Just an intro and a ?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ahngele

Just an intro and a ?

Post by ahngele » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Hello I am a new member, my name is Angie and I have 2 sweet little boys that I homeschool. I had been trying to figure out what to do with an extremely intelligent and attention-seeking 4 year old when I came upon HOD and I purchased LHTH. I read it cover to cover and was so impressed I ordered BHFHG for my 8 yo as well and am awaiting it's arrival. I do have a ? about math. Has anyone used Math MAmmoth with BHFHG? My 8 yo is not a math kid, I have looked over singapore before and don't see that working. I also want to use explode the code for the phonics, he is about done with needing phonics though and just needs to actually read more so I don't see that being a problem. Thanks and I look forward to learning from you all.

8arrows

Re: Just an intro and a ?

Post by 8arrows » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Although I do use Singapore, you can easily use another math program with HOD. I have used Explode the Code myself with HOD. I don't see any problems with your plan.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:14 am

I agree with 8arrows, it is easy to substitute your own math and phonics with any of the manuals. Carrie has recommendations on her site for those whoo don't already have a math or phonics program, or for those who might want to make a switch...also so you can see at a glance everything that will be needed with HOD. If you're happy with Math Mammoth and ETC, then it should not be a problem at all to use those. HTH :wink:

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:05 pm

inhistiming and 8arrows did a great job of answering your question. I just wanted to pop in and say hi and welcome. I went to your blog. You have such a cute family and I love all the crafts you did at Christmas. :-)

Have a great day!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:29 pm

Hello,

Welcome to the board. I have used MUS with Carrie's programs, but have now realized that her Math Explorations are so good and such good applications to real life and higher level math thinking. You can even combine and just do them with your child as a supplement.

I did not understand whom you are going to use ETC with. If it's with your older one, the emergent reader program in BHFHG is also great.

Success and you and the kids will have loads of fun!
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:03 pm

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you to the boards! We're glad to have you here! :D The ladies are doing such a great job of helping you. You'll find the board to be a wonderful source of information and encouragement. We are blessed to have such an Christ-centered group of ladies on the board who are so gracious with their time. 8)

We look forward to getting to know you better! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:21 pm

Welcome.

I'd encourage you to give Singapore a try, using the placement test at their website (sorry I don't know the link - I know it's been shared here before). My two oldest are both very non-mathy, and it's working for us so far. They've gone from loathing/dreading math to it being one of their favorite subjects (probably b/c of the snacks we use as manipulatives for the activities... LOL).

I did start them both on somewhat "easy" levels where I knew they'd have success. Math is such an important skill, and I want to do everything I can to help them learn and enjoy it. (I majored in math and taught high school math before having children and staying home.)
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

Benelli

Post by Benelli » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:06 pm

Hello! Welcome to HOD!

Just wanted to pop in and tell you what I am doing with 2 of my children. They are 1st graders using LHFHG. We started the year with both of them doing Singapore 1A and both doing The Reading Lesson for phonics. My son began struggling tremendously with Singapore Math starting in about week 8 or so. A couple of weeks ago, I added Math Mammoth Addition 1 for him, just to give him more practice and more time to understand the concepts he was struggling with in Addition and Subtracion (missing addends, especially). It seems to be working very well for him. He is no longer crying every day at Math time, and definitely likes the Math Mammoth approach. When he's ready, we'll go back and "re-do" the Review pages of Singapore that he totally did NOT get. He is still moving ahead in Singapore along with his sister, because the next section was shapes and measurment, and he's understanding those fine. Just not Addition/Subtraction as explained in Singapore. Or, maybe it was just not enough practice for him. So right now, he is doing both maths, and is doing very well with that.

My daughter, on the other hand, is doing just fine with Singapore. But,for her, reading is very difficult. She's going much more slowly through The Reading Lesson, and she had even already gone completely through phonics in Kindergarten (with Bob Jones University curriculum in a private school). So, I have added in Explode the Code workbooks to help her have extra practice and confidence. She loves them.

The HOD guides are so flexible and so efficiently planned, that adding supplements and/or changing little things to fit your children is very easy to do. I do also have 2 children in Bigger Hearts, one using Singapore 2A/B and one using Singapore 3A/B. They are both thriving with Singapore. However, if they were not, I could easily see adding in (or substituting) Math Mammoth for Singapore as needed. HTH!
Lisa, Mama to 7 -

PHFHG with Ben (9) and Ellie (11) with extensions
BLHFHG half-speed with Sophie (8) and Anthony (7) with Emerging Readers and Draw*Write*Now
LHFHG with Thomas (7) and Nicholas (5) with Emerging Readers
and Lily Jane (2) tagging along

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:12 pm

Angie,

Here's a link to the Singapore placement test, if you do decide to see where your child places within Singapore math: :wink: http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_s/12.htm

I'd begin by giving your sweetie the 1B placement test (U.S. version) and see how he does. If he passes, then move forward to the 2A test. if he doesn't pass then he gets placed in 1A. Continue testing until he no longer passes to see where he ends up.

The Bigger Hearts guide has hands-on lessons for 2A/2B with the schedule for 3A/3B in the Appendix. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi just wanted to say welcome. We have used Mammoth math as a supplement. You could definitely use it if you want. No problem to switch math. I use Singapore with one group and BJU with the next. It all works great with HOD. I will tell you though that my oldest four I did not use Singapore because they came from public school and I felt like it would have blown them out of the water. I so wish now that I had and just went slower. It is a really great program. I think we would have done better to go ahead and use it and step back a bit. It is pretty much too late for that with them now and BJU works for us. I just think Singapore really teaches them how to think and have regrets for having not used it with my oldest four.

Congratulations on starting HOD. You will love it, and welcome! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

ahngele

Post by ahngele » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:34 am

I meant to say my 8 yo will be using BLHFHG not BHFHG...duh, LOL too many letters :) Thank you all for your warm welcome and advice. My plan for now is to go ahead with Math Mammoth but still use the hands on math activities from Beyond. My son is getting to the emergent reader stage so I will be using the books schedule for him. Thanks so much :)

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:40 am

WOOHOO! A question I have experience in~

I have an 8 year old (just turned 9) using Bigger. We did BEYOND the code-- which is part of explode the code, perfect for his age too.
We have math mammoth, which we are doing in addition to Singapore math. He really needs the extra math with his LD's. Combined together has not been a problem.

Good luck!