Supply list for Little Hands to Heaven?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jewel7123

Supply list for Little Hands to Heaven?

Post by jewel7123 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:01 am

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has created a supply list for Little Hands to Heaven, and if so, would you mind sharing it? I'd like to have everything on hand I will need so I can get started right away!

Thanks!
Jennifer in TX

jewel7123

Re: Supply list for Little Hands to Heaven?

Post by jewel7123 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:33 pm

I would REALLY appreciate some help in this area! I have a few basic supplies on hand, but I'd love to know exactly what I will need. For example, will I need wooden popsicle craft sticks, fuzzy pipe cleaners, glitter, glue-on "googly" eyes, etc.?
Jennifer in TX

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:49 pm

I don't really have a supply list and we haven't gotten too far into the book as I plan on using it over 2 years with my 4 year old, but this is what I have used so far:
old magazines
scissors
glue sticks
construction paper
copier (which I wish I had)
masking tape or painters tape (for making the letters on the floor--which my son loves--I needed to make the earth today for my 6 year old and he thought he would be having preschool when he saw me holding the painters tape)
tempera paint ( i needed white the other day, and I had purchased the basic colors of white, black, red, blue, and yellow because I can make all the other colors by mixing and matching).

Other than that I really have just kept a supply of crafty stuff on hand kind of like what you mentioned. One year I just went out and bought a little of everything so it could be on hand and sometimes we use it a lot and other times we do not.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little and have fun making your list and shopping!!!

Jessica
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

jewel7123

Post by jewel7123 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:54 pm

Thanks for the help Jessica. I went to Walmart tonight and bought a few things, but I still need to get more stuff. I looked at the tempera paint, but it wasn't washable (at least what they had at Walmart) so I got some Washable Poster Paint by Palmer. Will this work the same way? I sure hope so.
Jennifer in TX

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:41 am

I haven't made a supply list either. I used the washable poster paint for the black paint that I needed the 1st day as our Wal-mart didn't have washable tempera paint either. (Our only shpping option that's not an hour away. :roll: ) My Wal-Mart has a box of little washable Crayola kids paints that comes with 10 colors. No black...but they have every other color. :D

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

jewel7123

Post by jewel7123 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:48 am

So did your black paint work for that project? The one where you paint over the white crayon? How did it turn out....
Jennifer in TX

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:05 pm

Hi Jewel! I can vouch for Kathleen's black paint working out because I saw the most darling picture she posted of her daughter doing that project, and the white crayon shone through just great! I've done LHTH twice and not needed more than old catalogs to cut out of and basic art supplies, like construction paper, crayons, bottle glue, glue stick, scissors, washable paint, glitter, maybe a few craftsticks and pipe cleaners. Many household supplies are used too, like tin foil, wax paper, saran wrap, cotton balls, cheerios, q-tips, etc. I've pretty much always had everything on hand or been able to sub in something similar if need be. HTH, and I'm so excited for you to begin LHTH! I know you are going to have a blast doing it! :D Get ready to see some real growth by the end of the year of doing it. My dc learned to listen to stories and answer questions, cutting/gluing art skills, how to put fun actions to fingerplays, to sing and dance along with The Singing Bible, all their letters and a sound for each of them, to write numbers, hop letters, to love their story Bibles (the cover has fallen off :D ), and so many other neat things that I attribute to LHTH! :D Welcome the HOD board, and I can't wait to hear about your LHTH experience!

In Christ,
Julie :)
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:53 pm

jewel7123 wrote:So did your black paint work for that project? The one where you paint over the white crayon? How did it turn out....
ImageImage
It worked great! :D Allison was very worried because she couldn't "see" her picture with the white crayon...and she's very dramtic about everything! :wink: I agree with Julie that it's been very easy to just open-and-go with LHTH and honestly have everything on hand - or can easily substitute. If you live out of town (which I do - so I know a trip to town for one thing DOES NOT happen), you could easily grab the guide and do a quick scan of the next few days to make sure you have everything. In LHTH, the supplies for the little art projects are even in bold print! You could even throw the guide in the van and scan it in the Wal-Mart parking lot. The boxed set-up makes it super easy to scan.

Have lots of masking tape on hand. :D :wink: :D The letter activity on the giant tape letter is a favorite at my house every week! Besides the "tempera" paint you'll also occasionally use watercolors like these.

Fingerpaint is one of your options sometimes, too. One week pudding is an option to make letters in. :wink: Yum! Yum! (I was so sad that we were out of chocolate...but that just meant that we got to do it again after I went shopping! :roll: )

Have fun!
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:07 pm

jewel7123 wrote:I would REALLY appreciate some help in this area! I have a few basic supplies on hand, but I'd love to know exactly what I will need. For example, will I need wooden popsicle craft sticks, fuzzy pipe cleaners, glitter, glue-on "googly" eyes, etc.?
The only one of these that I've used (through unit 9) is glitter. We used that in unit 5...so if you're spreading this out, you've got a while for that. And on that unit, Carrie gives you the option of sprinkling salt, coffee grounds, glitter, or any kind of spice on the letter. So you wouldn't have to use it. (I love the options!) We still have a few stray "sparkles" that made their way to the carpet. :D

Homeschooling mom to 6:
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH