desired to incorporate a CM flair to our homeschool, but I also desired to stay on a traditional scope and sequence for the 3 R's. Whenever I tried more "pure" approaches to CM style such as with Ambleside, I felt I wasn't going to be able to achieve our goals in the 3R's. We also missed those fun, hands-on type of activities that lots of CM purists consider to be "twaddle." So for us, HOD has been an answer to prayer. Imho, it is the perfect balance of staying on track and meeting standards in those very important core subjects, and at the same time also affording us an abundance of wonderful, meaty literature selections with short readings, and interesting activities and projects in History, Science, and Poetry. We really enjoy it and are blessed each day we use it. :D

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Shannon,

The ladies did a terrific job of answering your questions! :D I'll also link you to this past thread that may be of interest to you too: :D
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2453

Blessings,
Carrie