Great first day with Bigger!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Vicki

Great first day with Bigger!

Post by Vicki » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:24 pm

We started Bigger Hearts... today, and we've had the best time! We're only going at half speed, so we only did the left side of day one, but so far it looks like it's going to be a winner. We will do math every day, even though we're going half speed. I plan to also cover spelling words and dictation each week. Going at half speed right now will allow us time to get both of those things done, and I'm very happy about that!

We did add in a coloring page of the map of Italy, and marked where Genoa was, then labeled the Mediterranean Sea. I also found a make-your-own printable quadrant that we'll put together tonight. If the rain would ever stop, we'll put it to use! (Hmmm, I wonder how Columbus managed during one of these downpours with navigation.... :wink: ) The character trait cards I made turned out great, and it was so nice having them already made to work with. I glued handwriting paper to the back of the cards underneath the scripture verse in order for my guy to write the definition of the trait we are studying.

We really enjoyed the background story for our hymn, "Holy, Holy, Holy", and of course, Mr. Longfellow's name was recognizable from our poetry study from BLHFHG. He was excited (and so was I) about seeing a familiar name when we did copywork of our poem of the week. Going at half speed will also allow us to do a little research into the poets whose work we study each unit, and probably have plenty of time for our composer and art study during the week. We plan to join in with the Winter Nature Study over at Harmonyartsmom's blog--that looks like fun!

So...it looks like we'll have another year of fun and success with HOD using Bigger Hearts. Can't ask for more than that! :D
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Great first day with Bigger!

Post by Carrie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Vicki,

I'm so glad you had a great first day with Bigger! :D You sound so organized and have added such a personal touch to Bigger Hearts. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm! We loved Bigger Hearts last year and are really enjoying doing Preparing Hearts now. 8)

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Re: Great first day with Bigger!

Post by Kathleen » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:16 pm

Vicki - I know you're in for a great time with Bigger! :D (I felt the same excitement as you when we started in August...and we are still loving it! :lol: ) I love your extra things that you've added to fit your family. For us, "as is" is going great.

Have fun! You'll have to keep sharing how it's going.
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH