Emerging Reader not happy....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Evergreen Mama

Emerging Reader not happy....

Post by Evergreen Mama » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:26 pm

My son is complaining about all the books! :? He isn't naturally a negative kiddo but I am noticing a pattern in him. He enjoyed the toad books and I had him read Morris the Moose and Harold and the Purple Crayon which he loved. But Wagon Wheels, Buffalo Bill, Amelia Bedilia... he read but didn't like when it was over. He isn't overly complaining but when I ask him "What is your favorite thing?" he says none of it. I didn't really like it. Erg.

Storytime Books... I haven't found one yet that really grabs him. No, he liked Squanto quite a bit. The Lion that Guards Us I actually didn't even finish. Both he and his sister were disturbed by the Mom dying and cook being so mean.

I try to get them to keep on with the story and see what we can learn from it but they fight me not ask for more.

Are my expectations off? We have tried different times of the day to read and follow the notes in BLHFHG for storytime "activities". I try to bring it up when not reading to see if they "care" but they are neither here nor there.

I don't know exactly what I am hoping to receive from sharing this struggle. But any thoughts or helpful hints etc. would be greatly appreciated! :D

I love literature sooo much and I want them to love it too so I think I am getting a little fearful of them not liking it and wondering if it is just their "bend" or I haven't hit the right avenue of books for their liking.

Concerned....
Davena
Wife to Garrett, Mom to four kiddos

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Emerging Reader not happy....

Post by Carrie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:56 pm

Davena,

From what you're sharing I'm wondering if the Emerging Reader books are too difficult for your little guy? Harold the Purple Crayon and Morris the Moose are much easier books than Wagon Wheels and Buffalo Bill. There is a gradual move during the Emerging Reader set to more difficult books, and right around Wagon Wheels, Amelia Bedelia, and Buffalo Bill is where it jumps up a bit. I would set aside the Emerging Reader Set for awhile and see if you could use more Frog and Toad or Level 2 type books for a month or two. If you have access to a good library or a local bookstore, you could stay around that reading level to give your little guy time to mature as a reader. Sometimes kiddos hit an incline in reading level that feels too steep for a bit and they shut down. :wink:

As far as the reading aloud goes, if your kiddos aren't enjoying the storytime books, it is most likely due to the fact that they're not quite ready for that type of longer read-aloud without pictures yet. If you haven't had a chance to read-aloud the Storytime set from LHFHG yet, I'd encourage you to do that instead. It is a great transition to listening to more difficult read-alouds. You could just read a chapter a day until you're through that set. Be mindful that you won't have the plans in LHFHG to go along with it, so you'll want to do some guided talking about the books on your own. The characters in the Burgess books behave very much as children do, and learn from their consequences just as children do. They're certainly not perfect characters, but they do a great deal of learning from their mistakes. :D While your kiddos probably will need to grow into listening to the Burgess books in the Storytime set too, it will be less of a leap than the books scheduled in Beyond. Plan on giving the Burgess books 12 weeks to grow on your kiddos too, but you will see the fruit of your labors! Just be very excited and upbeat about it yourself, so your kiddos can take their cues from you. :wink: Also, make sure to keep on perservering to the end of the book, or kiddos begin to think they can get out of finishing if they act disinterested enough. Kiddos are so perceptive on how to get out of "work"!

Listening to harder read-alouds is a skill that takes some time to develop. It is actually hard work, and isn't beloved by all children when learning to do it. Eventually, as the skill becomes easier, kiddos enjoy the listening to books read aloud more. I'll just encourage you that it takes time for kiddos to develop the skill, so don't expect your little ones to beg for more right away. I'll also mention that when asked most young kiddos won't want to continue reading. They'd much rather play than do something they perceive as work. :wink:

Hang in there! It will come. It is a skill to be learned just like reading or math. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:17 pm

I think it's a great idea to take a break and read the Burgess books from LHFHG! Those books do an excellent job of preparing dc to listen in shorter segments, and because they have the same set of characters, they also do a good job of building interest. (Plus, both of my ds's just loved them - and I bet your ds would too. :D ) The books in the Storytime set of BLHFHG are super, but why not just put them on hold and do the LHFHG ones first instead? They are inexpensive too. Plus, if your dc are enjoying reading Frog and Toad, they'll more than likely also enjoy hearing you read about the Burgess animal characters in LHFHG.

As far as the Emerging Readers, I think if your ds is enjoying reading Frog and Toad, why not read more of those? Again, a good idea to take a break until they grow into the next emerging readers books. I think the nonfiction genres and historical fiction genres can take a more mature reader to get into, and the first few books you mentioned fall into those genres. Even Amelia Bedelia, though it falls in the humor genre, takes a more mature reader that is really able to "think" about what he is reading to understand why the book is funny.

I too keep reading the books we start because sometimes it just takes a bit to really get into them. I remember King of the Wind took awhile for my dc to get into, but they both say it is one of their all-time favorite read-alouds now! So, don't be discouraged - just take a break and come back to it after awhile - they'll pick up on your excitement and want to dig in more then - I'm sure! You are a book lover, and they will be too. Great books are great books - so they'll do the trick after your dc "grow" into them a bit more! :) :) :)

In Christ,
Julie :D
Last edited by my3sons on Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi Davena. I just wanted to say that when I read your story it sounds a lot like when I pulled my kids out of public school. I thought we were never going to get to a point where I could read to them and have them enjoy it much less have them read and enjoy it. I had two kids that absolutely hated being read to and worse to have to read it on their own. I think Carrie really hit something there with the level. I also am thinking about my dd who is older but reading delayed. She tends to not like things when it stresses her or challenges her to the point where she worries about failing. Not saying that is the same thing but just saying that Carries suggestion that you may be going faster than your lovie is ready kind of hit me too.

Just want to fast forward it for you. I now have children that love to read and love to be read to including the ones that hated reading and the one that struggles loves reading even though it is a struggle. I had a neighbor girl come and visit our house during school to see what HOD was like because they are considering it. The mom was not there but one of the things she asked was how did I get the kids to listen and not talk over each other during story time and actually enjoy the process. I guess it made an impression on the little girl and she reported back to mom. And she asked if the way HOD has you teach them helps them to learn those skills. I really think it does even though I might not have realized it if I had not been asked directly. I do think that is a learned thing and does not necessarily come naturally to listen and enjoy learning and enjoy the process. :) HOD really has brought that to life for us in our homeschool. In thinking back we really had to ease into it even though I tended to expect a lot out of school with my kids this process of learning how to listen and enjoy being read to and narrating back took some time. I had to do smaller chunks and talk about what was read and even sometimes build up the excitement of waiting to see what comes next. In the beginning I wondered if we would ever get to a point where it would come naturally for us. Now that time has passed there is nothing more natural for us. I don't even have to think about it anymore, it just happens. I think it was the taking it slow in the beginning and expecting that it would be a learned skill even letting them know that it would take time for them to enjoy it if need be was a big part of it. Also having them read aloud to me helped me to see if I was pushing them beyond their level or just allowing a bit of a challenge that did not push so far that they would not be able to also enjoy the story element of it. When you have them read a portion of it aloud you can really get a feel for that.

At any rate not sure how much of this really applies to you or not. But I do just want to encourage you to hang in there. The pay off is really big. I have kids that love to learn and can't wait to do school. And let me tell you the world would stop turning for them if we did not use HOD. I think you will get there too, sometimes it takes a little working of the soil to get the fertile ground but once you get there it is so worth it because it is something that really lasts. :D

Praying that there is something here to encourage you and that you find the perfect balance and peace in your hsing of your child. Do hang in there, it will come and it is so worth it! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:41 pm

I just wanted to relate my story. The reason my 6 and 8 year are using Beyond this year is mainly due to the six year old. He would glaze over during read aloud time and really did not enjoy being read to. These two boys were a high priority on my schooling list for this year, so I picked Beyond thinking I needed to target these two boys as they had always trailed along with olders. It worked. It is a process. The six year old loves school and reading now. Everything had just always been so far above him that he just zoned out. He has already finished MUS Alpha (1st grade math) and is nearly finished with Singapore. I have never had a child finish a year's work this early. He loves school now and doesn't even need much instruction. It has been such a delightful change. My youngers enjoy school now so much more than my olders did at the same age. I am learning as I go.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:23 pm

Davena,

I probably should have clarified that the Storytime set of books from LHFHG are only $17.50 for all 8 books, so very inexpensive for a year's worth of reading. Here's the link: http://www.heartofdakota.com/story-time-set.php

I also wanted to mention that if you don't have access to a good library (or don't have time to search out other level 2 books), one other option for reading practice would be to get your son the other Bible from the Emerging Reader's Set and just have him go through that according to the schedule in the Appendix. So, if you already did the Early Reader's Bible with him, get the Beginner's Bible and have him follow the first 9 weeks of the Emerging Reader's Schedule using that Bible. That will give him time to mature and practice at an appropriate reading level. Here's that link: http://www.heartofdakota.com/emerging-reader.php

Just a few more things to think about. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Evergreen Mama

Post by Evergreen Mama » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:56 pm

Ladies...

I don't know if it is late and I am emotional but thank you soooo much for all your words and suggestions. I feel so embraced as a HSing Mom like I haven't ever felt before. I guess it is because we are all running the same race.

None the less. I needed every one of your words and I actually DID read the LHFHG storytime books up to Grandfather Frog. You are soooo right. They dug it. Pictures were the highlight/anticipation to get too. Oh, this journey seems so confusing at times but I feel like many clouds have been cleared away in my mind and the clarity of what is right for OUR family is in view and obtainable. Thanks for the encouragement as well for the future and remembering to keep on keeping on. :D

I feel so silly cuz I just want to scream I Love you guys! :lol:

I am left with one questions left.... do I finish Trumpet of the Swan? I see the pattern I have started with the not finishing books. :oops: I should also admit that I started the illustrated classic of Oliver Twist mainly b/c it had a pic. on every page. Ok.... much too much story lines and depressing. Needless to say we didn't finish that one, and I am scared spitless to not follow Carrie's suggestions. (Thanks Carrie! :wink: and I like the reading the other Bible option for him too...)

So... we started Trumpet of the Swan about a week ago. Do we finish?

Relieved and Excited~
You guys ROCK!
D
Davena

Patience

Post by Patience » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:43 am

It's fine to let it go. They'll be plenty of time to teach "finish what you start" in the future. Homeschooling has alot of trial and error in it. Just snuggle up with your little guy and enjoy reading together! God's grace to you!
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:17 am

About Trumpet of the Swan, you might say something like "Let's put this book on hold for a little while, and read some more about Reddy Fox's friends (that's what we call those books in our house, but just whatever you call them :D ) and we'll come back to it after we have had a break" and then really go back to it! They'll have had time to mature and then you can still finish the book, showing them that you (albeit eventually) finish what you start. But I think the advice you've been given has been great advice. I'll have to keep the advice about the emerging readers in the back of my mind as something to watch out for.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Evergreen Mama

Post by Evergreen Mama » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:22 am

I like the wording of putting it on hold until later. We totally call them Reddy Fox's friends too! That is too funny! :D

God's Grace to all of you who read this this morning as you live your day for Him with your kiddos by your side~
D
Davena

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:48 pm

Davena,

Here's a big hug going your way today! :D I'm so glad that we were able to encourage you as we talked through options and sorted through what will be the best fit. We are blessed to have one another on this board and to have the privilege of uplifting one another! 8)

Have a blessed day! :D
Carrie

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:50 am

I just wanted to add that we are reading Understood Betsy right now, and my little guy loves it! We started out very slowly, just reading about 3 pages or so. The first chapter was a little hard to get "into", but soon the story picks up and it's just great! The wording in the book and vocabulary are challenging, and I often explain words, or we just look them up on the spot. Last night he was begging for one more chapter, but I left it as we finished, and told him to wait until tomorrow to find out what happened.

A book we really enjoyed last year was My Father's Dragon. It's an adventure/fantasy story, and it really draws you into it. That might be a good starter book, then you could move onto others from there. Just a thought...
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

Jacey'sMom

Post by Jacey'sMom » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:06 pm

Just wanted to say I completely relate. I have a just turned 5 year old who I taught to read using the 100 Easy Lessons book last summer. It comes with a 20 book list so we followed that instead of doing the phonics in LHFHG. Each week she would read aloud 2 books. It began well (Dr. Seuss), but the books progressed in difficulty so rapidly toward the end that books 18-20 had 200+ pages and little to no pictures. She HATED reading aloud to me by book 17 so I set the list aside and just let her choose her own books for awhile from the library. I even let her play starfall.com reading games instead of doing read alouds for a week just to give us both a break. I think we were both a little stressed out by the other list.

Then I took the BLHFHG list and we've been working through those. It is a step back from what she was reading, but she LOVES it and I think that is the main thing. Letting them progress at a pace that is appropriate for them seems to be key. She has soo much more confidence now and chooses to do reading first before math, handwriting, etc. I plan to have her read through the BLHFHG list but I'm trying to take my cues from her. We read the Burgess books to her too and she loves those.

Glad you found some good answers here. I have really learned so much from the ladies on this board.

Jodi
Mom to Jacey (5) and Ethan (2)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:38 pm

Vicki wrote:I just wanted to add that we are reading Understood Betsy right now, and my little guy loves it! We started out very slowly, just reading about 3 pages or so. The first chapter was a little hard to get "into", but soon the story picks up and it's just great! The wording in the book and vocabulary are challenging, and I often explain words, or we just look them up on the spot. Last night he was begging for one more chapter, but I left it as we finished, and told him to wait until tomorrow to find out what happened.

A book we really enjoyed last year was My Father's Dragon. It's an adventure/fantasy story, and it really draws you into it. That might be a good starter book, then you could move onto others from there. Just a thought...
We loved these books too, Vicki! There are 2 more books in the My Father's Dragon series - Elmer and the Dragon, and Dragons of Blueland. Those were awesome too! B & N even has them on audio for a reasonable price, and that was fun too. Thanks for sharing your experience with reading!

In Christ,
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Jacey'sMom wrote:Just wanted to say I completely relate... I think we were both a little stressed out by the other list.

Then I took the BLHFHG list and we've been working through those. It is a step back from what she was reading, but she LOVES it and I think that is the main thing. Letting them progress at a pace that is appropriate for them seems to be key. She has soo much more confidence now and chooses to do reading first before math, handwriting, etc. I plan to have her read through the BLHFHG list but I'm trying to take my cues from her. We read the Burgess books to her too and she loves those.

Glad you found some good answers here. I have really learned so much from the ladies on this board.

Jodi
Mom to Jacey (5) and Ethan (2)
Jodi - I just had to say you are so wise to take cues from your dd like this! I do think it is important to keep dc's love of reading alive. We're doing the Emerging Reader's Set now as well. Thanks for telling about your journey with reading!

In Christ,
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie