Combining children for ease rather than ability? Help!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
FiveLittlePeaches

Combining children for ease rather than ability? Help!

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:29 am

Greeting to everyone who reads this!

I am new to the HOD board. I am currently doing LHFHG with my 5, 6 and 7 year old and love it. I wrote a glowing review yesterday, but my message didn't go through! :( I will have to try again later.

My question today, is in regards to the placement of my 7 year old, who will be 8 in the fall. She is clearly ready for Bigger, but I wanted to keep her with her sisters when we do Beyond, because I have two more children coming up in the ranks.

She asked to do a program separate from her sisters. I have prayed about this, and wonder if the following would be a good solution. Instead of doing 2 separate programs, I could keep the three together in Beyond, (they will be ages 6, 7 and 8 as the plan recommends) but do different read alouds. My dd has read through most of the read alouds for Beyond anyway, so I was thinking about getting her the "girl" books from the Bigger package. When it comes time for Bigger, she can do either the Classic or Boys. This way she will have her own story time, and her own Mommy time.

Also, the harder question that I'm really pondering, is it ok to "hold back" a child who is clearly ready for a more challenging program? I should probably mention she is also currently doing Rod and Staff 2nd grade. But that is only because we started that R&S before I even knew HOD existed. She does well, but let's face it. It's hard to get excited about a traditional approach to learning. Also, I will mention, she started reading when she was 3. By the age of 5, she quickly transitioned into chapter books. She enjoys challenging books and reads all the time. I have never tested her reading level.

I hope I'm making sense. What do you think?

Kathleen

Re: Combining children for ease rather than ability? Help!

Post by Kathleen » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi there! :D

I'm pretty sure I don't yet have the wisdom for your dilema...but I just couldn't leave your post buried on the board here! :lol:

I don't think you're wrong to keep your kids together for everything but math and LA. I think your idea for a separate read-aloud time for your oldest is great! That extra time for her with you may be just what you need. I'm guessing that Carrie may have some ideas for beefing up Beyond for you, too. Once you hit Bigger, you'll have extension packages available for giving her her own extra work to challenge her more than her siblings.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Patience

Post by Patience » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 pm

Well, I'm not expert, but if it makes you feel any better, my daughter could be doing Preparing right now, but I have her in Beyond with her younger brother. And I did something similiar with her last year. She is excelling though in so many ways and I have not often worried that she is getting what she needs. Combining children of different ages is just plain practical sometimes when you are homeschooling. My older child always seems to take the activities or assignments to a higher level and so that is encouraging to me. But I am happy that HOD has the extensions, because this is a brilliant idea for people in our situation. I'm sure the Lord will lead you to the right situation for your dear ones.
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi & welcome!! :D

I think your idea is fine. Just make sure her math, LA, are on level for her. You could get other books for her like you mentioned except maybe ones that go with the theme from beyond. I don't think that is holding her back b/c she is on level with the basics....Now I have never done beyond so I am sure some other ladies will chime in to help you out!!
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:29 am

Hi Ladies,

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post. I have been wrestling with this issue in my mind for the longest time and it's been driving me crazy. This board has been so helpful. I have gotten wonderful advice from other posts as well. I am so encouraged. :D

I will say this -- I wish Beyond had an extenion package. Maybe that's something I could ask Carrie about. But who knows? Once we get started it may be just perfect. We are having a BLAST using LHFHG at the moment, and we'll be starting Unit 22 on Monday.

Blessings!

Joy

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:06 am

Hi Joy,

I think your plan sounds WONDERFUL! I have a 12 year old son doing Beyond. He does have a learning difference, but could still be doing Bigger or even preparing. We tried doing separate programs in the beginning but it just didn't feel "right". You definitely COULD do that because Carrie has written them in such an easy to use format, but I homeschool because I want to spend that time cuddled with them until they get too old. I am graduating my first little homeschooler next year and it has gone way too quickly. I can never have it back, and I am so thankful that the Lord allowed us the opportunity to homeschool him. HOD wasn't around when he was little, so we used a different unit study program. Those memories are mine forever and no one can ever take them away. My other boys will never forget our HOD memories. Or should I say I will never forget our HOD memories.

Have FUN and enjoy your journey!
Mary
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Welcome to the Board 5 Little Peaches! :D I agree that it sounds like a good idea to keep going into Beyond together, and I'm so glad you are all enjoying that. I was thinking through your dd's desire to have a separate program, your desire to be meeting her academic needs, and the need to not add a lot of time to your day because you are a busy mom. Because of all of those considerations, I'm thinking that Instead of reading aloud a separate book to your older daughter, you and she might better spend your time doing the right side of the Bigger Hearts plans (R & S 2 - which you are already doing anyway - dictation, and most of all DITHR Level 2/3). I think the time spent on DITHR would be better spent then on doing another read-aloud because it will teach her necessary reading skills. If you wanted, you could also consider having her do the science in Bigger instead of the science in Beyond, but that would always put her ahead one guide in the science, so maybe not. Anyway, just something to consider that would help meet the needs you mentioned in your post. If you choose not to do any of this - that is totally up to you because you know what's best for you and your family!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:09 pm

FiveLittlePeaches,

I just wanted to welcome you to the board! :D The ladies are doing a terrific job of helping you talk through your options. They are giving you wonderful advice. :wink:

I agree that it is a good idea to add Drawn into the Heart of Reading Level 2/3 with your older child. It will give you one-on-one time to discuss the books she's reading and will also raise the learning level of her literature study (which it sounds like she is ready to do). It will give her a feel of having her own program in this area, as the little ones will not be at this level for awhile yet. :D

I would also consider having her do the right side of Bigger Hearts to raise her level of language arts and math. She'd continue on with Rod and Staff English 2, begin the Level 2 spelling lists or else begin the first level of dictation passages (as provided in the Appendix of Bigger), do the Cheerful Cursive or Italic D as scheduled in Bigger, and could do the Level 2A/2B Singapore math (unless she's using something else for math).

Just some options to consider, while enabling you to keep on combining for all other areas. I'm so glad your day is going well and that you are enjoying your homeschool journey. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:44 am

Thank you Carrie and everyone else who responded to my concerns.

Da! :!: I totally forgot about DITHOR! I bought that last year it was too advanced for my dd at the time. I started reviewing it, and now I think it's going to be a wonderful fit for my daughter in Beyond. I am so excited! I also just ordered the Book Projects for Level 2/3 and the Book List AND some other things! :) Can't wait for them to arrive.

I will probably order Bigger this summer and take a look at the right side of the page like Carrie suggested. It sounds like a great idea, though!

Thank you all for your thoughtful and excellent suggestions! :D

Joy

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:59 am

I think you could easily "beef up" Beyond for the 7 y/o soon to be 8. I have posted my thoughts in another thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2990

I think this would maintain interest, add difficulty, and yet keep your kids together for awhile in order to maintain your sanity. I cannot (myself) imagine doing several programs with several children at once. I'm not a proponent of just getting it done to check off the boxes, but I do believe in going slowly in order to allow for the learning to naturally occur and be absorbed in their little minds. To me, a mom's sanity and energy is priority one. Attempting to split everyone up just adds to the work, and remember, you still have the house and family to care for as a mother does in her daily work.

Do what works for you. The time will be there, and eventually your children will become more independent. Possibly in the next year or so the oldest could begin Bigger a little independently, and that could help.

Those are my thoughts...
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!