Tell me as much as you can about Preparing :)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TeacherMom

Tell me as much as you can about Preparing :)

Post by TeacherMom » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:21 pm

We are currently using MFW, but I am strongly considering using Preparing next year with a 9 and a 7 year old. I am currently reading through the Egermeier Story Bible with my children, and I am afraid that MFW Creation to the Greeks may feel like too much of a repeat to them since it is primarily an Old Testament study. (My oldest is also involved in a study of the Old Testament at church that I teach as well.)

Anyway.....I am considering doing a condensed one year world history next year and am looking at both SL core 1&2 and HOD Preparing.

Perhaps those who are using HOD can give me a good overview of the program.

Thanks!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Tell me as much as you can about Preparing :)

Post by Carrie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:26 pm

TeacherMom,

I was going to link you to a previous thread that was similar, and I realized (with a smile) that it was your thread too! :wink: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2111

It sounds like you are still struggling with this decision, and I know we'd all be glad to help you in any way we can. I think we could help you better, if we knew a little more specifically what areas you're wondering about?

Also, if you haven't already peeked a the weekly check-in... that is a great place to get a glimpse inside Preparing. Here's a link to that folder: viewforum.php?f=14

We're using it at our house right now with my second son, who is a 4th grader and are really enjoying ourselves. It is giving him such a good overview of world history and how it all fits together. 8)

Here's a few other testimonial type posts that are in the Preparing Hearts folder: viewforum.php?f=28

Blessings,
Carrie

TeacherMom

Post by TeacherMom » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:00 pm

Thank you, Carrie, for the links and for your patience. :)

I reread my previous thread, and am happy to say that I am not nearly as frustrated as I was. :)

Here are some specific questions:

1. Is CHOW read in its entirety?
2. Are all the readers from the extension package scheduled in the TM?
3. Will Old Testament passages be read throughout the study as they correlate with the history?
4. What is the benefit of doing this one year overview of world history rather than just jumping in at the
beginning with the ancients?
5. I have an ongoing list of just-great-books that I want to read to my children. Is my HOD schedule going
to be so full that I am not realistically going to have time to read aloud books of my choice to my dc?
6. Is picture and music study included?
7. What types of writing assignments are included? Are they primarily written summaries of the history readings?

I think that is enough for now!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

Blessings,
TeacherMom

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi TeacherMom. :) I am currently using Preparing with my 3rd and 4th grade boys. We are having so much fun and are all learning so much. :D I can probably answer a few of your questions.

1. I believe CHOW is read in its entirety, except for the first few chapters.
2. The regular readers are scheduled in the TM, I can't remember if the extension package books are scheduled, I'll have to get back with you on that. :)
3. Old Testament passages are read as they correlate with history.
4. For us the benefit is having a broad knowledge of history before starting an in-depth study of each time period, Carrie may have a different reason. :)
5. We have time for extra read alouds in the afternoon and evening. :) Preparing usually takes us about 3.5-4 hrs. a day.
6. Picture study is not scheduled. We use Friday for art & music study since Preparing is scheduled for 4 days. There is a music cd to use as part of Bible time, but I have not used it.
7. There is dictation, copywork, creative writing, science notebooking, written history summaries, and the writing instruction from Rod and Staff English.

Please feel free to ask any more questions you can think of. :)

Allison

Allison TX

Post by Allison TX » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi TeacherMom. Okay, I just checked, and the books in the Extension Package are scheduled in the back of the TM. It tells you what to read daily. Hope this helps! :)

Allison

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:27 pm

Well, Allison gets a gold star for those on the spot answers!!! :D I'll just add my 2 cents to a few of these questions
#4. What is the benefit of doing this one year overview of world history rather than just jumping in at the
beginning with the ancients?

I like the one year overview before jumping into the ancients because it puts the ancients in their proper "slot" in the overview of all of history. It also gives my ds "pegs" to hang the rest of his 4 year history cycles of learning upon. He'll essentially know something of the ancients prior to doing it, and he'll have a bit of a flavor for it. He'll have the excitement of revisiting the big ideas he learned about the ancients already, but become fully immersed in the details of it next year. It's a bit like knowing how amazing the Bible is after reading it in its entirety, but then completely loving the details of the Gospels when going back and just looking at Jesus' life (something I did this last year, and am now reading the gospels again I'm able to appreciate them so much more from reading the whole Bible first). Plus, the ancients require an older more mature student - the ancients were a time period full of the worship of many gods, confusion about what really happened and what was mythology, lots of violence that can be somewhat graphic, etc. I am confident in HOD's ability to handle all this, but I'm thankful my ds will be 1 more year older before he delves into the ancients.

5. I have an ongoing list of just-great-books that I want to read to my children. Is my HOD schedule going
to be so full that I am not realistically going to have time to read aloud books of my choice to my dc?
We finished PHFHG by noon today (about 4 hours). It took me longer the first month, but now in the second month we are clipping along beautifully. I have an entire "independent reading" shelf devoted to other books I want my dc to read independently or listen to on audio. I replenish the shelf at least once or twice a year, and there are a lot of books on it. I see you share my love of books too! Rest assured - they'll be time. :D

6. Is picture and music study included?
We're doing the Bible Music CD and loving it. It has been a helpful aid to my ds (and me :lol: ) in learning the scripture memory verses. We sing it together, and God touches my heart with that every time. My ds is getting older, and it's just an amazing feeling to praise God in that way together, after we've just talked about the verse and shared so much - the music is a heart-tugging way to end it.

7. What types of writing assignments are included? Are they primarily written summaries of the history readings?
I am LOVING the writing in PHFHG. You may have read any of my recent posts about how thrilled I am that my ds has come out of his shell and begun to write creatively so happily! The creative writing parallels the poetry, and it's got my ds doing personification, metaphors, similes, detailed descriptions - you name it - whatever is in the poetry, he is emulating beautifully, and believe me, that's an amazing thing for a boy not so into writing previously. The notebooking is so beneficial and laid out, the common place book has a special almost journal-like or diary -like feel to it, the vocabulary cards and 5 question answers have a research component to them, the lab report writing reinforces the scientific method, the written narrations are excellent paired with the lessons we do together on it, the dictation continues to improve my ds's spelling - well, as you can see there are many different forms of writing in PHFHG. All with a different skill involved, all with a different - but necessary - purpose.

Hope some of this helps! We couldn't be happier with PHFHG - it is simply a wonderful program!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:08 pm

TeacherMom,

The ladies have beat me to answering you, and I am VERY thankful. We've had a couple of sick kiddos here, so I'm running a bit behind on the board. :shock:

I agree wholeheartedly with the answers you'vereceived. Thanks Allison and Julie for being so gracious with your time! :D

My second son is using Preparing this year, and he is learning so much! It takes him 4 hours or less a day now that he's hit his stride. It did take him a bit to settle in (and in the beginning I felt like he would take all day to finish), but... he's come along beautifully and is genuinely enjoying his year. 8) My second little guy has always been my dawdler, so we've been working out the habit of diligence as we go!

Blessings,
Carrie