Wondering what to do

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my4sugars

Wondering what to do

Post by my4sugars » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:33 pm

This is our first year using HOD and I am completely loving it. It has been such a peaceful experience, this our first year homeschooling as well, to have found a curriculum that so meets our needs. I am currently using LHFHG with my two dds for K, which is a great fit, and Beyond for my ds for 2nd grade with math in Bigger. I've been thinking ahead to next year and am a little at a loss. I'm wondering if I should use Beyond with the girls for 1st grade or adapt and save it for 2nd grade. I like the pace it sets for my son and want the same for the girls. I'm just not sure if they will be over their heads in 1st using Beyond. Help! What are some other options if I want to save Beyond for 2nd grade for them? What do I do about 1st grade? I'm just not sure. Thanks so much.
Kimi~
Mama to the 4
greatest kids
this side of heaven!
Jesse, Shannon, Mary, & Seth

netpea

Re: Wondering what to do

Post by netpea » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:02 am

The manuals build well off each other. But if you don't think they are ready to do Beyond at Full speed, you could always slow it down by doing the left side of the page on one day and right side on the other. That would spread it out over two years if you kept that pace all year. You can always go back to full speed partway through the year if they are ready. If you decide to go half speed, you could easily add in extra read alouds or other activities into your day if you want.

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:38 am

The pp is a good option. You could also slow the pace of LHFHG or just do it 3-4 days/week. That way it takes you longer to get through it, prolonging the time it takes you to get to Beyond. My plan in to do LHFHG at half pace (one side of plans per day) except do math everyday. That way, we land in beyond in 2nd and we've covered K math and 1st math in LHFHG already. Just another option! HTH!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:02 am

I've wondered the same thing...how to prolong (or repeat) LHFHG or HOD altogether really (hey I want to get as far as I can with HOD...I'm praying that you get called to continue to write guides through hs too Carrie!!!! :mrgreen: ).

I'm currently using Little Hearts....for K and have *thought* about possibly using it again for 1st, using the 1st grade materials, continueing on with phonics. Bible will be the same, but I'm ok with going through the bible again so that's not an issue. I can add new scriptures for memorization, and can substitute other books for read alouds (there are many more Dover books to read so I was thinking getting more of those! We love them! :D ). This is just a thought, and I still have MUCH time to think and rethink (and pray) before making up my mind. Don't know if this helps you at all....
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:32 pm

I am just dittoing the other ladies on here about slowing down LHFHG. At the K and 1st grade level, children don't need a lot of intensive learning beyond reading, writing, and math skills. The rest is bonus so if you have to slow it down, do it.

Kelly, do you think your daughter would be bored doing the activities, science, drama, etc again if you repeated? I am curious because that was originally what I had planned to do. Seems like just when I know what I want to do, I change my mind.

I have thought about just doing the right side of LHFHG for K with the ABC bible verses from LHTH since we stopped doing those when we stopped doing LHTH. And using Let's Read and Find Out books for science. Then using LHFHG as is for 1st with the emergent readers from Beyond (as she is already learning how to read now). But who knows. I am planning to start in January at 1/2 pace and then ramp it up as we get closer to the end of it as Julie says that is what she did with both of her boys and they've moved into the next levels just fine. It should take us about a year and a half to finish LHFHG. But I like hearing other people's plans because that may spark a better idea for me.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:34 pm

some people spread it out over 2 years by doing 17 units the first year and 17 units the 2nd year. you could add extra read-alouds or use the extra books in the appendix to further your study of each unit. also, you could use DITHOR for 2nd grade to complement your reading program. HTH!
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:57 pm

Jessi wrote:Kelly, do you think your daughter would be bored doing the activities, science, drama, etc again if you repeated? I am curious because that was originally what I had planned to do. Seems like just when I know what I want to do, I change my mind.
I don't think so because 1.) she loves doing them and many times asks to do them even in her own time, 2.) much time will have gone by before they are done again and 3.) some of the activities in that box say "for younger children...." / "for older children...." and we have primarily always gone with the younger child suggestion when those are presented.

Plus adding in some of the great appendix stuff.....I think it could work. :?: Possibly? 8)

Anyway, it's just an idea that I've been tossing around in my head. Certainly not something I've set my mind too yet. And then move up a guide every year after that, which with Carrie's 4 new guides to be coming out, will bring us with her last guide (assuming she still doesn't feel called to write through hs) at 8th grade. Right???

Either way, I KNOW we'll be getting some more of the Burgess books......I've been checking them out on line and there are TONS of them! I want them ALL! (oh...I mean Evelyn wants them all. :oops: :D :wink: ) Seriously, why didn't anyone ever introduce these to me when I was younger? And I was such a book worm, I would have loved them as much then as I do now!
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

tmcg

Post by tmcg » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:20 pm

Just wanted to let you know that i was thinking that when my 4 yo is done with Little Hands and we do Little Hearts next year (again because my 6 yo is currently using it) then I would just read different Dover books, we bought one of the sets, so we have a lot extra. I have issues w/ getting ahead in one thing, like math or reading and then behind in the other, so I go with the flow and try to keep myself close to the schedule but have decided as long as the Bible and the history are together then that is the most important part with the unit study. We sometimes take a day off of HOD to do other HS stuff, like makng birthday cards or for a field trip, so I feel behind, but I think my 6 yo (1st grader) is reading at a 2nd grade level. She can read her own Bible and LOVES the music....thank you for the CDs!!!! I love HOD. Any other curriculum I couldnt do this with and I love the texts HOD uses.

Tammy
Tammy
Mom to dd, 6, 1st grade, LHFHG
dd, 5, Pre-K, LHTH
ds, 2, Toddler Pre-K, LHTH (he loves the songs)
Wife to Jonathan (12 years in June)

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:44 pm

I just wanted to add that we used Little Hearts for K and have transitioned nicely into Beyond for 1st. I don't find it to be too difficult for my dd and she is enjoying the program. I just wanted to throw that out there to let you know Beyond can make a great 1st grade program if you wanted to go that route. HTH! :D

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:31 pm

Kimi,

Beyond actually is targeted for ages 6-8, so many moms use it for a first grade program. My younger sister used it with her son for first grade too. and he wasn't even 6 yet then. If your children can handle LHFHG, and are doing fine, then there's no reason to slow down instead of heading into Beyond. The programs build well upon one another, and the skills in one program will prepare your little sweeties for the next one. :D

So, I would just keep teaching LHFHG at the speed that is successful for your little honeys right now. Then, when you get to Beyond, you could always do half-speed or even just do a 4 day program each week, thus stretching it 9 weeks into the following year to finish. We loved having a 4 day week when my kiddos were in their younger years of HOD. I wouldn't suggest repeating LHFHG, as both you are your kiddos will want a fresh new look. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Lori_in_Austin

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:07 pm

holyhart wrote: Either way, I KNOW we'll be getting some more of the Burgess books......I've been checking them out on line and there are TONS of them! I want them ALL! (oh...I mean Evelyn wants them all. :oops: :D :wink: ) Seriously, why didn't anyone ever introduce these to me when I was younger? And I was such a book worm, I would have loved them as much then as I do now!
I know what you mean ! I feel so robbed and cheated !!! I wrote in another post how I, myself, LOVE to read the Burgess books. I got on Dovers website and tried to buy the entire set, but it was out of stock. It has the option of receiving a notification email when it is available so I submitted it ! I just ordered "The Burgess Seashore Book for Children" by Burgess and cannot wait to read it. Why does it say on the cover it is for children ?!!

Lori
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:19 am

I too love the Burgess books! I'm so glad that Carrie included some in LHFHG or I never would have known about them!

But back to the original topic.... I personally don't think it's a big deal to go on to Beyond.... I wouldn't repeat LHFHG myself because I always want to be moving forward. I'm going to hit Beyond... with a 5.5 year old and I truly don't think it will be above her capabilities because she's been fine with LHFHG and Carrie has designed this currciulum to build skills so well. We even add the extra books most weeks and haven't had any problems at all. That said, I'll probably slow back to one side of the plans a day when we get to Beyond... for as long as I feel that is necessary. I'm planning on doing it that way for a year, then we'll do it as written for the 2nd half of the book, which will take us half a school year and we'll put her in Bigger... closer to the targeted age range. But, we might continue at one side a day if I feel that's working best. That's the great thing about HOD, it is so flexible and you can really tailor it to fit your family.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:01 am

I'm the sister who used Beyond... for my first grader and loved it! :lol: I'd suggest just continuing with the order of the guides, and then if it becomes too much, slow down the pace to half-speed for awhile. We have yet to need to do that for our oldest, who is now doing PHFHG at age 8 turning 9 very soon. My middle ds will be doing Beyond early too, right about when he's turning 6, and he's ready for it. I'd just encourage you to continue with the pace that fits your dd the best. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my4sugars

Post by my4sugars » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:47 pm

Thank you so much for all the advice. After reading all the posts, I think knowing that my girls and seeing that they are handling the full load very well, progressing on into Beyond may be the right step. Like many of you said, I can always slow down if I see them struggling.

I guess the difference I'm seeing is that my oldest ds who is using Beyond is doing well, but there have been some instances where I see he's working below his potential but that there are other issues we are dealing with that are not academic. He was in a private school for K and 1st and was pushed way to hard, causing him to be easily overwhelmed and to lose his love for learning. The great part of choosing the gentle approach of Beyond was that he has had his 2nd grade year to put that behind him and discover that school and learning can be fun. As a result, Beyond has been a perfect match for him this year.

On the flip side, my girls are starting their journey with HOD and are progressing amazingly well. And are begging for more at the end of our day. Mama just has to take a step back sometimes and remember that I'm not trying to do a "cookie-cutter" approach with our learning. The great part of HOD is you can always find the right fit for each of your little HODies. Thank you again, ladies, for the support and encouragement. What a blessing to have this board. It's a Godsend!!!
Kimi~
Mama to the 4
greatest kids
this side of heaven!
Jesse, Shannon, Mary, & Seth