Ok Girls, what are you thinking about doing NEXT year!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaMary

Ok Girls, what are you thinking about doing NEXT year!

Post by MamaMary » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:26 pm

We have had lots of chatter at park days and support group meetings as our Mama's are gearing up for next year. I just had all my boys tested and so I'm in that mode too! :wink:

We will not finish "Beyond" until the end of July because of our interruptions.

Because this is my oldest sons Senior year, :cry: :cry: :cry: I want to make this year all about him and so we will be doing Grad Night, Prom, Grad portraits and monthly Senior Nights where they do scavenger hunts, theme dinner parties, etc.., It helps them to build relationships so that when they do the county graduation they feel like a real Senior Class! My husband and I told him this is HIS year! He's worked hard and homeschooled for twelve years to earn it! (((Oh Be Still My Mama Heart)))

I will use "Bigger" with Colton my 13 year old son. (This is my APD son)

I will use Time4Learning for our math and Language arts with Daily Grams for all three of them. ( I don't group Brandon in anymore)

Ok, what are YOU going to do next year?
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

LeAnna

Re: Ok Girls, what are you thinking about doing NEXT year!

Post by LeAnna » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:34 pm

I am going to be doing Beyond with both of my 5.5 and 6.5 year olds. One will be using Math U See, and the other Singapore for math. Both will use ETC books to go along with either the Reading Lesson or Emerging Readers.
We will also be doing Little Hands to Heaven with my 4 year old. He loves extra table work, so I will be doing some preschool rod and staff books with him, as well.

We are looking forward to our second year with Heart of Dakota!!!! Can't wait!!! :D

LeAnna
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:12 pm

I will be doing Preparing Hearts with Extensions with my dd (6th) and my twins (4th). We have loved our year with Bigger Hearts so much. I am really excited to begin next year already! I am also excited about planning in some neat stuff for that 5th day that is not scheduled. We attend a co-op 6 times in the fall and 6 times in the spring. I am wanting to add in some Answers in Genesis stuff, computer programming, language (still deciding what), the kids are taking an ASL class, music, art. I'm going to have to be careful not to overload for that 5th day! Isn't it great to be excited about the next year instead of dreading it?? :D
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

Riversidemom3

Post by Riversidemom3 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:26 pm

I am using Bigger this year with my 2nd and 4th grader but won't be finished until July. We will move on to Preparing in the Fall along with R&S English and Singapore for math. My dd16/11th is actually starting CollegePlus next week where she will use the rest of her high school credits to combine with college. CollegePlus is a Christian coaching/mentoring program that helps you through getting your Bachelors degree by using a combination credit-by-exam, distance learning and depending on the degree some on-site local courses.

Jeri
Jeri

DD16 Senior year and CollegePlus
DD10 (5th) - BHFHG, DITHOR, Calif. History
DS8 (3rd) - BHFHG, DITHOR, Calif. History

dale1088

Post by dale1088 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:14 pm

I'm excited to be doing Preparing next year for my then 9yo dd/4th grade, and LHTH with my then 5 yo. Not sure if I will call that pre-k or k though. If I call it K, then I will have a guide for every year through 8th for him and he'll follow the same path as his sister. I am loving the program and have no plans to switch or tweak anything!
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:02 pm

My then 6th grade daughter will be doing Ancients. Our then 2nd and 3rd grade boys will move on to Bigger. They did Beyond this year, and my two toddlers will be doing LHTH.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm going to be moving into Preparing, too, with my then 9 yo ds. My little Alli-gal will be 5 and starting LHFHG. Garret will be...hmmm....wrestling a lot with everyone and I'll be reading to him to keep him happy that he gets "school", too. I'm so excited, too!!! :D There's more to look forward to every year! We love HOD!!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

