Opinions wanted: Audio for new guide...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Opinions wanted: Audio for new guide...

Post by Carrie » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Ladies,

We have only one "book" choice left for the EXTENSION PACKAGE (targeted at 6th and 7th graders) of Hearts for Him Through Time: Creation to Christ, and we're having a tough time making a decision! I'd love to have your opinions on this one. :D

We are planning to include the audio for Cat of Bubastes (by G.A. Henty). The Henty books can be tough to read, but this particular Henty book is one we like quite a bit. Cat of Bubastes seems to be easier than the other Henty books, and it does a great job of giving a picture of life in Ancient Egypt. So, we are planning to offer the book on audio and cannot choose between Jim Hodges unabridged audio (which is 12 hours long, only plays on an MP3 player or computer, and is $25.00) or Jim Weiss' abridged audio (which is 6 hours long, plays on a CD player, and is $30). Both are very well-done. The unabridged one has all of the detailed passages right from the original book. The abridged audio removes half of that detail to keep the story moving faster. :wink:

We will definitely schedule the listening sessions to be around 30 min. or less until the book is complete, no matter which we choose. If we did choose the unabridged recording, we would also offer the option of getting the book instead of the audio for those who have very strong readers that prefer to read right from the book. Our concerns are that the longer audio with its descriptions may lose some listeners, yet the CM style learner in me loves the idea of the unabridged book. Both are a solid choice, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. :D

Here's a link to Sing N' Learn where you can hear both recordings. Edited to add: When you click on the links below, it will take you to a description of the CD. Just scroll down until you get to "Click here to listen to a sample", and then click on it to listen.:
Unabridged: http://www.singnlearn.org/khxc/ccp0-pro ... odges.html
Abridged: http://www.singnlearn.org/khxc/ccp0-prodshow/227.html

Blessings,
Carrie

deltagal

Re: Opinions wanted: Audio for new guide...

Post by deltagal » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:04 am

Hi Carrie,

We were not able to listen to the Jim Hodges sample from the link you provided, but we found a sample at Hodge's website:

http://www.jimhodgesaudiobooks.com/hent ... astes.html

We did have success with the Weiss sample. I think they are both fine, of course we are a little partial to Jim Weiss recordings, BUT since it is abridged it does make me more inclined to select the unabridged Hodges recording. My son, who is soon to turn 12, is very auditory and will not have any trouble listening to a longer recording. I, however, might :wink:

We'll be happy with whatever ultimately fits with the overall plan the BEST. :D
Last edited by deltagal on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:37 am

What about offering both. One for a child that has a harder time listening to great detail and one who thrives on it. Just reading what the pp said and my way would be the opposite to want more detail. My kids seem to thrive on it. But either way we are going to love it. :D

BTW I am not able to hear either link. Just going by what you said.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:58 pm

It's so nice that you ask for opinions on the board, Carrie. :)
I think either choice would be great. I almost always go with unabridged, but if they're REALLY long, sometimes my kids lose interest. With that being said, I have always been partial to anything done by Jim Weiss. :) I can't wait to find out what you pick. We are so excited about the new ancients program. :D

Allison

HollyinNNV

Post by HollyinNNV » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:59 pm

I always go with unabridged. If both audio versions are of good quality, I'd suggest the unabridged version.
Holly

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:43 pm

Ok my 9.5 year old son :D said Jim Weiss version was better but he's a long way off from 6th or 7th grade LOL.

I started the samples without telling him what I was doing and I played Hodges first and he didn't even look up. Then I played Weiss and he came over to the computer without me saying anything.

I personally prefer unabridged books and audio books but I liked Weiss better too.

Thanks for asking what our preferences are Carrie!

Oh and for those that couldn't open the samples try opening them in Real Player. That's how I got them to work for me. HTH.
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:59 pm

Thanks to all of you who responded! You were so gracious to take time out of your busy schedules to comment on this thread. I really appreciate your input. :D

I had to smile as it appears you each are as divided on this topic as I was! So, I'm not alone in struggling with this decision. :wink:

At this point it looks like we will be going with Jim Weiss' abridged recording for a couple of reasons. First, the actual reading level of the book "Cat of Bubastes" is 12.0 (meaning twelfth grade). While kiddos can listen to books read aloud that far exceed their grade level, we do wish for the listening to be a successful enjoyable experience. Second, the Cat of Bubastes book will be the second book in the Extension Pack reading schedule (so it is early in the year). We would hate for kiddos to feel like they can't comprehend or hang with the Extension Pack titles from the beginning. Third, we feel that since the Cat of Bubastes is often used in high school curriculums that listening to an abridgement in the upper middle school years may light a fire within the kiddos to read the unabridged version at some point (rather than being a turn-off to a great set of books at too early of an age). Last, the Jim Weiss recording is so well-done and his selective abridgement maintains the high quality of the story while keeping the story moving forward.

Hurrah! It appears the packages are all in place. As an update, we have decided to go with a choice of a Boy Interest, Girl Interest, or a History Interest Set in our read-alouds for the Storytime part of the plans for the new guide. We are excited about the choices and are looking forward to getting them up on the web hopefully sometime near the end of January! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:52 pm

This all looks so cool! I can't wait. While we usually go unabridged, I think you have excellent reasons for your choice. Now I'm just going to have to choose between boy interest and history interest. My then 6th grader is such a reader and such a big history buff, I may wind up with both! :D

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:55 pm

mamas4bugs,

I had to smile when I read your post, as I'm the same way! I usually always pick unabridged too. :wink:

I also am a huge book lover, and so we'll most likely cover more than one set in our home too. :D

Blessings,
Carrie