Question about the new Ancients...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

Question about the new Ancients...

Post by Marsha » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:48 pm

Well, I guess it's not exactly a question...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you could use the boy/girl read-alouds for readers.
I think there is a book for each Genre.
I think I will use the History Read-Alouds and use the Boy/Girl read-alouds to go along with DITHOR.
I have a boy and girl that will be in it when we finish Preparing.

Is there any reason why this won't work?

Thank you
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

water2wine

Re: Question about the new Ancients...

Post by water2wine » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:24 pm

I think that will work but curious to see what Carrie will say because I had similar thoughts on this. I love that she has the options this way. Anyway glad you asked the question. I am thinking the same and assumed it would work as long as reading levels matched. We were even thinking of mixing the boy and girl interest for the sake of my son. I think the flexibility is there but glad you asked the question. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

TeacherMom

Post by TeacherMom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:28 pm

I was also wondering about reader packages. :)

butterfly113

Post by butterfly113 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:21 pm

Great minds think alike...! I love it! I had wondered the same thing. I'm curious what Carrie will have to say!
Butterfly
Married to Grasshopper for 21 wonderful years.
DS14 Caterpillar - full of life!
http://joshuatreeacademy.blogspot.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:16 pm

You ladies are so smart!! We're all starting to think like one another. The Lord must be speaking to us all in a similar way. :wink:

When we decided to add a History Interest Read-aloud Set to the new guide, we pondered long and hard whether to change the Boy and Girl Read-Aloud Sets (that I had already chosen for the new guide) into Level 6/7/8 Drawn into the Heart packages instead. We decided in the end, however, to keep them as read-aloud options (as that was my intention when I selected them), because they are wonderful read-alouds. :D

However, due to the reading levels on each book, and the fact that they are just wonderful books all the way around, they will work as Level 6/7/8 readers for DITHR too. They will also work for younger strong readers who need a higher reading level than the Level 4/5 Book Sets allow. :wink:

So, if you're not going to get a chance to read-aloud those books, they would work well as readers for DITHR. Clear as mud? :D

Blessings,
Carrie

MainelyJen

Post by MainelyJen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:22 am

That's great, Carrie. I'm sure I'll want to continue our read-aloud tradition here at my house, but if there's a title I can't squeeze in, it could always be used as a DITHOR title. For moms with large families using multiple HOD levels, I'm sure they'll welcome the book pack as a way to implement DITHOR 6/7/8 during the Ancients cycle without more books in mom's read-aloud pile!

This is what we are blessed by, Carrie. . .that you are a homeschooling mom in the trenches, just like us. No one else would have the pulse of what it's like and be able to meet those real needs we have!
~ Jennifer
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/JennyMaine

Catherine, 14, Where Brook and River Meet
Samuel, 12, Preparing Hearts