my2guys

Post by my2guys » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:02 pm

Ben will be starting K using LHFHG (with Singapore K, ARFHW A, Thinking Skills, First Reader and ETC) and Sam will start LHTH "for real" on his own - no more tagging along with big brother. :lol:
Last edited by my2guys on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sharon
2017-2018
Ben (14yo) 8th with MTMM
and
Sam (12yo) 6th with RTR
Have already used and enjoyed: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR & Rev to Rev

netpea

Post by netpea » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:32 pm

well, after hearing everybody raving about combining their kids, I'm wishing I could combine mine but there's no way my daughter (who will be in 2nd at 7yo) will be ready for Preparing and my son is in Bigger right now. Beyond is perfect for her I know. But my son will have been through Beyond and Bigger already so I guess we will be doing Beyond and Preparing together. I sure hope he'll take some responsibility for his own work next year. He refuses to take any initiative or responsibility for himself this year, so he drags our school days out. I don't know how I will get through Beyond and Preparing if he is still doing that in the fall.

Sorry, I'm rambling...

MainelyJen

Post by MainelyJen » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:33 am

Oh, Mary. . .his last year? How could you have let this happen?!? :lol: Seriously, I was telling a young mom I know last week that truly, truly she will blink and these years will be gone. And isn't that what we as moms of teens are experiencing? (sniff)

Sam will be 13 in the fall and will go right into "Hearts for Him" when he finishes Preparing.

Catherine will be 15 by Christmas. There is so much meat in Where Brook and River Meet that I don't want her to rush through it, thus it might take more than one year to complete. But she'll earn 8 credits from WBRM alone, not counting her music, PE, her home economics program. Maybe it'll be ok that she spends more than a year on it? The thought of having to move into something else afterward is a little scary. She's really, really loving this. No clue what direction I'm headed in after WBRM. Maybe GED prep for this one? I guess I better start working on a plan for the rest of high school. :shock:
~ Jennifer
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/JennyMaine

Catherine, 14, Where Brook and River Meet
Samuel, 12, Preparing Hearts

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:22 am

I want to start little hands to Heaven with out youngest.He will be 2 and 9 MONTHS in Sept.Is that too young??
Im not sure what to do with our 6 yr old.He dislikes reading-although he can read .Im not sure where to place him after we finish Lhfhg .I dont think repeating the year is a good idea-I think he would get too bored,he has an excellent memory
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Carly

Post by Carly » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:16 pm

I'm not sure yet. LOL!~

We'll stick with our Rod and Staff and Daily Grams for english, TT for math and ??

I'm seriously looking at Carrie's Ancients since we are doing and finishing A Child's History of the World
this year. I love everything Carrie picked out!

Just not sure if I want to put that much $ into our content areas.

Carly

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:28 pm

spidermansmum wrote:I want to start little hands to Heaven with out youngest.He will be 2 and 9 MONTHS in Sept.Is that too young??
Im not sure what to do with our 6 yr old.He dislikes reading-although he can read .Im not sure where to place him after we finish Lhfhg .I dont think repeating the year is a good idea-I think he would get too bored,he has an excellent memory
I started my first dd with LHTH just after she turned 3. She did great with it. We ended up only using it for a few months, but that was because of me not her (I was just excited to try EVERYTHING that was out there at that time being a very new homeschooler). I think it really depends on the child. Your child may or may not be ready for LHTH at that point. My current 2 year old will be 2 years and 8 months this fall and there is no way I would start her with LHTH at that point. All children are different. If you do start, maybe just school 2-3 days a week and stretch LHTH out over 2 years.

This fall I will be doing LHFHG with my newly turned 5 year old. I am SOOOOO excited!!! :D We will be using the guide exactly as it is written, except we have our own program for phonics.
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:33 pm

We will be continuing on with Little Hands. We should finish it up by the end of the year and then we'll start Little Hearts in January. I'm so excited! I've been reading all the great things everyone else has been saying about Little Hearts and can't wait to get into it with my little guy.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:40 pm

ooohhhh stretching LHTH over two years I love that idea
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD