Native American study

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Vicki

Native American study

Post by Vicki » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:25 am

I'm wondering about adding in some kind of Native American study with our Amer. History studies. I feel that it is important to show how these people lived, and not just portray them as "savages" as some of the literature suggests. I think for an 8 y/o this would be an interesting add-in to our lessons.

I'm wondering what Carrie or anyone else here has either used or suggests for this.

Thanks!
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

dale1088

Re: Native American study

Post by dale1088 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:01 am

I agree about the whole "savages" thing. I am part Choctaw and as a girl became enchanted with Native American culture. In wanting to introduce some of this to my own 8yo, I found a book to supplement with called "My People: A History of the Native Americans" by Ka-Be-Mub-Be (also known as William Camus). It's a beautiful book, full of artwork and photos, and I found it pretty cheap at Half Price Books. While we aren't doing a full unit study on Native Americans, I hope to someday when she is older, so we just use this to add more knowledge as we are reading. I am planting a seed, I hope.
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks for the book suggestion. I'm off to google it.

I live near a large Choctow population, and so much of my state's history is involved with Native American past. There are Indian mounds all around us, and so many of our towns have names given to us by these people. I truly think that we need to learn a little more than "Squanto taught the Pilgrims to plant corn with fish"--KWIM?

I have a pattern for a costume that I thought we could sew together and add beading to. I also have some little kits for a canoe and leather pouch. I know these aren't much, but it's a start. I have a package of muted tones of pony beads that I thought we would use for a wampum belt. I also have an old Nature Company book on Native Americans with lots of pictures.
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:36 pm

We've been doing American Indians also and we are currently reading Naya Nuki.
Other readers:
Native Homes, Life in Pueblo, Life in a Longhouse...all Bobbie Kalman books ( There are 22 different books!)
Sign of the Beaver
If you lived books...Iroquois, Sioux, and Hopi

Project books:
More than Moccasins
Southwest Indians and Northwest Indians from Scholastic ( Our Favorites!)
http://shop.scholastic.com/webapp/wcs/s ... 0001_10002

There are also some fun project ideas here: http://www.mce.k12tn.net/indians/index.htm

Here too :
http://www.corpsrediscovery.com/
Wife to Jesse,
Mom to Michelle, Dawn, Rose, Marie
DD14 Rev to Rev, MTMM in the Fall
Enjoyed Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, and World Geo.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:56 pm

I was just going to suggest the books by Kenneth Thomasma, as we have Naya Nuki (which he wrote) included in our newest DITHR Level 4/5 Book Packs, and it is truly wonderful. He is a good author for books on this topic. You may still have to watch out for some mature content, as I haven't previewed all of his books yet. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

dale1088

Post by dale1088 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:10 pm

These are great suggestions! We are in Bigger and dd has enjoyed doing art projects relating to the Indians like coloring a blanket, the sand painting with colored salt, and making a wig wam. But I also like the idea of making sewing projects like a costume, pouch and wampum belt.

Thanks also for the great book suggestions!
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH