Making a Character chart for Bigger Hearts...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Vicki

Making a Character chart for Bigger Hearts...

Post by Vicki » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:12 am

Merry Christmas to all here!

I'm just going through some things this morning with my planning for Bigger Hearts, and I just had an idea to make a Character Chart with each character quality that is explored in the manual. Since gift wrap will be on sale in the next few days or so, I thought it'd be nice to get some gold wrapping paper (it's cheaper and more accessible than gold scrapbooking paper). I'd like to cover some index cards with the gold paper, then put the character quality on the card in some way, either on a smaller sheet of white paper so that the gold shows on the edges or just write on the gold paper (not really sure how that's going to look...).

Anyway, I'd like to come up with a chart for these to add onto. The first thought that came to mind is one of those science chart thingies from Walmart with some velcro. I'm thinking of adding the definition and scripture verse on the back of the card, so maybe now a clear pocket might work better, as I'd have trouble getting all of that on the back of the card with the addition of the velcro to stick with---I don't know how I'd get the clear pockets on except glue-- then I had the crazy idea about the two shower curtains sewn together to make pockets, and putting the cards in them. I know this is not making any sense, but if you are following along with my drift, can you help me think this through??? I would love to have some more ideas to help this gel to fruition. I think we'd really get a lot out of using something like this, and it would (just IMHO) be great for review.

Can anyone help me along with this? Thanks so much!
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

inHistiming

Re: Making a Character chart for Bigger Hearts...

Post by inHistiming » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:28 am

Have you seen the pocket-charts that teachers use in their classrooms? Often they have cards with room chores on them, and place them in this chart for easy viewing. This might be something you could use. I'm not sure how large they make them, but I'm sure you could find one at a teacher supply store, and possibly at a homeschooling shop. Just an idea... :P

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:20 am

What about those over the door plastic shoe organizers? It's got the clear pockets and has reinforced holes so you can hang it on the wall, or over the door with the included hardware. We use these organizers for our winter hats, gloves and such in our coat closet. We also use them for organizing the bathroom when on vacation.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:03 am

Thanks for your suggestions! I love anything that makes life easier for me! :lol:

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:17 pm

I love your idea! I hope you will share it with us when you are done! We have added The Narrow Way from Parables to our Bigger study to go a little deeper. We have really enjoyed lining the two together. I am drawing a blank beyond what others are suggesting but I would love to see what you end up doing! :D

Also just adding these in case you have not seen them. You can print them for free. :D
http://www.notebookingpages.com/index.p ... ning_Cards
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:25 am

What a great idea! For the pockets, you could check out the templtaes on www.homeschoolshare.com. There are lots of templates you could use for variety of projects on their website. Look under lapbook resources and then templates; as a plus everything on this website is FREE! I have used it plenty of times.

Best wishes and let us know how your chart turns out...

Nancy
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:30 pm

Just wanted to pop in to say that I'm busy working on my character trait cards. I'm very happy with them so far, and will try to post a photo if can figure out how. I still am undecided about how to display them though. I do want to say however, if you want to do something like this, I have found bible gateway dot com to be a great source for looking up printable verses, and also to get the translation you would like to use--very easy to do!