Singapore Math Questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kristen

Re: Singapore Math Questions

Post by Kristen » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:07 pm

Well I finally decided to give Singapore a try. Don't know why I waited so long. :D I looked at the price and I thought, why not try it for the rest of this year and then take it from there? From what I have read here and on Singapore's website it really reinforces higher reasoning. It gets them thinking like you explained, Tamara. I could see it even in the placement tests they did. The word problems make them think, how am I going to figure this out? Not just always giving them the problem and they fill in the solution. They need to know when to use addition, multiplication, whatever.
Anyway, I decided to start them at 1A (age 7) and 1B (age 8) while we finish Beyond for this year. It's one book lower for each than they might have been placed at, but this way they get some review, fill in any gaps, we see how it works, and I have Carrie's activities for each.
I'll let you know how it goes!
Kristen
ds17 - mostly textbooks, community college, and lots of hands-on projects
ds15 - an eclectic mix, sports, Scouts
ds9 - BHFHG, loves LEGOs

dd7 - LHFHG, loves taking care of her dolls, arts & crafts

marypoppins

Post by marypoppins » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:55 am

Daisy,

I know that as always, you will cover this decision in prayer and will come up with a good solution with your dh. I just wanted to agree with water2wine that BJU has been the answer to our math woes here. I have used Saxon and CLE without much success, but BJU has been the answer. It is gentle and very clearly laid out. I really like the explanations that are shown to the students on the worksheets. There is one worksheet per day, front and back, and I'm really not finding it to be an overwhelming number of problems like it was with both Saxon and CLE. I have read that BJU is similar to Singapore in the sense that it really tries to explain the "whys" of the concepts being learned, and it does give practice with mental math which I appreciate. So I think it does get to the reasoning skills that are needed in learning and understanding math, yet it is presented in a comfortable format that we enjoy. BJU gets a bad rap for their huge TM's, but actually, there are just a lot of extras in there which can be helpful for teaching kiddos of all different learning methods. It's pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it, and realize that you really do not need to do everything in the TM. Many days we do just fine using the great explanation in the student workbook. I had strongly considered switching ds to TT5 next year, but BJU is working so well for us, we have decided to not mess with a good thing.

I know Carrie will be able to jump in and advise you here soon, but I wanted to share our experience with you. Goodluck with your decision. I know you will make the right choice. :wink:
Last edited by marypoppins on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:57 pm

Wow I can't believe I am going to even begin to answer a math question because math is my nemesis. I began researching math curricula when my oldest was 3 years old because I was so afraid of it. So because of that I'm very familiar with many math curricula. My oldest was like your son. He had done a Earlybird book and loved it and I wish I would have stuck with it too. My 9 year old is in 1A so don't beat yourself up. Most kids place at least a "year" behind if not more when they take the placement test for Singapore. Singapore is very mental in it's approach. Most other math curricula don't approach math the same way at all. Keep in mind that the numbers on Singapore's books do not mean grade level. It just happens that most kids start 1a in 1st grade but the numbers are not grade levels per se.

If you want to keep her in Singapore my advice would be to put her in the book where she can take the placement test without tears and frustration. If she is going through that much turmoil over the problems then she is just not used to using the mental component to do the problems and she will need time to learn how to approach those problems the Singapore way. Even if she gets the correct answer it doesn't seem that she knows the "why" of the method. You will want her to learn how to approach math a different way and to keep from overwhelming her she might need to go lower and practice doing things differently even if she can answer the problems from rote memorization. If the numbers are an issue with your kids tell them they aren't grade levels. I would much rather back up now then have to deal with the fall out of not knowing the mental component later. I shudder to think about it actually :shock:

Well it's taken almost an hour for me to get this typed out so Carrie may have already responded and if she has ignore me and listen to her LOL.

Not to make things any harder for you but I've been looking at Math on the Level and I'm very intrigued with it. I'll be researching it at our curriculum fair in May. I really like the looks of it so far but I'm very cautious of all things math :lol:

Just my .02 worth.
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:57 pm

Daisy,

I agree with you that math should not be taking that long every day and that while some of it may be due to issues of maturity or diligence, at least part of the problem is the sheer volume of problems in the daily assignments that you mentioned. Overkill on drill (or supersizing everything) is something that we do too much of here in the U.S.! We always seem to think more is better and sometimes more is just... more. :wink:

This is one of the big reasons that Singapore appeals to me. It is more Charlotte-Mason in that it contains fewer problems that require a higher level of thinking. Yes, it is hard work sometimes to think through some of the problems, but since there aren't pages of problems we're more willing to persevere, and I'm more willing to help (as I can see the end of the assignment not far away). :lol:

Additional drill and practice is one of the easiest things to add to any math program. Higher-level thinking, mental math, and reasoning are harder to add to a program. While you can always add in a workbook that contains higher level problems, it often doesn't sink in as well as if the whole program was using the methods of training kiddos "how to think to find the answers". :D No math program is a perfect fit for everyone, but we've found the combination of short lessons with fewer problems of a higher level to be a winner here. :D

I'd start your son where he placed and start your daughter one book back (just to help her gain some confidence). Be warned that the 'A' books of each level are harder at the beginning and then even out as the book progresses. So, if you need to slow down at the start to be successful do it. Also, don't worry about mastery each day, just keep moving forward steadily progressing. The concepts will come up again. We've never slowed down to do extra practice. If the kiddos need extra help, I sit beside them and talk through it with them, but we keep moving forward. Not everything is meant to be mastered in its first introduction. Singapore is a layered approach. :wink:

Last, I wouldn't hurry too fast through the levels or you'll quickly get to a level that is too difficult too soon. If it feels easy in parts, celebrate that! We have found that Singapore has a good ebb and flow of hard concepts and then easier ones. However, if too much additional drill and practice is added then you'll lose the ebb and flow it will feel like the kiddos are in the hard concepts all of the time. :D

My second son is just starting 4A now, and he is a mathy kiddo. He always scores in the 99th percentile in math on his standardized tests, yet he's just beginning 4A in the last 3 months of grade 4. He's right where he should be and enjoys his math lessons. I share this to let you know not to worry about rushing. :D When feeling the desire to rush, ask yourself, "Where are we rushing to get to?" If its the higher level concepts, then with Singapore you'll already have that earlier than in most other programs. The thinking is built into the lessons so that kiddos excel even a book or two behind when compared to the scope and sequence of other programs. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie