Free Reading

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deltagal

Free Reading

Post by deltagal » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:18 am

Hi there,

We are having a great experience with HOD. So many good things are happening and I'm already seeing real progress in all 4 of my children. :D However, here's my latest conundrum. I would love to find out what you do. Between read alouds, independent reading and DITHOR all the wonderful books are scheduled. I would like my children to read some wonderful books on their own and at their own pace that are not scheduled, but I like a booklist to "work" so I can keep track of how much reading they are doing, to encourage them at their level and to verify that the content is good. What do you do? Where do you get your list? I need easy ideas.... :wink:
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

lmercon

Re: Free Reading

Post by lmercon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:30 am

If you would like a recommended book list, Carrie provides one for a nominal fee. You will find them on this site within the packages for the programs starting with Bigger, I believe. Just go to the program you are using. Click on the "package" and scroll down to the book sets. You will find a book list that you can purchase. I intend on ordering that when I am get to those programs. It's nice to know that someone has already assembled a great list of books that will meet my expectations for good literature for my kids. I've also heard of a booklet called,"Honey for a Child's Heart." I don't own it yet, but I've heard really positive things about it. You could google it.
hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:12 am

I have the book "Honey for a Child's Heart" by Gladys Hunt and it is really good. It is divided into sections for first books (ages 0-3), picture books (ages 4-8), first books for beginning readers, classic children's novels (ages 9-12), intermediate readers (ages 9-12), stories for animal lovers (ages 9-12), historical novels (ages 9-12), fantasy novels (ages 9-12), and young adult novels (ages 12-14). It also has one chapter each for poetry, spiritual life, and special occasions.

I also have another book "The Book Tree" by Elizabeth McCallum & Jane Scott which is a great tool as well. It is divided up as follows: Preschool Literature, Elementary School Fiction, Middle School Fiction, Elementary & Middle School Biography, High School Fiction, and High School Biography.

I use both books when I go to the library. I actually made a computer list that incorporates both books and check them off as we go.

Hope this helps!!

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:21 am

I use the book list from Carrie as well. Its been great. I also did not use DITHOR every month, I ran it every other month, thus giving my DD1 relaxed reading time.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:50 pm

I just have my son reading a series about a dyslexic boy. It's very clean no bad morals, no bad words... written by Harry Winkler (FONZIE! LOL) Perfect for my dyslexic son-- helps him feel like someone else is where he is. We're on book 5 so far. When we finish that series (Hank Zipzer), I'll find another series.

I try to find books that have no education value, but are fun and clean. Not trying to start any debate, just want him to have a mental break with something fun.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:33 pm

Besides what has been listed here is another book that is good for lists of things to read, Books That Build Character: A Guide to Teaching Your Child Moral Values Through Stories. You might be able to find it at the library to see if it it's something you want to have on hand. My kids also read hisotry books and Bible Story books I have out. And believe it or not my kids read textbooks for fun. Mostly R&S type things or science. Rod and Staff also has some great story books for fun time reading. Sounds like you have some great ideas so far. Hopefully this will help. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:13 pm

Lots of good thoughts here. Thanks everyone. It just occurred to me today, to use the books listed for Storytime in our guides, since there are more books listed than one needs for that exercise. :wink:
With Joy!
Florence

Began HOD 1/2009

dale1088

Post by dale1088 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:51 pm

deltagal wrote:Lots of good thoughts here. Thanks everyone. It just occurred to me today, to use the books listed for Storytime in our guides, since there are more books listed than one needs for that exercise. :wink:
I was going to suggest that too. I have the booklist (I think it was only $5 and came with my DITHOR package) but I don't buy the book sets because I use the library and other sources for used books to save money. But now so many titles are becoming so familiar that I'm quick to spot them at the library too. I also use http://www.SimplyCharlotteMason.com and http://www.amblesideonline.com to find reading material.

I actually have kind of a stack of really good books and no end of them at the library that I wish we had more time for, but we are having so much fun with DITHOR and the storytime section that it's okay. I let my DD pick from a list of 3 or 4 for the genre and she feels like it's her decision anyways.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:08 pm

Florence,

I'll copy a post below I made awhile back that is on this same topic: :D

I am a book lover by heart too, and I just wanted to say that at HOD we strive for fewer books of higher quality done better over time, which is very Charlotte-Mason style.

But, I do still love having my kiddos have free reading books of high quality too. So, to address this need of mine, we keep a laundry basket under each kiddos bed and at the beginning of the year, I make a list of free reading books that I put in their basket. They must read those books before summer, however, they can read them when they choose and as fast as they'd like when they have free time. This way, I still feel like I have a place to go with my "book finds" but it doesn't add on to our precious school day time. I also get some harder, more classic books on audio (to put in the basket) and have my kiddos read and follow along with the audio.

Before the laundry basket idea, my kiddos each had a shelf downstairs that functioned the same way. However, they could only "check out" one book at a time from their shelf and then had to return it prior to checking out another book.

It made a huge difference in how the kiddos viewed those books. The books became special.

Anyway, just a thought!

Blessings,
Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Carrie wrote: But, I do still love having my kiddos have free reading books of high quality too. So, to address this need of mine, we keep a laundry basket under each kiddos bed and at the beginning of the year, I make a list of free reading books that I put in their basket. They must read those books before summer, however, they can read them when they choose and as fast as they'd like when they have free time. This way, I still feel like I have a place to go with my "book finds" but it doesn't add on to our precious school day time. I also get some harder, more classic books on audio (to put in the basket) and have my kiddos read and follow along with the audio.
Carrie,

What a GREAT idea. How many books do you toss in the basket? It sounds like you purchase these books. And then....what do you do or do they do once they've read the books? Do they go on a shelf or in a crate in the attic or ....?
With Joy!
Florence

Began HOD 1/2009

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Florence,

My kiddos aren't required to do anything additional with their basket books except to read them sometime before summer. :wink: Often I'll place any books (from the guide the kiddos are using) that we wouldn't otherwise get to read in the basket. For example, if we're reading the Boy Interest Set, I may put the Classic Books and the Girl Interest ones in their basket. I do use some of the books within our programs as extras of books on tape for the whole crew to listen to at lunch instead. :D

I also scour other good book lists, many of which the ladies have already listed! Way to go with the great book list suggestions, ladies, those are MY favorites too. :wink:

I try to keep the list, including audios for the basket, to around 20-25 book titles. I do put all of the actual books in the basket (or on the shelf) and keep my own copy of the list in case one gets lost. After the child is done reading them for the year, I do box them up in a lidded tub and put them in storage for the next kiddo. However, I'm finding each kiddo is different, so the books I list for my oldest to read may be quite different from the ones I will have my next one read next time around. :wink: I pull out the books for that year from storage as my next one gets old enough, and then make changes or substitutions as I see fit. It's definitely a work in progress each year. But, of course, I love looking through great books. It gives me a place to put all my new (or old) finds. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:30 pm

Here's a link to another book list that I have on my favorites that takes you right through high school.

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/ ... imary.html

Carrie I love the book basket under the bed!!! Guess who's is getting something under their bed tonight!! :D
Wife to Jesse,
Mom to Michelle, Dawn, Rose, Marie
DD14 Rev to Rev, MTMM in the Fall
Enjoyed Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, and World Geo.