Diana waring cd

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Johanna

Diana waring cd

Post by Johanna » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi,
I have a question about the intended ages for the Diana waring cds that are a part of the Ancients program. When I looked up the cd program it said that its intended for 7th grade and up, so will the audio be too over my 9 yo's head??
Overall the ANCIENT program looks amazing....just want to make sure its not to far over dd's head. :-)
thanks
Johanna

Lynnw

Re: Diana waring cd

Post by Lynnw » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:04 pm

I know you'll be glad to hear from Carrie, but I thought I would comfort you that my oldest ds (now 10) has been listening to Diana Waring for years. Her enthusiasm for history is contagious and I attribute much of my son's love of history to listening to her all these years.

Maybe Carrie will give an idea of how much you listen to at one time, but I was really thrilled to see it in the package. When I showed the new package to my ds he was excited that it will likely be his next fall.

Hope that helps,
Lynn
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:17 pm

I have almost all of DW's stuff and I adore her!! She is a woman after God's own heart and she knows her stuff. The programs she has are best suited for grades 7 and up. Her cds can be used by younger children, but it is best to know that she talks very fast. Depending on the child's ability to grasp things, it may take listening to the tracks more than once to get all s/he needs to draw from them. You can go to the site and listen to samples :
http://www.dianawaring.com/free_samples/index.html
I don't remember which cd is used in this package, but the True Tales are more easily grasped by younger children. You may not find the right cd on the samples page, but you can at least get an idea of Diana's Enthusiasm from any of the samples.
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

Johanna

Post by Johanna » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:02 pm

Yes, I listened to the samples...and she does talk fast. I sorta lean more towards the SOTW cds for the below 6th grade crowd....but, that is just with going from samples not actual experience.
I did notice her enthusiasm as well.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:58 pm

Johanna,

We've actually been waiting to put Diana's CD's in our programs until we thought most kiddos would be old enough to grasp the general idea of what's she's talking about. Our oldest son has been listening to Diana's What in the World tapes/Cd's since he was in first grade, which is NOT typical. However, he has a wonderful understanding of the flow of history and of the big picture of time, which we largely attribute to his listening to Diana Waring! :wink:

We are not expecting kiddos to get all of the information down from Diana's presentations, as she does talk very quickly. We're instead wanting them to catch her enthusiasm and to get a bigger picture of history from a very Biblical perspective. While we will only schedule one trip through Diana's CD's in our ancients guide, it is our hope that kiddos will desire to listen to her again and again to catch everything they missed the first time around! :D

We'll be building listening skills too as kiddos listen, which is an important skill to start cultivating from a young age. Diana's CD's will be paired with readings on similar topics, so it will used as a reinforcement to what is being read. 8)

We pray Diana will be a blessing in your household, as it has been in ours! My hubby is an enthusiastic Diana listener now, and he wasn't so sure about her over-the-top excitement in the beginning. Her grasp of history is amazing. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Johanna

Post by Johanna » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Thank you so much Carrie, I look forward to the program!!!