Teaching calendar skills - days of the week, months, etc

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Samuel'sMommy

Teaching calendar skills - days of the week, months, etc

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:01 pm

Do any of the guides cover calendar skills? Maybe in the math portion (I'm not sure where else it would fall)? I looked through the Singapore site but couldn't tell if that was covered or not. Samuel has no clue about the days of the week, months, etc and I had thought about getting some kind of calendar for him when we start the new year to begin working on learning this but then thought it might be covered by HOD later on. If it's not covered, does anyone have any good suggestions for introducing this? I have seen magnetic calendars on a couple of websites that have weather, seasons, days of the week, months, and i thought that might be a neat idea but if it's covered later in HOD I'd rather just wait till then and spend our time now on other things.
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

MamaBear23Cubs

Re: Teaching calendar skills - days of the week, months, etc

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:51 pm

I am using Little Hands right now with my little ones. I have a calendar that I bought at the teacher store along with the preprinted cards with numbers. (different designs for each month) When I remember we sing a song and talk about the calendar. Sometimes I get them to do it and other times they are asking me to learn the calendar. I also have a birthday cakes on my door. I have a cake with each month on them. Then everyone names are on candles that go to the month they were born. We go over the months when we feel like it. I know in First Language lessons you will go over this stuff. I used First Language Lessons with my oldest.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

momof4

Post by momof4 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:43 am

I can't remember the unit in LHTH (and I borrowed my copy out to a friend), but the Days of the week are taught in one of the Rhymes in Motion. My son still uses this rhyme when we talked about what day it is. The months of the year are taught in LHFHG in Unit 11 (we just did it and my son loved TRYING to do summersaults!). Beyond that, we just grab the calendar off the wall and talk about what day of the week it is and how many days until something he is looking forward to. Right now, it's the number of days until Christmas. :D

We use a different math (found it before we found LHTH and dh doesn't want to change) and it teaches calendar so I would assume Singapore will at some point, but have no clue. I'm sure some Singapore users will help you out there.

Hope that helps.
Laurie
dd's 22, 17
ds 9 - Bigger
dd 5 - LHFHG

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:18 pm

Months of the year and days of the week are covered in LHFHG in the Rhymes section (various weeks) and in week 30 some calendar work is included in Math. As other posters have stated, we do calendar work as it seems to fit into whatever we are studying (such as seasons or weather in science). I haven't a made a big fuss about it, my daughter does seem to be understanding calendar issues as we cover them. I'm sure that you approach calendar facts in a "gentle" way your dear one will "get it". :D
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

erdrmom

Post by erdrmom » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:06 am

Others have already stated that LHFHG has some calendar work as well as Singapore 2A. I did our calendar work in pre-K. My dd was very interested in the days of the week early, around age 3, so I found other resources. I found some information on calendar studies (and money as well) at learningpage.com. I also bought a "Days of the Week" poster at my local teacher supply store. I made little place markers using clothespins and paper that said, "Today is," "Tomorrow will be," and "Yesterday was." This helped her learn the days of the week, as well as past, present and future days. My DH travels frequently for work so this helps both kids understand when Daddy will be back. We stil incorporate changing the days into our program daily. The months of the year took longer, but she knew the days of the week before we started LHFHG.

Blessings,

Cindi
www.tdfamily.blogspot.com
Blessings,

Cindi
Loved teaching and learning through LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, & DITHOR
Planning for the upcoming year with DD10 in CTC half-pace and DS7 in BHFHG half-pace

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:22 am

Here is a song my ds learned when he went to pre-school...all the kids seemed to like it.

Sing to the Adam's Family theme song tune.

Chorus:
The days of the week, (snap, snap)...snapping your fingers
The days of the week, (snap, snap)
Days of the week, days of the week, days of the week. (snap, snap)

There's Sunday and there's Monday,
there's Tuesday and there's Wednesday,
there's Thursday and there's Friday,
and then there's Saturday.

back to chorus

Something simple and fun that may help...he still remembers it and he's turning 11 next month! :shock:

marypoppins

Post by marypoppins » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:54 pm

My dd loves the rhyme she learned in week 11 or 12 of LHFHG with the months of the year. I even hear her practicing it in the shower sometimes! :lol:

I also purchased CLE's "My Calendar Book" from Rainbow Resource for less than $5.00. It is a wonderful little book! It has a two-page spread for each month, with one page being a coloring page and the other a blank grid for the month. Each day your dc will put the date in the proper place in the grid, and then there is an activity to do each day also. For example, in September she was to circle the type of clouds in the sky that day, and then for Nov. she would check a box whether the grass was wet, dry, or had frost. Then there are some pages in the back to graph that information. For kindergarten, we are not graphing anything, but I may do it with her again next year. :wink:

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:23 am

I learned a song with the days of the week in it when I was in K. It was sung to the tune of London Bridges.

God made 7 days in a week
Days in a week,
Days in a week.
God made 7 days in a week.
Can you name them?

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday,
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday,
Saturday makes 7.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:19 am

I don't know if this helps, but I printed and laminated the days of the week, months and seasons from one of the Montessori printable sites. Montessori for everyone has on their site a freebie of the season names and photos that go with them. We used them on a mat, Montessori-style, and put them in order or matched, according to the activity. You could google Montessori days of the week printables, and something will come up. I think I got mine from montessorimaterials dot com. If you have a laminator, these are so durable and can be used over and over by several children.
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:24 am

erdrmom wrote:Others have already stated that LHFHG has some calendar work as well as Singapore 2A. I did our calendar work in pre-K. My dd was very interested in the days of the week early, around age 3, so I found other resources. I found some information on calendar studies (and money as well) at learningpage.com. I also bought a "Days of the Week" poster at my local teacher supply store. I made little place markers using clothespins and paper that said, "Today is," "Tomorrow will be," and "Yesterday was." This helped her learn the days of the week, as well as past, present and future days. My DH travels frequently for work so this helps both kids understand when Daddy will be back. We stil incorporate changing the days into our program daily. The months of the year took longer, but she knew the days of the week before we started LHFHG.

Blessings,

Cindi
http://www.tdfamily.blogspot.com
We do a version of this. I have cards that I made and laminated which has the days of the week. DD made weather drawings on some cards to mark today's weather. And we have a weekend or weekday card to hang also. I stuck magnets on the back and then painted magnetic paint on the wall under the light switch. (I put down those peel off wallpaper squares first in case we want to remove it someday.)
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH