Something like Pocketfull of Pinecones in HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mamaduke

Something like Pocketfull of Pinecones in HOD?

Post by mamaduke » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:02 pm

I'm wondering about when to implement CM style nature journals? Does this fall into science category? Are those kind of activities written into the guides somewhere? I would like to do something like in Karen Andreola's book "Pocketfull of Pinecones." Is there anything like that already in the guides?

Learning.
Thanks so much.
Julie
9yo ds completed Little Hands, Little Hearts, Beyond, and currently in Bigger
6yo twin girls completed Little Hands, currently in Little Hearts
4yo ds alongside
1 yo darling dd, stuffing crayons in her onesie
#6 due in April!

mamaduke

Re: Something like Pocketfull of Pinecones in HOD?

Post by mamaduke » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Is anyone doing a nature journal?

I know it's winter, but (I'm reading) that isn't supposed to matter, at least for everyday outside time. We're in WI and it is below zero even in the daylight right now. We all trooped out there for about 15 minutes yesterday. Maybe we'll do some bird watching at the feeders from inside. I just received Simply Charlotte Mason's Hours Out of Doors book and it's pretty good. I hope to start a nature journal with my ds but am wondering if something like that is written into the guides anywhere.

It looks like fun.
Julie
4yo ds alongside
#6 due in April!

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:59 pm

I am currently in a few states below you and ya we are inside doing our nature. Watching the birds, a squirrel, our seven stray cats. Over the summer we would catch stuff in jars and draw a picture of them and write down the name of what we caught. We never really gone pass just that. I did a few internet stuff and got a few books from the library if my DD was more interested in learning more about the bugs we caught. After she finished her drawing I put it in her binder under science. I found a neat nature study book that I am buying her for her birthday. It has a drawing area and below as lines and asks what the plant/animal is, how it lives, eats and stuf like that. It is spiral bound so it be great for keeping for school.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:54 am

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but there is a nature study you could print for free at Google books. It's called Type Lessons for Primary Teachers by Anna McGovern. It is divided by seasons, so you could just print the appropriate seasons as you need them.

Another nice freebie is Nature Study Made Easy , again at Google books for free.

Hope one of those might help!
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

marypoppins

Post by marypoppins » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:28 pm

Hi there,
None of the HOD guides have nature study scheduled per se that I am aware of, but I was thinking you may want to look at the Small Square books used for science in a few of the guides. It is not scheduled, but if you live near any of the habitats discussed, you could study a "small square" as suggested in those books. :D

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:55 pm

http://www.donnayoung.org has some free nature study pages. Here is the link: http://donnayoung.org/science/natj/natrjrnl.htm

mamaduke

Post by mamaduke » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:43 pm

Thank you for the help given here. I do wish to implement a nature journal sometime soon, not now. Ds is barely able to draw stick figures! But it's something I'm interested in and plan to do in the future.

The pages at Donnayoung looked very nice for that. Pretty lined and decorated "blank" journal pages with sketch space.

The google book suggestions were very nice as well and had some interesting seasonal ideas. It was published in 1905! I was pleased to be able to download it.

I read some other ideas on SimplyCharlotteMason like drawing still life (houseplants {poinsettias} fruit bowl) or pets, while indoors over the winter. Also someone mentioned a study of snow or observing how snow melts under black paper as opposed to white paper.

I appreciate the input and thoughts shared here.

Blessings, and MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Julie
4yo ds alongside
#6 due in April!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:04 pm

Julie,

Here's a few links to some great past threads on this very topic: :D

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1733

Blessings,
Carrie