Placement question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TeacherMom

Placement question

Post by TeacherMom » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:51 pm

I'm here again :) asking a few more questions.

I am looking at the program placement chart, specifically at the reading/wring/grammar, mechanics, and usage boxes. It appears that language arts and math skills determine placement.

My oldest (turns 9 next month) doesn't fit neatly into any one program. In reading he would place into either Bigger or Preparing. In writing Bigger looks spot on, and since he hasn't had any formal grammar, I don't see where he fits at all in that area. (I am using Primary Language Lessons with him, so he is getting plenty of mechanics and usage...just not formal grammar.) In math he is working in Singapore level 2.

Skill-wise Bigger may be better, but I just don't see placing him there even if I used the extension package. He would have to go straight from that into the four year cycle, or he would not have time to get through it before high school. That would rule out Preparing, and wouldn't it be a big jump to go from Bigger to Creation to Christ?

He completed Adventures in My Father's World (American history/geography) in second grade and is currently doing Exploring Countries and Cultures in third grade. The next logical step seems to be world history.

HOD looks like a great program, and it certainly appeals to me. The language arts just appears to be so integrated that I can't make it and the history work.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

netpea

Re: Placement question

Post by netpea » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:10 pm

It seems to me that if Preparing would meet your needs best, that you would be able to change the grammar to work for your son. Preparing lists R&S 3 or 4 for grammar. I just put my son in R&S 3 a few weeks ago. I believe the pace is gentle enough that your 9yo wouldn't have any trouble grasping R&S 3 even without a formal background. You can see samples of the R&S programs here: http://www.rodandstaff.info/samples/3/english/

Math is not that critical to placement, once you get past 2A/2B, there aren't any more hands on activities, so it wouldn't matter which guide you are working out of, you would just follow the schedule for 3A/3B. If your son is still in 2A/2B when you started Preparing, you could either buy Bigger for the math activities (if you have younger children coming along who will use it later) or simply skip the activities.

just my thoughts, hope there is something useful there.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:49 pm

HI TeacherMom! LeeAnn gave some good advice. :D It does sound to me like BHFHG may be the better fit, skillwise, but I can see that PHFHG fits your timewise goals of having ds finish the HOD guides by 8th. grade. The LA and Math are written in such a way that they are meant to be able to be modified as needed. I'd guess R & S 3 would be a good fit for your ds, but the link LeeAnn provided should help you with that decision. As far as the math, you can either get the Bigger guide for the 2A/2B hands-on activities, or you could get the Singapore 2A/2B Textbook for the teaching part. If your ds is still needing hands-on, Bigger is great for that! Otherwise, the textbook approach would be alright. I think if you just keep in mind that PHFHG may start out being a bit hard for him, and you have in mind to let him grow into it - it will be just great! :D Like when the PHFHG plans say 3-5 vocab. cards, have him do 3. For the written narrations, sit by his side and really help him through them, etc. You'll be able to see ways to make it lighter to begin with if need be. I fully agree with you that it would not be a good idea to skip from BHFHG to Creation to Christ, and I think you'd love PHFHG as much as we are loving it this year!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

TeacherMom

Post by TeacherMom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:32 pm

Thank you, Leanne and Julie, for your help. :)

I'm looking forward to being able to take a good look at Preparing at convention this May. I've been using MFW for the last three years, so the possibility of making a change to HOD is a bit daunting. There are some specific needs that I see in my son, however, that I think HOD may help me address, so this is certainly a decision that is a matter of prayer.

Thank you again!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:06 pm

TeacherMom,

I wanted to pop-in and mention that when placing your kiddos within HOD, you'll really want to use the placement chart for best placement (with all thoughts of where you'll end up in the history cycle aside). I know that is hard to do, but you'll have a much better fit for the long haul if you can do this. :wink: With that being said, I can't advise you for sure on whether Bigger or Preparing would be a better fit, without a bit more information. :D

If you'd be willing to share a few titles of books your child has read lately, or a bit more about how well he's reading that would really help! It will also make a big difference in placement as to how well your child is able to copy several sentences up to a paragraph at a time without any trouble. He'll also need to be able to sketch from a diagram or picture for science and copy from the text, along with filling out a simple lab sheet with question, guess, procedure and conclusion. So, any light you could shed on how he does with written work will really be of help to us in advising you better as well. :wink:

Last, I'm wondering whether you are desiring for him to read his history books and science books himself, or whether you're planning to do that with him. It will matter quite a bit as to how independent you wish him to be as to which program will be a better fit.

I'll look forward to hearing back from you when you get a chance. I know it can feel daunting to change programs, but the beauty of HOD is that choosing the program is the hardest part. The teaching is very straight-forward and open-and-go! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

TeacherMom

Post by TeacherMom » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi, Carrie!

Thank you so much for taking the time to chat with me about placement. :) At this point I don't have clear direction as to which way to proceed in the fall, so any light you can shed on HOD for me will be helpful.

Let me begin by saying that my son struggles with writing. He copies up to two sentences in one sitting (max). Copying an entire paragraph at once is out of the question. He would look at that as though it were an insurmountable task, and he would immediately be teary-eyed. He is becoming more comfortable with composing his own sentences on paper, but since he is a weak speller, his written sentences lack the flavor of his oral ones. He is highly perfectionistic and will not venture to spell a word that he is not sure about. (This is something that we have worked much on the last four or five months. His perfectionism is a real challenge to both of us.)

In the last few weeks he has read The Bears on Hemlock Mountain and The Littes, and he is currently reading Tippy Lemmey. Once that is completed he will read The Long Way to a New Land and The Long Way Westward. He is still doing most of his school reading aloud to me, and I do not consider him to be a completely independent reader yet, although he does do quite a bit of reading on his own. He enjoys reading and looks forward to reading to me. (I am still having him read aloud to me as he needs help decoding unfamiliar words...He tends to guess at them. He also needs the practice at reading with expression and according to punctuation.)

In English we are using Primary Language Lessons, and he has completed a little over half of the book. He does extremely well with the narrations, but I have to modify the writing quite a bit. He has no struggle with either the language or usage lessons.

At this point I am not looking to hand over his history and science to him to be done completely independently. I would like to step up his independent work next year, but I plan to ease into that. I do require him to spend fifteen to twenty minutes a day reading independently from a collection of books I have chosen that correlate with our history and science studies (MFW book basket). He enjoys that and often shares interesting tidbits that he has learned.

I'll be honest with you, Carrie, and say that I'm uneasy about the prospect of placing him in history according to his language arts skills. I understand that is a necessity with an all-inclusive program like HOD, but I would like to continue his progress forward both in history and in his language arts skills. If he completed Beyond next year and then Preparing after that, he would not, as you know, complete the history cycle before high school. Perhaps you could share with me your thoughts on this. (I know you said I needed to set aside placement in the history cycle when placing him in HOD.)

Once again I appreciate your time in corresponding with me about this. :)

Blessings!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:49 pm

TeacherMom,

Thanks so much for being kind enough to give me a fuller picture of your son. It really helps me to get a feel for the best placement for him overall. I think from what you've shared that he places squarely in Bigger Hearts for His Glory. :D

It sounds like he is gaining as a reader, writer, and a speller but that he also needs more time to continue gaining in those areas. I am sure, based on what you've shared, that Preparing Hearts would be too large of a jump in almost all areas. Bigger Hearts does a solid job of preparing kiddos in the skill areas needed for successful use of Preparing Hearts. It's very important that your child be placed correctly in order to enable him to grow steadily within the 3 R's, as well as helping him enjoy and apply the history knowledge that he's gaining too. 8) This would allow you steady progress forward in all areas.

While you may desire to place him in Preparing Hearts, you would have to down-size much of the written portion of the assignments and would then be in that same pattern of down-sizing assignments in the guides to follow. By placing your son in Bigger Hearts (whose target age range in 7-9, with extensions for ages 10-11), you would have a better fit and could truly expect him to complete all assignments within Bigger Hearts and truly understand the readings too. It would also give your son a chance to grow into the needed skills required in our upper guides. :wink:

Bigger Hearts will give your son a strong, biographical one-year overview of American history. It is a completely different program than MFW Adventures or than ECC, so there will be little to no rendundancy. The following year, you will really enjoy the meat of the assignments in Preparing Hearts and will be able to see much of your work within Bigger Hearts come to fruition. By doing this cycle, you may not have a chance to finish the last year of our guides, but I don't foresee that as a problem. If you choose, you could use our final guide as a 9th grade program with the addition of a geography course and a higher level of basic skills. We would be more than happy to tell you how to do that when you get to that point. :wink:

If you get a chance to pore over the Bigger Hearts guide, you'll understand how much more to the program there is beyond what you can see online. I pray that you'll have peace as you think through what will be best for your son along your homeschool journey. :D

If you have other questions, ask away. :)

Blessings,
Carrie

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:18 pm

My daughter will not be able to finish the cycle either. We are planning on using Carrie's suggestion:

If you choose, you could use our final guide as a 9th grade program with the addition of a geography course and a higher level of basic skills. We would be more than happy to tell you how to do that when you get to that point.

I thought that you might like to know that someone else would be in the same boat with you (smile).
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

TeacherMom

Post by TeacherMom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:42 am

Thank you again, Carrie, for taking the time to discuss placement with me. :)

I'm dealing with a season of sleep deprivation, so please bear with me if I don't share my thoughts as clearly as I should.

If I make the switch to HOD, it will be because I am looking for some hand holding in helping my son to grow in his language skills. I am a former middle and high school English teacher; unfortunately, my teaching knowledge/skills have not proven as useful as I would have liked in teaching my oldest. Both his dysgraphic and perfectionistic tendencies have been real challenges to me. His skills are increasing, but I find it difficult to determine how to progress them incrementally. (I hope I am making sense.)

I need to turn the spotlight to myself for a moment. MFW has worked well for me in several ways. I like the weekly lesson plan grid. It makes it easy for me to make adjustments as needed. I also really like the book basket concept. I believe it has encouraged my son to dig deeper into topics of his interest. It has helped provide the balance between teacher and student directed learning. It is an approach that I will continue.

On the flip side I have a hard time getting everything scheduled in a MFW's week done in a week. I have a three year old tornado living with me who keeps things constantly hopping. I can't judge if HOD seems about the same workload level as MFW or not.

I can also tell you that I struggle a lot with the feeling of being behind with my oldest. I started off as a SLer, and in my ideal world, I would love to own and read almost every SL title. SL promotes in me, however, a feeling of failure. I cannot possibly keep up with the reading schedule since I would no doubt add in hands-on and notebooking. I haven't entirely gotten away from those negative feelings even after making the switch to MFW. I have a perpetual feeling of BEHIND with my oldest.

I see that as being a real problem for me if I go with Bigger. It will bug me terribly that my son won't finish the history cycle. I'll lose sleep over it and do a lot of scheming on how to make up time. It won't be pretty.

I've really come to the point where I realize that this constant sense of uneasiness I have is something that just cannot continue. Hsing is not a peaceful job for me. I feel harried and drained.

Anyway, just thought I would share these thoughts. Sometimes it helps just to be a bit introspective.

Blessings!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:36 am

TeacherMom -
Thanks for sharing your heart here! I can see where you are coming from. I deeply want for you to find contentment and joy in homeschooling. It is a gift you deserve. Sleep deprivation makes anyone feel harried and drained - I can go back in my mind to periods in my life when that described me exactly. Those stages are difficult, but they hopefully pass in and out of our life. I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to pray about this first before posting, just to get clarity and guidance. Then, I'll post again - not that what I say will be exactly right or anything - but just that I will feel like I sought God's advice first. Thinking of you today!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

TeacherMom

Post by TeacherMom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:43 pm

my3sons wrote:TeacherMom -
Thanks for sharing your heart here! I can see where you are coming from. I deeply want for you to find contentment and joy in homeschooling. It is a gift you deserve. Sleep deprivation makes anyone feel harried and drained - I can go back in my mind to periods in my life when that described me exactly. Those stages are difficult, but they hopefully pass in and out of our life. I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to pray about this first before posting, just to get clarity and guidance. Then, I'll post again - not that what I say will be exactly right or anything - but just that I will feel like I sought God's advice first. Thinking of you today!

In Christ,
Thank you, Julie. That means a lot to me. :)

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi TeacherMom!

I homeschool an 8 y/o dgs, who has a few of the same issues as you have described. He most likely is a special needs child, and could be placed on medication if we pursue that direction for him. In the meantime though, we are using natural supplements with some success. Some days the perfectionism, frustration, grunting and other goofy noises and other verbalizations are worse than others. For example, as I write this he is jumping up and down singing the "Lone Ranger" song, asking me if I know how to do the same...sigh...

A bit of our history for you......We started in Beyond at the end of last January. We're still working in it today, as I tried to go forward with Bigger with him and realized that it would not work just yet. We're having fun with our lessons, and I'm doing a bit of "beefing up" to help bring him up to where he should be in order to start in Bigger Hearts and have success. We are doing a writing activity once a week, some dictionary skills, starting Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons, and adding in some extra math activities. I'm hoping to try Bigger Hearts again in July at which point I think he should be more than able to do the work required. He will turn 9 before the start of school in the fall, and I realize that just based on the years ahead, we'll most likely not finish the history rotation. I've had sleepless nights myself, have gone over to Ambleside for a few months hoping to do something different, then remembered where I was led in the first place. The Lord led me to HOD, and He reminded me of it again just last night. I've prayed fervently for direction, as I too suffer from the frustrations of feeling "behind". Then these words came to me..."Let go, and let God." That was my answer! I need to give it all over to Him. He's in control, not me, not silly grade levels, not future plans, just Him! I have finally found peace in all this, and I know I'll have to watch myself, but I know that as long as I lean on Him it will all work out.

Now I know this doesn't answer your question or worry about getting to that last level of HOD on time, but as for me, I'm just trusting in Him to help us along the way, knowing we'll eventually arrive when it's time. We are only promised today, tomorrow is not something to fret about. Matthew 6:34 "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." (NKJV)

I hope some of this may help you. If you can, pray and find some peace. That's the starting point. Then go from there, listen to Carrie (she really does know what she's talking about!), and ease into the days ahead. If you have to go at half-speed, do so. I have both the Bigger Hearts and Preparing Hearts manuals, and believe me, Preparing is quite a step off the dock if you can't really swim well yet-KWIM? I'd love to start that program soon, but in the meantime, we're going to work on our strokes, keep swimming, and then when it comes time to make that big jump, we'll be ready. I know because God will be with us and guide us there.

Blessings to you, and prayers for a peaceful and restful weekend. If the weather is nice there, go out this weekend and enjoy some sunshine, kick a ball around, bake cookies, ride bikes, have fun, pray...it will all work out.
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:55 pm

I just thought of one more thing...

I know the feeling of frustration and discouragement myself. Those are hard feelings to teach with. I know just know how difficult that can be, and I have chosen not to let those feelings take over my life and my day. God wants better for us, His children. Truly, He will give you direction if you just let Him. Pray for peace, then make your home a peaceful place. Most of us here have all had those terrible feelings you've talked about, and that's what this board is for--to help those working through the same things and give encouragement for others using this wonderful program.

You can never be "behind" as long as you're giving your child love, Christ-centered direction, and the best you can offer him in his education. HOD is all of those things rolled into one! Relax and enjoy what Carrie has worked so hard to put together for us. It's truly a blessing, and I hope once you figure out what you want to do, you will find that enjoyment you're missing and have happy days. Carrie has taken the worry and stress out of it all for us.
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:12 pm

Teachermom- I have been praying for you and thinking of you since my last post. I still feel in my heart that Bigger Hearts is the right way to go for your ds - but that is a decision best made by you because you know best for your ds. You can completely disregard my opinions here, but I will share the thoughts I've had. I know how it feels to be thinking your dc may be behind. All of my dc were quite premature - 2 very premature. I constantly felt that they were behind in many things, and they were according to doctors. I became very preoccupied about each of these things - spending lots of time, trying to work on those skills with them - many tears and frustrations. God taught me that they will grow in skills in His time, not mine. I can do what I can to help, but I can't fast forward the process. He also taught me to take joy when the skill does come - because it does over time.

It might be good to explore why you think he's "behind". We all have different concepts of what that may look like. According to the age ranges for HOD guides, he wouldn't be. I agree he needs to improve the amount of writing that he is doing, but I don't think he sounds incredibly behind in that area. I just want to encourage you with that - I taught 3rd and 4th grade previously, and there was always a third or more of the class (mostly boys) that fit the description you're giving. It seemed by the end of 4th. grade - beginning of 5th. they seemed to come into their own more with writing, and be able to handle more of it. You have an obvious talent for English/writing, which makes it hard sometimes to understand why it's not going that way for ds. I have had it with grammar and math - 2 of my favorite subjects. It is hard for me to understand when they just don't seem to get it, and I get frustrated more easily in those areas with them.

If it is the history cycle not being finished, that is easily fixed, either by skipping it, by doing 9th. grade with the end cycle, by doing an extra year of homeschooling (something we're considering anyway), or by assigning free reading books and audio books that cover the last time period. He will get it again in high school anyway, so that time period will be covered one way or another.

I think if you can look at this as a working on skills year - a year to get him ready to be more independent in skills - then it will go well. Just putting him in a higher level program but then working to make it much easier won't really meet his needs. You are wise to identify this as a hand-holding year, I felt that way with Bigger too - and then the next year will be a year for him to fly! He will have strengthened the skills you want him to, and he'll be ready for what PHFHG asks him to do. He'll feel good about it because he'll be able to do what it asks him to do independently on his own.

I have a niece that was always put a year ahead of where she should have been placed homeschooling, and she STILL feels she is behind. It is sad that she thinks that because the work was always hard for her - she's actually not behind. Children think differently than we do - they aren't thinking of history cycles, etc. - they are thinking of the day to day; and if every day seems hard, and every day seems to have to be made easier for them, that's when they think they are behind.

Please do not feel guilty about not doing Sonlight. Both of my sisters had to stop doing Sonlight too - for exactly the reasons you are describing (and a few more). Equal weight needs to be given to providing free time, time to explore talents and interests, and time just to be a kid. By saying no to Sonlight, you are saying yes to those extremely important things as well. You can continue the book basket idea with HOD. We have an "Independent Reading Shelf" that functions just like a book basket. I stock it with what I want them to read (considering their interests as well), and they can choose to read from it whatever they want. This has been fun. I've used HOD's Bookshop books and Sonlight's book ideas too; I've also put audio books on the shelf, as well as any books I've found that fit our dc's personal preferences. So saying yes to HOD won't mean saying no to the book basket.

I think you'd find HOD requires less time. Simply having everything you need in your home - the books, the science materials, the history activity resources, the hands-on items - will cut down on time. There is no need to plan or prep for HOD. Just read the introduction of the guide and have those things in place before you begin. There is little flipping around in the guide. Here's the big timesaver in my mind - each box is balanced and designed to take the SAME AMOUNT OF TIME EACH DAY!!! Carrie has thought of that when planning. Even the history projects are planned out this way. You will never come across something like: "Today use boxes of all different sizes to build a realistic castle, complete with a moat and drawbridge. Paint your castle and re-enact the story you read today." (as I came across this in another curriculum's plans I used, that I won't mention the name of - and the last 2 weeks, that part of those plans had taken 15 minutes - so that's what I'd planned for it). HOD has balance. Each day takes about the same time. Each day has about the same balance of workload.

I know you'd love HOD. I think you should give it a try. You deserve to have a year of having your cup filled rather than depleted. Your ds deserves that too. I want you to LOVE homeschooling, and I know HOD can do that for you and your ds. Let me say that you will not hurt my feelings whatsoever if you choose to throw all of this out the window and go with PHFHG - I've prayed about it, and I know you will know what to do. God will reveal that to you one way or another - keep praying, and I will too. And if more thoughts come - don't hesitate to share. We all want the best for each other here. :)

In Christ,
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

TeacherMom

Post by TeacherMom » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:48 pm

my3sons wrote:Teachermom- I have been praying for you and thinking of you since my last post. I still feel in my heart that Bigger Hearts is the right way to go for your ds - but that is a decision best made by you because you know best for your ds. You can completely disregard my opinions here, but I will share the thoughts I've had. I know how it feels to be thinking your dc may be behind. All of my dc were quite premature - 2 very premature. I constantly felt that they were behind in many things, and they were according to doctors. I became very preoccupied about each of these things - spending lots of time, trying to work on those skills with them - many tears and frustrations. God taught me that they will grow in skills in His time, not mine. I can do what I can to help, but I can't fast forward the process. He also taught me to take joy when the skill does come - because it does over time.

It might be good to explore why you think he's "behind". We all have different concepts of what that may look like. According to the age ranges for HOD guides, he wouldn't be. I agree he needs to improve the amount of writing that he is doing, but I don't think he sounds incredibly behind in that area. I just want to encourage you with that - I taught 3rd and 4th grade previously, and there was always a third or more of the class (mostly boys) that fit the description you're giving. It seemed by the end of 4th. grade - beginning of 5th. they seemed to come into their own more with writing, and be able to handle more of it. You have an obvious talent for English/writing, which makes it hard sometimes to understand why it's not going that way for ds. I have had it with grammar and math - 2 of my favorite subjects. It is hard for me to understand when they just don't seem to get it, and I get frustrated more easily in those areas with them.

If it is the history cycle not being finished, that is easily fixed, either by skipping it, by doing 9th. grade with the end cycle, by doing an extra year of homeschooling (something we're considering anyway), or by assigning free reading books and audio books that cover the last time period. He will get it again in high school anyway, so that time period will be covered one way or another.

I think if you can look at this as a working on skills year - a year to get him ready to be more independent in skills - then it will go well. Just putting him in a higher level program but then working to make it much easier won't really meet his needs. You are wise to identify this as a hand-holding year, I felt that way with Bigger too - and then the next year will be a year for him to fly! He will have strengthened the skills you want him to, and he'll be ready for what PHFHG asks him to do. He'll feel good about it because he'll be able to do what it asks him to do independently on his own.

I have a niece that was always put a year ahead of where she should have been placed homeschooling, and she STILL feels she is behind. It is sad that she thinks that because the work was always hard for her - she's actually not behind. Children think differently than we do - they aren't thinking of history cycles, etc. - they are thinking of the day to day; and if every day seems hard, and every day seems to have to be made easier for them, that's when they think they are behind.

Please do not feel guilty about not doing Sonlight. Both of my sisters had to stop doing Sonlight too - for exactly the reasons you are describing (and a few more). Equal weight needs to be given to providing free time, time to explore talents and interests, and time just to be a kid. By saying no to Sonlight, you are saying yes to those extremely important things as well. You can continue the book basket idea with HOD. We have an "Independent Reading Shelf" that functions just like a book basket. I stock it with what I want them to read (considering their interests as well), and they can choose to read from it whatever they want. This has been fun. I've used HOD's Bookshop books and Sonlight's book ideas too; I've also put audio books on the shelf, as well as any books I've found that fit our dc's personal preferences. So saying yes to HOD won't mean saying no to the book basket.

I think you'd find HOD requires less time. Simply having everything you need in your home - the books, the science materials, the history activity resources, the hands-on items - will cut down on time. There is no need to plan or prep for HOD. Just read the introduction of the guide and have those things in place before you begin. There is little flipping around in the guide. Here's the big timesaver in my mind - each box is balanced and designed to take the SAME AMOUNT OF TIME EACH DAY!!! Carrie has thought of that when planning. Even the history projects are planned out this way. You will never come across something like: "Today use boxes of all different sizes to build a realistic castle, complete with a moat and drawbridge. Paint your castle and re-enact the story you read today." (as I came across this in another curriculum's plans I used, that I won't mention the name of - and the last 2 weeks, that part of those plans had taken 15 minutes - so that's what I'd planned for it). HOD has balance. Each day takes about the same time. Each day has about the same balance of workload.

I know you'd love HOD. I think you should give it a try. You deserve to have a year of having your cup filled rather than depleted. Your ds deserves that too. I want you to LOVE homeschooling, and I know HOD can do that for you and your ds. Let me say that you will not hurt my feelings whatsoever if you choose to throw all of this out the window and go with PHFHG - I've prayed about it, and I know you will know what to do. God will reveal that to you one way or another - keep praying, and I will too. And if more thoughts come - don't hesitate to share. We all want the best for each other here. :)

In Christ,
Oh my, Julie, I can't reply in full right now because, well, I'm just having a little emotional moment. :) Your words have definitely impacted me.

I've much to share about what my thoughts have been since I last posted. When I am able to take the time I need, I'll be back.

Tammy